The Last Flight of Poxl West: A Novel by…

The Last Flight of Poxl West: A Novel

by Daniel Torday

1019119,589 (3.59)6

A fun adventure and coming of age story. Maybe a little heavy handed, but what drew me in was the unpacking of Poxl West's lies. It's the kind of story that falls just short of what I'd consider the top tier of deceptive narrators (Turn of the Screw comes to mind, as does Philip Roth's Ghost Writer). ( )
  jscape2000 | Nov 1, 2017 |
It starts out straight as a historical memoir, which wasn't grabbing me, but it slowly morphs into something that makes you think about how family is defined, and how much truth is or is not an important part of relationships. ( )
  ansate | Apr 20, 2016 |
Enjoyed the story. Set in WWII and present-ish day. Multiple perspectives of a man's life and history. ( )
  jamieschecter | Jan 31, 2016 |
I could try to be clever and echo from the book reviews of the internal book - yes, the title of this novel by Daniel Torday is also the title of the memoir written and published within this novel by Poxl West - so there are self-referential story telling themes galore, but it all left me cold. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
I wish I were as eloquent as Daniel Torday. I want to be able to say glowing things about this novel in compelling, touching, engaging prose.The most literary novel I've read in years, The Last Flight of Poxl West rises above most fiction. The Last Flight of Poxl West intersperses West's memoir, _Skylock_ with the person account of 15-year-old Eli and his relationship with his Uncle Poxl. Both narrators have clear, authentic voices, and both are people I wish I could get to know better. It was truly a delightful read, and I am looking forward to Torday's next novel. ( )
  eggsnhm | Jun 30, 2015 |
It’s Mr. Torday’s ability to shift gears between sweeping historical vistas and more intimate family dramas, and between old-school theatrics and more contemporary meditations on the nature of storytelling that announces his emergence as a writer deserving of attention.

"All his life, Elijah Goldstein has idolized his charismatic Uncle Poxl. Intensely magnetic, cultured and brilliant, Poxl takes Elijah under his wing, introducing him to opera and art and literature. But when Poxl publishes a memoir of how he was forced to leave his home north of Prague at the start of WWII and then avenged the deaths of his parents by flying RAF bombers over Germany during the war, killing thousands of German citizens, Elijah watches as the carefully constructed world his uncle has created begins to unravel. As Elijah discovers the darker truth of Poxl's past, he comes to understand that the fearless war hero he always revered is in fact a broken and devastated man who suffered unimaginable losses from which he has never recovered. Daniel Torday's debut novel, The Last Flight of Poxl West, beautifully weaves together what it means to be a family in the shadow of war-- to love, to lose, and to heal"--… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Daniel Torday's book The Last Flight of Poxl West was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,570,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible