Winter at the Door by Sarah Graves

Winter at the Door (2014)

by Sarah Graves

Series: A Lizzie Snow Mystery (1)

Tough but haunted police chief Lizzie Snow, a big-city cop with a mission, takes on a small town with a dark side when she moves from Boston to Bearkill, Maine, hoping to find her missing niece. As a blizzard bears down, Lizzie gears up for a showdown with a killer.

There was nothing really wrong with this story but it didn’t draw me in. I didn’t connect with the characters either and sometimes their actions were questionable. This was a so-so read for me. ( )
  gaylebutz | Feb 23, 2018 |
Homicide cop Lizzie Snow moves from Boston to Bearkill, Maine. She is searching for her niece that disappeared not long after her sister died. And now she has a photo of a little girl that could me Nicki. Sheriff Cody Chevrier is problems of his own. Four ex-cops have died during the last year and only he suspects that it is murder.

Winter at the door was a great book. I liked Lizzie Snow from the moments she was introduced into the book, short black hair, red lipstick and red fingernails. Small but strong, a really tough cop! She has moved from big-city Boston to little Bearkill (great name for a town) with ulterior motives; to find her niece that went missing. But soon she is caught up in the suspicious deaths of the ex-cops and then a child disappears...

I liked the characters; her ex-boyfriend Dylan Hudson who is trying to make amends for how their relationship ended and Trey Washburn the local vet who isn’t her type but still a very nice man and an excellent cook. And of course, Sheriff Cody Chevrier, who reminds me of Sheriff Longmire from Craig Johnson’s books and when I think about it; Lizzie Snow reminds me of Vic Moretti. No wonder I like this book.

The plot was good, it was never boring and Sarah Graves tied everything good together in the end. There are some things still not resolved, but I never expected everything to be fully explained in the end. This is the first book in a series. I’m looking forward to reading the next book!

I received this copy from the publisher through Netgalley in return for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
An involved listen because the characters are many, and much is hidden from the reader, as the characters frequently talkf from their own point of view, which I found could be confusing.
Provided drama but I had some difficulty connecting with the characters, I will need to read or listen to book 2 before I decide I want to read more in the series. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 26, 2017 |
Lizzie Snow is a homicide cop before transferring to the small Maine town of Bearkill. In this first in a new series, Lizzie assists the sheriff in trying to solve the mystery surrounding the deaths of four former law enforcement officers, while also doing all she can on the personal mission of finding her missing niece. I liked the characters, and look forward to seeing how the author develops their story further. ( )
  jhoaglin | May 23, 2016 |
This is the first book in the Lizzie Snow series, but Lizzie Snow is not a new character. She had been first introduced in the 16th book of Sarah Graves Home Repair Is Homicide series, Bats in the Belfry. Now she leaves the city of Boston to work for Cody Chevrier in law enforcement in Bearkill, Maine. She agreed to the job at the recommendation of her former boyfriend, Dylan Hudson, in this desolate location because it’s the possible whereabouts of her niece, Nicky, who’d been abducted eight years ago. Now, Nicky would be nine years old. Lizzie’s sister, Cecily, died very mysteriously just before her daughter was taken.

No sooner than Lizzie settles in, she’s assigned to work on the suspicious deaths of four ex-cops. Initially, they appeared to have been suicides. She’s approached by a tattooed teen who wonders if she’d buy information from him. She dismisses him at first, but then later gets to know him better. Could he really know something that may be of assistance?

There were multiple directions in this one novel, making it a bit perplexing to follow. As the story concludes, I can’t say that all of my questions were answered. So, clearly this appears to be a new series which will need to be read in order. I liked the characters, especially the way Dylan seemed to be trying to make amends for the undoing of their past relationship. Could they resolve their issues? The winter scenes were depicted extremely well making it easy for the reader to envision. Rating: 3 out of 5. ( )
  FictionZeal | Mar 1, 2016 |

Graves, Sarahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Winkler, ChristianeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for John Squibb
Carl Bogart's old Fleetwood double-wide mobile home stood on a cleared half acre surrounded by a forest of mixed hardwoods, spruce, and hackmatack trees shedding their dark-gold needles onto the unpaved driveway.

Perfect for fans of Jenny Milchman, Linda Castillo, and Lisa Gardner—the first book in a suspenseful new crime thriller series featuring the tough but haunted police chief Lizzie Snow, a big-city cop with a mission, taking on a small town with a dark side.

Moving from Boston to remote Bearkill, Maine, isn’t homicide cop Lizzie Snow’s idea of a step up. But breaking away from tragedy and personal betrayal is at least a step in the right direction. Her dead sister’s fate still torments her, as does her long-missing niece’s disappearance. Lizzie hopes to find the mysteriously vanished child here, amid the coming ice and snow. But in the Great North Woods, something darker and more dangerous than punishing winter is also bound for Bearkill.

The town is a world apart in more than distance—full of people who see everything, say little, and know more than they’ll share with an outsider. The only exceptions are the handsome state cop who once badly broke Lizzie’s heart and desperately wants another chance—and Lizzie’s new boss, sheriff Cody Chevrier, who’s counting on her years of homicide experience to help him solve his most troubling case, before it’s too late.

A rash of freak accidents and suicides has left a string of dead men—all former local cops. Now the same cruel eyes that watched them die are on Lizzie—and so is the pressure to find out what sort of monster has his hooks in this town, what his ruthless game is, and just how brutally he’ll play to win. Whatever the truth is, its twisted roots lie in the desolate backwoods of Allagash County: where the desperate disappear, the corrupt find shelter, and the innocent lose everything. It’s there that a cunning and utterly cold-blooded killer plans the fate of the helpless lives at his mercy—one of whom may be the lost child Lizzie will do anything to save. As a blizzard bears down, and Bearkill’s dark secrets claw their way to the surface, Lizzie gears up for a showdown that could leave the deep, driven snow stained blood red.

Advance praise for Winter at the Door

“Fast and dangerous, an extraordinarily entertaining read, Winter at the Door grabbed me from the thrilling first page. Sarah Graves paints a vivid picture of remote Bearkill, Maine. She’s created a likeable, endearing heroine in Lizzie Snow, who’s everything you could want in a cop hero: quirky and fun and fallible, but when the chips are down you know she’s got your back. I’ve no doubt Snow will quickly become a reader favorite.”—Linda Castillo, New York Times bestselling author of The Dead Will Tell

“Sarah Graves writes with grace and intelligence, and a love for her state shines through in this stylish debut of a new series set against Maine’s dark and foreboding forests. I’m hooked!”—Margaret Maron, New York Times bestselling author of Designated Daughters

“With Winter at the Door, Sarah Graves has pulled off a small miracle. Through artfully precise language and a plot that kept me turning pages well past my bedtime, she transported me to a North Woods village that seemed utterly real in the vividness of its details and yet almost dreamlike. I got out my map of Maine, looking for the backwoods town of Bearkill, and was surprised when I couldn’t find it. What a fantastic setting, and what a great character in Lizzie Snow. I can’t wait for the next book.”—Paul Doiron, author of The Bone Orchard

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:59 -0400)

Jake Tiptree's onetime helper, Lizzie Snow, takes over as Eastport's police chief only to find herself stalked by a deadly adversary from her past. "Moving from Boston to remote Bearkill, Maine, isn't homicide cop Lizzie Snow's idea of a step up. But breaking away from tragedy and personal betrayal is at least a step in the right direction. Her dead sister's fate still torments her, as does her long-missing niece's disappearance. Lizzie hopes to find the mysteriously vanished child here, amid the coming ice and snow. But in the Great North Woods, something darker and more dangerous than punishing winter is also bound for Bearkill. The town is a world apart in more than distance--full of people who see everything, say little, and know more than they'll share with an outsider. The only exceptions are the handsome state cop who once badly broke Lizzie's heart and desperately wants another chance--and Lizzie's new boss, sheriff Cody Chevrier, who's counting on her years of homicide experience to help him solve his most troubling case, before it's too late. A rash of freak accidents and suicides has left a string of dead men--all former local cops. Now the same cruel eyes that watched them die are on Lizzie--and so is the pressure to find out what sort of monster has his hooks in this town, what his ruthless game is, and just how brutally he'll play to win. Whatever the truth is, its twisted roots lie in the desolate backwoods of Aroostook County: where the desperate disappear, the corrupt find shelter, and the innocent lose everything. It's there that a cunning and utterly cold-blooded killer plans the fate of the helpless lives at his mercy--one of whom may be the lost child Lizzie will do anything to save. As a blizzard bears down, and Bearkill's dark secrets claw their way to the surface, Lizzie gears up for a showdown that could leave the deep, driven snow stained blood red"--Provide by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sarah Graves's book Winter at the Door was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible