The Duke's Guide to Correct Behavior by…

The Duke's Guide to Correct Behavior

by Megan Frampton

An entertaining read - A reluctant, reprobate Duke who didn't expect to attain the title, the businesswoman trying to climb out of difficult circumstances, and the bastard child that brings them together.

While the story had its funny moments, I did find that the author cracked herself up more than she did this reader, but it was fun to read. The Duke tended toward immaturity, providing a perfect foil to the governess to his child who was able to teach him how to grow up as well. ( )
  Karla.Brandenburg | Dec 12, 2017 |
A reluctant Duke and a business woman in need of a coup

The Duke's guide is an entertaining read, with an immature, unpolished Duke who never expected to be given the title, and the woman he hires as his new found, illegitimate daughter's governess, the perfect foil to teach him how to grow up without kowtowing to his "duke-ness."

Lighthearted and witty, the author did tend to crack herself up more often than this reader, but it was still a fun read.
  Karla.Brandenburg | Dec 12, 2017 |
I've read many a (Victorian) romance novel in my time. And for a certainty, they can always be wagered on to guarantee the following common attributes: A beautiful, sassy, supple, and witty young virgin maiden; a tall, tanned and muscular Lord, Duke, or Count—whom, by the way, will fall helpless victim to the Lady in Waiting's captivating charms; endless wells of riches and wealth; sprawling manors; an abundance of drama between both the Noble and the maiden, etc., etc.

The Duke's Guide to Correct Behavior (Dukes Behaving Badly, #1) is no exception. If I must bloody say it, I must bloody say it: Such redundancy has become a bore ... For it has waxed itself weary. ( )
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
This was a good read for when you want something quick, historical, and slightly silly. (Not silly in a bad way; it was a cute lighthearted read.)

Our hero in this story is Marcus, Duke of Rutherford, an irresponsible man who has unexpectedly inherited the title. Just as unexpectedly, he is confronted with his illegitimate daughter and realizes he needs to make some changes in his life. This is how we meet our heroine, Lily Russell, who presents herself as a governess for the Duke's daughter. There is somewhat of an instant attraction between Lily and Marcus, which creates a problem because of the differences in their class (this novel takes place during the Victorian era).

I loved Marcus and his willingness to do the right thing and take in his daughter when other members of the ton would have sent her away. His interaction with Lily and determination to show her that someone cared about her was very sweet and endearing. It was obvious he had a very strong attraction to Lily, but he got on my nerves for a bit when he was determined to find a "proper" wife, which seemed to discount Lily's feelings as a person. But, of course, he redeems himself in a very big way by the end so all is forgiven.

Lily's character really makes you think what it would have been like if you would have lived during the Victorian era (or other historical times). Lily is considered a fallen woman because her father lost all her money and she was forced to work. My goodness, it makes you think what kind of position I would have had in society back then. I definitely would have been considered a bluestocking spinster (and maybe even an old maid) given my status as an single, educated 35 y/o woman who likes to read! But Lily faces the facts andstarts an employment agency with her friends to help other fallen women, which is very respectable. I would have liked to see a little more detail about the women they were helping, but we just have to use our imagination there. Lily also got along great with Rose, the Duke's daughter, who was a very precocious 4 year old.

This was my first governess story, so I wasn't sure how I would like it. But the family dynamics and transcendence of class lines worked well (and made me glad we don't have to deal w/ these issues to such an extent today). There was also enough lighthearted humor to make me smile on several occasions and keep the story going along at a nice pace. 3.5 stars / 2 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
OK, but not compelling enough to make me want to see out others in the series. ( )
  jholcomb | Jan 30, 2015 |

When Miss Lily Russell crosses the threshold of the Duke of Rutherford's stylish townhouse, she knows she has come face to face with sensual danger. For this is no doting papa. Rather, his behavior is scandalous, and his reputation rightly earned. And his pursuit of her is nearly irresistible--but resist she must for the sake of her pupil. As for the duke himself, it was bad enough when his unknown child landed on his doorstep. Now Lily, with her unassuming beauty, has aroused his most wicked fantasies--and, shockingly, his desire to change his wanton ways. He's determined to become worthy of her, and so he asks for her help in correcting his behavior. But Lily has a secret, one that, if it becomes known, could change everything...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible