The Apples of Idunn by Matt Larkin

Only 4 stars yet, merely because the whole series is not done. Highly recommended!

I enjoyed this refashioning of Norse mythology, which starts off following the adventures of the mortal Jarl Odin, and ends with him having become an immortal god and Aesir King (the Aesir being a mortal tribe as yet, except for a few). Although this is the start of a series, with unanswered questions that leave me eager for more, it is a stand-alone book, with a clear ending. Although Odin and his brothers begin the tale as normal human beings, which surprised me, this retelling remains close to the original tales. I was anxious to see how Odin would apotheosize (This isn't right, his being a human! Fix it!), and worried when things did not go his way. Although the story (written in 3rd person) primarily follows Odin, there are also bits from Sigyn's perspective as well. Although it is NOT a romance novel (thank goodness), there is both lust and love of various kinds. Odin is a hero with a destiny to fulfill, and pride which he recognizes he must overcome (as well as some mild vulgarity). Although I can't yet give it five stars, as a classic that will stand for all time, because the series is not yet completed, I suspect that I will be happy to revise this later. There were a number of typos, for those who care about such things, but nothing too serious, so I've just sent a full list to the author. If the Kindle Free Sample you read is now free of errors, you can assume the rest have been fixed too. At any rate, it would be a shame to let that stop you from enjoying this treat!

I received a free e-copy through LibraryThing for the purposes of providing an unbiased review. If it has been helpful, please remember to click the "Yes" button! ( )
  Wordwizardw | May 1, 2015 |
Taking from the Norse gods of old, Larkin gives you an exciting and entertaining view into the before they were gods time. Odin, Loki and many more that were to be gods in a time of their own humanity. Before Odin became a god and his life was but a short period of time in the lives of the immortal. This story even goes into very major detail of many of the legends that began with the gods of werewolves, and spirits. This read kept me reading to the end. I could barely sit the book down long enough to rest my eyes before needing to get back to it. Great read and a new way of looking at the tales of the Norse gods. ( )
  lcsdr60 | Feb 23, 2015 |
For Juhi. For believing.
The mountain had no name.

Odin, Jarl of an Aesir tribe, earns the attention of a goddess by slaying a giant. His valor prompts her to give him the apples of immortality—in return for marching against the gods of Vanaheim. He must risk everything to overthrow those he once worshipped, but doing so offers him the only chance to free the world from the mists of Niflheim. And before he can march on gods, he must make his own people see him as one.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:01 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Matt Larkin's book The Apples of Idunn was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Matt Larkin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,248,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible