Night Animals by Gianna Marino

Night Animals

by Gianna Marino

This is an informational book about what animals come out in night time.
  maddybates | Jun 5, 2017 |
This is a great books to read to students if they are studying night animals or animals that move at night. It has very little words but the pictures are very detailed and show the story through the pictures rather than having so many words on the picture. It was very cute about how the night animals were scared of the sounds humans were making and in return they scared the humans our of their tent. ( )
  abelser | Sep 12, 2016 |
This was a funny informational book on nocturnal animals. We begin the book with an animal who is afraid of the dark because of the other animals that stay up late, he then bumps into a slightly larger animal who is afraid for the same reason, then both of them bump into a larger animal. The story continues this way, until a bat tells the animals that they are animals who stay up at night. I love the creativity and humor in this story and I chose to classify it as an informational book, despite the talking animals, because I think it would be a good way to introduce lower elementary students to the vocabulary and subject. Media: Pencil, Ink, and Acrylic.
  wcarlisle15 | Apr 16, 2016 |
One of the things I love about Gianna Marino is that, although she has a unique and recognizable style, she still manages to make each one of her books stand out on its own. I loved the gentle lesson of Too Tall Houses, the beauty and warmth of Following Papa's Song and now she brings us a humorous tale of exaggerated fears in Night Animals.

A skunk cheerfully greets a possum friend, who hastily shushes her "I'm hiding!" What are they hiding from? Night animals! Then along comes a scary wolf. But he's not after the skunk and possum (oops, too late for the skunk...) he's running from...scary night animals! One by one the animals panic until a small bat makes a trenchant observation "But you ARE night animals." On the other hand, maybe there is something scary out there...

I found this hilarious. The humorous details - possum's unfortunate encounters with skunk, the panic-eyed predators, deadpan comments, and surprise finish made me laugh out loud. Marino's illustrations are delightful. Against bold black background are brightly glowing fur, eyes, and finally the moon.

Verdict: This would make a great read-aloud with plenty of giggles for the kids, or an even more humorous puppet show. Recommended.

ISBN: 9780451469540; Published 2015 by Viking/Penguin; Borrowed from another library in my consortium
  JeanLittleLibrary | Feb 20, 2016 |
Animals that should be afraid of one another but instead confide in one another.
  angoneal | Dec 5, 2015 |

Something’s out there in the dark!

First Possum hears it. Then Skunk. Then Wolf comes running.
“What could it possibly be?” asks Bat.
“Night Animals!” the animals declare.
“But you are night animals,” Bat informs this not-so-smart crew.

Children will love the oh-so-funny animals in this twist on a cozy bedtime book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:18 -0400)

Possum is hiding from the sounds in the night, and his fear sets off a chain reaction in the other night animals.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible