The Captain's Bluestocking Mistress by Erica…

The Captain's Bluestocking Mistress

by Erica Ridley

I received The Captain's Bluestocking Mistress by Erica Ridley in exchange for my honest and fair review.

Having just read The Viscount's Christmas Temptation I was looking forward to reading this book, and I wasn't disappointed. This was not a continuation of storyline from the first, as I was hoping, but rather a new storyline set in the same small town, with new characters, Jane and the Captain. Another love story, a bit more steamy, with a strong woman who is missing something in her life and decides to do something about it, and a man who discovers the good in himself as a result. I would recommend this book for those who like a good romance novel. ( )
  LizBuckley | Jul 26, 2016 |
2.5 out of 5 stars, while I enjoyed the character update and liked Jane with Xavier, it was very slow. In addition, I found Jane to be very naive when it came to who Xavier truly was, as she romanticized everything about him even though he tried to disillusion her from the beginning. The only part I can positively say that was my favorite was the ending of this novel because of how Xavier portrayed his "grand gesture."

Therefore, I only recommend this novel to anyone who has read "The Earl’s Defiant Wallflower" (Book 1 of the Dukes of War Series). ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Jun 20, 2016 |
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I've read the second book for the series and found it overall ok, but the characters weren't very interesting/sympathetic. This book is by far my favorite of the two. The characters were complex, interesting and passionate.

As with the Book 2, the author seems to be in a rush to finish the book once her two characters are together and i dislike that. I wish that the ending (again) hadn't been so abrupt because the characters were like able and i would've liked to have stayed with the story longer. ( )
  CurlyQueL | Apr 29, 2015 |
This book was okay. I found the best part was the cat-Egui. I was not really captured by the writing. It was a quick easy read.

I received a free copy of this book for an honest review. ( )
  stacey68 | Mar 28, 2015 |
This is the second (or rather the third) book in the series. Yet again, can be read as a standalone novel but is a much better read if you have managed to read the other novels first.

I found this particular much more entertaining than the previous one. This novel is written with great intelligence and the characters have a fantastic wit and humour about them. The characters are believable and really life-like; and this reader can certainly identify with both.

Without giving too much away, I loved the truth or dare banter in the drawing room. And the inevitable love scene was delicious.

There was also a brief pause and angst as they realised how much they loved each other and could not live without them. The proposal was rather unique and brought an out loud ‘awwwwwwww’ from this reader. Although there is not marriage mentioned here there is an engagement which would inevitably lead to a HEA. Hopefully the wedding will be featured in a later book.

The story line is not new and follows the formula used for the previous two books but there are elements that make this story vibrant and alive. One particularly wonderful aspect of the book was the antics of the cat Egui. These were hilarious as were the results of the repairs Jane had to perform on the Captain’s under shirts. This reader hopes that Egui will see a welcome return in the later books in the series.

This reader hopes to be offered the opportunity to read the later stories in this series.

Full Disclosure: ARC received from Netgalley for an honest review. ( )
  anuttyquilter | Mar 21, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Erica Ridley's book The Captain's Bluestocking Mistress was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Erica Ridley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,011,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible