Twisted Innocence (Moonlighters Series) by…

Twisted Innocence (Moonlighters Series)

by Terri Blackstock

Other authors: David Lambert

Series: Moonlighters (#3/3)

After reading the first two books in this series by Terri Blackstock I couldn't wait to start this one. I was not disappointed! Holly, the flaky, little sister is the focus of Twisted Innocence. As a new mother, her life needs some changes but will her siblings accept her new ways as real? Drug dealer Leonard Miller remains free and the desire to put him behind bars increases with Michael in jail. The sisters continue to run Michael's PI service around their own busy lives. Suspense begins quickly when Holly takes a call for her taxi cab. The intrigue rises rapidly as new characters enter the scene. Some face the reality of faith in God during desperate moments. I read this book basically in one day and enjoyed the fast pace of this mystery. Terri Blackstock is one of my favorite authors and this series is great. I highly recommend the third book in the Moonlighters Series, Twisted Innocence.

I received an ebook copy from NetGalley and Zondervan Fiction Publishing for an honest review which I have given. ( )
  sh2rose | Sep 6, 2016 |
Terri Blackstock is one of my favorite authors, and this book in the series is more like her usual style with a lot of mystery and suspense along with some good life lessons based on a Christian worldview.

I like seeing her characters grow as the series progresses. I'm glad the one character was cleared and that even before that, his family was beginning to not treat him as "the black sheep" of the family. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
Holly, a party girl, has a baby, Lily, by a man she hardly knew, but decided to get out of that life and raise Lily right. Her older sister, Juliet, had her husband killed by a drug lord Leonard Miller who got out of the charges and framed the cop who almost got him so that the cop went to prison. He was a brother of Juliet's dead husband. Lily's father, Creed, is being sought by the police for a murder and Holly thinks she can find him and get him out of her life.
Though complicated, these characters and their relationships get more and more entangled, but the faith and love of some of them are witnessed by some of those who need it and a frightening and dangerous drama ends with some good outcomes.
It is obvious that this is part of a series, as are most by this popular writer, but it has some good spiritual lessons and is a good read. ( )
  lopemopay | Nov 26, 2015 |
Holly has made mistakes, one of which has left her with bills to pay and a new baby to support. Her sisters rally around to help, but it’s hard to trust they’re not blaming her with every incautious word. Then she gets mugged.

So starts Terri Blackstock’s Christian romantic suspense, Twisted Innocence. Holly’s feelings for her child are achingly real – ”Holding her daughter was the biggest endorphin rush Holly had ever known.” Her doubts about her own self-worth will be familiar to anyone who’s ever made mistakes—which must surely be all of us. But her eagerness to load her gun in self-defense is purely American, which might seem odd to an English reader like me. It makes sense though, since this is an American novel set in a world of private investigators, wrongly accused cops, drug gangs and murder.

Many of the characters have been introduced in previous novels of the series, but the author brings her readers smoothly up to speed on what they’ve missed, while leaving enough details hidden to entice us to read more. Holly’s family has certainly had more than its fair share of troubles, but everything’s connected, and everything’s heading for an exciting conclusion in this tale. Christians are flawed but believable. Wounds, both spiritual and physical, hurt. And the scene where good sister Juliet declares she can’t sit at a bar—“What if someone from my church sees me?”—is delightfully fun, even as danger draws close.

Unexpected love, unwilling trust … perhaps they mirror the love God wants from us. The author makes faith as real as the danger in this tale, and both are tested and well-described, over and over again, before the end’s in sight. As an English Christian reader, I struggle with the unquestioning approach to guns and punishment, but I really enjoyed the story.

Disclosure: I won a copy and I offer my honest review. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Jul 22, 2015 |
Twisted Innocence
Terri Blackstock

Book Summary: When Holly's secrets backfire, is the mess too big to unravel? Holly Cramer has worked hard to keep the identity of her daughter's father a secret, shamed and embarrassed by the one-night stand. But when the police knock on her door searching for Creed Kershaw, she realizes his identity isn't as hidden as she thought. The fact that Creed is a person of interest in a recent drug-related murder only increases her humiliation. When Holly's and Creed's paths cross, Holly is unsure whether to be terrified of him or trust him. His tenderness with their daughter makes her want to believe his story that he had nothing to do with the murder. Then she discovers that Creed has a connection to Leonard Miller-who killed both her sister's fiancé and her brother-in-law, and kidnapped her nephews-and things only become more complicated. Will Creed lead them to the man who has plagued her family, or become another of his victims?

Review: I love Terri Blackstock books and this was no exception. It did take me a couple pages to get into it. But most of it was due to this was the last book of the series and I was going to miss reading about these wonderful characters. The emotion and regret that Holly and Creed had was very realistic and appropriately placed in the story. I liked the honesty that was written into this story. I loved how Creed came from a good home and that he still went his own way. All of the characters had a great and believable depth. That is one of the things that makes reading Terri Blackstock’s books so enjoyable there is no simple answer or resolution. For me this was another winner.

I would like to thank Net Galley and Zondervan Fiction for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | May 25, 2015 |

Terri Blackstockprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lambert, Davidsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Holly Cramer’s past choices have finally caught up to her, but she never expected them to endanger her baby.

Though Holly’s stumbled through most of her adult life as a party girl, she longs to live a more stable life for her daughter. Then police show up to question her about the whereabouts of Creed Kershaw, Lily’s father. She has kept his identity a secret from friends and family—she never even told him about the pregnancy. Now he’s a person of interest in a drug-related murder case.

Determined to keep him out of their lives and turn him over to police, Holly uses her private investigating skills to search for him. But her bravado backfires when he turns the tables and takes her and the baby hostage. As desperate hours tick by, Holly realizes his connection to Leonard Miller—the man who has gunned down several members of her family. Creed claims he’s innocent and that Miller is after him too. His gentleness with Lily moves her, but she can’t trust a man who has held her at gunpoint . . . even if he reminds her so much of herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0400)

"Holly Cramer has stumbled through most of her adult life as a party girl, but she longs to live a more stable life for her daughter, Lily. When police show up to question her about the whereabouts of Lily's father, Creed Kershaw, a person of interest in a drug-related murder case, she is determined to keep him out of their lives and turn him over to police. But her bravado backfires when he turns the tables and takes her and Lily hostage. As desperate hours tick by, Holly realizes his connection to Leonard Miller the man who has gunned down several members of her family. Creed claims he's innocent and that Miller is after him too. Dangers old and new threaten Holly and her baby, and lives are demanded as sacrifices for love. Through a complex web of mistakes and regret, redemption is the one hope Holly has left to hold on to."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,366,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible