Rival Love (Rival Love, #1) by Natalie…

Rival Love (Rival Love, #1)

by Natalie Decker

322,001,085 (2.5)None
Recently added bytubs90, ysar, lornajarkin

Let’s go with brutal honesty… I pretty much hated this one. I thought the rivalry conflict was a cute idea, and while I expected it to be a little over-the-top, I didn’t expect it to be laughably unbelievable.

High school kids aren’t exactly known for maturity, but these kids act like their competing sports teams are opposing armies in a holy war, and the single-minded vitriol to which they subject each other is just irritating. I understand sports rivalries and the juvenile mindset of the high school kids, but instead of being a cute basis for conflict, it’s simply absurd. Skylar’s boyfriend of two years dumps her because he refuses to date someone from a rival school. Every single friend and acquaintance she has from before moving un-friends her on Facebook a few days after she moves — all of them. Her best friend since kindergarten says she can’t talk to her anymore. All because she’s switching schools. And I’m assuming because high school students have the cognizant abilities of amoeba?

Caleb, who we’re somehow supposed to believe is a plausible love interest, is a grade-A douche. The second he meets Skylar, he’s hateful toward her. He doesn’t resent her for her mom’s relationship with his uncle or for moving in with them. He simply hates her because she used to attend the other high school. Never mind that the whole moving thing is completely out of her hands. That won’t get in the way of his cruelty. And then later in the book, when he sees her laughing with someone, he wonders why she’s such a b**** to him. Really???

The adults in the book are about as observant as corpses. Skylar is mercilessly picked on from the second she steps into the school, with other students calling her names, throwing things at her throughout every class, trying to dump drinks on her, and actually chasing her through the school until she hides for the rest of the day in a closet. Oh, and then there was the girl that gave her a black eye and busted lip. Of course, none of the teachers notice anything’s amiss. And the principal blames her for causing trouble. And her mother grounds her. In this world, it seems that everyone over the age of 25 wears earplugs and blinders, and there’s a good chance they’ve all undergone lobotomies.

I should have just stopped reading when I saw that whoever masqueraded as an editor for the book doesn’t know the difference between scrap and scrape. I would have assumed it was a typo, but then it was repeated and repeated and repeated. But it would seem that the characters’ stupidity is contagious, and I was infected enough to keep it up for a few more chapters. Skylar vandalizes some things and goes for nut-punches every time a male crosses her, Caleb decides she can help his team get the edge on their rivals by spilling all the other team’s secrets, Skyar continues to go unnoticed as his housemate for a while using the super-advanced and ingenious disguise of a baseball cap, and probably sometime after I stopped reading, they fell in love and lived stupidly ever after. One can only hope they didn’t breed.

*Fic Central received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |
I don't feel like a lot of the reviews really give this book a fair shot. They say that it didn't end like they wanted it to, but the story was good. I feel like you need to rate the overall book not just the ending so I will give it four out of five stars and say that Caleb and Sky definitely weren't the typical book couple. THey spent more time as enemies in the book than they did as a couple. The story starts with Sky transferring to her rival school because her mom has fallen in love with someone and they are moving in with him. Though Sky isn't happy about the situation she doesn't have a choice. Caleb is the star quarterback and wants nothing to do with Sky since he can't trust someone who is a Bulldog (the other school's mascot). You pick up on their connection long before they do. I can't wait to read Rival Hearts and see where the story goes. ( )
  lornajarkin | Nov 9, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,636,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible