The Way to Stay in Destiny by Augusta…

The Way to Stay in Destiny

by Augusta Scattergood

This story is a historical fiction tale that takes place a little bit after the Vietnam War. The reader follows the tale of Theo, a boy who goes to live with his Vietnam veteran Uncle who doesn't want him. Theo is able to cope with playing piano and his journey with Anabel to learn about old baseball players that have lived in the town. Overall, I thought this was a really good book. The language used was suitable for children and had humor in it. The story did have some depth in it. It dwelled into the topics such as loss and belonging. I think this is a good book to have in the classroom and may be good for the kids that like to read sports-related fiction as well.
  BrettMartin | Apr 21, 2017 |
I wanted to rate this higher; I loved the storyline and I loved Theo's sweet innocence. The storytelling is a a little disjointed to me as a reader, however. The dialogue between characters is choppy; I think meant to portray local dialect, but it comes across as stilted - from my adult standpoint. From the viewpoint if a child, it's a simple sweet story about a very sweet boy and his new best friend, a rebelous tomboy. I do think it will have appeal to younger readers, however. ( )
  Dmtcer | May 4, 2016 |
Ever since his parents died when he was very young, Theo Thomas has lived with his grandparents on their Kentucky farm -- but now that his grandparents can't take care of themselves, much less him, his Uncle Raymond is his reluctant new caregiver. Uncle Raymond is a Vietnam vet with a chip on his shoulder and little patience for his young nephew. With Theo in tow, Uncle Raymond heads for Destiny, Florida, where he has a new job and a room reserved at Miss Sister Grandersole's Boarding House and Dance Studio. Theo's not too sure about his new town. There are just two things that he really likes: baseball and playing the piano. Miss Sister has a beautiful piano in her dance studio, but Uncle Raymond hates music and won't allow Theo to play -- and as for baseball, who knows if they'll even be in town long enough for Theo to join a team? But as Theo settles in and makes a new friend who is just as baseball-crazy as he is, he's determine to find a way to stay in Destiny -- even though his Uncle Raymond seems to be determined to find a way to leave.

Ah, these folksy small-town stories. I have a limited amount of patience for them. Why do I keep picking them up, you might ask? Well, when they are done right, they can be excellent. Alas, this one was just mediocre. I felt like there was too little motivation for some of the decisions made by the characters, and the whole baseball school project/mystery just irritated me. But if you enjoy this sort of story, you're likely to find it much more charming than I did. I'm just not the right reader for this book. ( )
  foggidawn | Mar 27, 2015 |

1 Copy

From the author of the acclaimed GLORY BE, a novel that celebrates baseball, fast piano, and small-town living in the wake of the Vietnam War.

When Theo gets off a bus in Destiny, Florida, he's left behind the only life he's ever known. Now he's got to live with Uncle Raymond, a Vietnam War vet and a loner who wants nothing to do with this long-lost nephew. Thank goodness for Miss Sister Grandersole's Rooming House and Dance School. The piano that sits in Miss Sister's dance studio calls to Theo. He can't wait to play those ivory keys. When Anabel arrives things get even more enticing. This feisty girl, a baseball fanatic, invites Theo on her quest to uncover the town's connection to old-time ball players rumored to have lived there years before. A mystery, an adventure, and a musical exploration unfold as this town called Destiny lives up to its name.

Acclaimed author Augusta Scattergood has delivered a straight-to-the-heart story with unforgettable characters, humor, and hard questions about loss, family, and belonging.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible