A Robot in the Garden by Deborah Install

A Robot in the Garden

by Deborah Install

This guy is such a sad sack! I don't understand why people have liked him, but I definitely see why his parents and wife were disappointed and angry. 50+ pages was my maximum of abuse I could take in reading about him. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Jun 7, 2017 |
One of the most delightful books I've read in a long time! Thanks to Joe (jnwelch) for the recommendation. I picked up this book yesterday at the library and sat down today to take a quick look before I started reading another book and just kept reading until I finished. One morning, Ben wakes up and finds a small battered robot sitting in his garden watching the horses. Tang, (our little robot) needs fixing and in the process fixes Ben as well. I really don't want to spoil the story, just get the book and read it, you won't be sorry! I wish now that I had purchased it so I could give it away. Highly recommended! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Jan 27, 2017 |
Ben's life is in a bit of a shambles. Failed veterinary school multiple times, procrastinates at everything, and loses his wife. But one day a dirty, dented and seemingly uncommunicative old robot appears in his garden, sitting and staring at horses in the neighboring paddock. His name is Tang.

What starts out as a novelty for Ben turns into a journey for both Ben and the robot. A robot not only in actual miles going from the UK to Texas to Tokyo to Micronesia and back, but a journey in life. As the mystery surrounding Tang's origins eventually comes to light, Ben realizes his sentient robot, while not shiny, smooth and new like the androids owned by his sister and most other people, has become a part of his life he is unwilling to give up, and more importantly, is determined to protect.

This is a charming and delightful novel that made me smile, laugh and cry. ( )
3 vote cameling | Jan 8, 2017 |
Not science fiction, not fantasy, but a creative tale about a broken, outdated robot in need of some TLC. This is a warm-hearted story about friendship, love, nurturing, solicitude, and acceptance. It's the most enchanting book I've read this year! Highly recommended. ( )
  VivienneR | Dec 10, 2016 |
There's such a simple beauty to this story, mixing realistic drama with just a touch of science fiction, that I fell in love with immediately. Each character was given such attention to detail and mannerism, and each moment presented so naturally, that the book carried itself along with an inertia that surprised me. From the description, I really wasn't sure I'd enjoy it at all, truthfully, but I loved it.

Simply, this is one of those books that I want to push toward people. I want to go from reader to reader and ask, "Have you heard of this? No? You should read it if you like fiction." Honestly, I don't even want to describe it, because no description does justice to what Install has created here. It will remain one of my favorites.

Absolutely recommended. ( )
2 vote whitewavedarling | Oct 8, 2016 |

Ben's really great at failing at things―his job, being a husband, taking the garbage out. But then he finds a battered robot named Tang in his garden. And Tang needs Ben.

More ornery and prone to tantrums than one would expect from something made of gears and springs, Tang desperately must be fixed―and he just might be the thing to fix what's broken in Ben. Together they will discover that friendship can rise up under the strangest of circumstances, and what it really means to be human.

Funny, touching, charming, wise, and a bit unusual, A Robot in the Garden is a gem of a first novel, perfect for anyone who has ever found it difficult to connection with the world. Amazon

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible