The Eye of the Leopard by Henning Mankell

The Eye of the Leopard (1990)

by Henning Mankell

English (6)  Spanish (1)  All languages (7)
What I thought would be an early Kurt Wallander turned out to be a non-mystery and overall enjoyable until it just fizzled out in the last few chapters. The story was interesting, jumping between Sweden and Zambia, and it was told well but then it seemed to have no place to go.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
The book was catching. Not in the sense of "who-dunnit", but more like how will this end, what will Hans do, will he survive.
I find it amazing how the author succeeds to describe a life full of failure of a man of very good intentions without being boring. He put his finger right on the sour spot. But, I cannot tell exactly WHY Hans always fails, for me it is a combination of upbringing, making the wrong decisions and circumstances. ( )
1 vote BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
I'd wanted to read Mankell since seeing a Wallander adaptation of Masterpiece Mystery. Our local library had only one Mankell - "The Eye of the Leopard." Pretty disappointing. It's a Swedish smorgasbord of guilt, high-minded intentions, stasis, racism, loathing of racism, loathing of self, loathing of family, loathing of Sweden (only the late Olof Palme comes out with reputation intact), African stereotypes, rage, and - really - a woman without a nose who plays jazz trombone. I had to force myself to slog through this self-conscious mess to the end, which has no satisfying payoff. Can't recommend this one. ( )
  fromkin | Sep 29, 2011 |
Mankell is an excellent writer, not just a mystery writer. I may not have liked the content of this book (the chasm between black and white in Africa), but the writing is a joy to read. ( )
  love2laf | Sep 8, 2010 |
Set in Africa.Main Character Hans Olofsen wonders why he stayed in Africa. He is Swedish. Again the brutality of Africa seems to have roots in the past. Interesting book but not a real mystery more a book about the main character development and past. ( )
  agathanaylor | Jan 17, 2009 |

Henning Mankellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Luijten, ClementineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Han vaknar i den afrikanska natten och tror plötsligt att hans kropp har rämnat.
English translation = The Eyes of the Leopard

Arriving in newly independent Zambia in the hopes of fulfilling a friend's missionary dream, Hans Olofson endeavors to make Africa his home while struggling with such past demons as his father's alcoholism and a friend's accident.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible