The Syrian Virgin (The Syrian Virgin #1) by…

The Syrian Virgin (The Syrian Virgin #1)

by Zack Love

I received a free kindle copy of The Syrian Virgin (The Syrian Virgin #1) by Zack Love in a goodreads promotion in exchange for a fair review.

I gave this fast paced, well written book almost five stars. The steep cliff hanger cost it one star. I still recommend this intriguing book.

Here are two quotes that caught my attention: "In the end, we are all just participating in exchanges that we think in some way will make us better off."

"My mother had been suspiciously circumspect about sharing good news, urging me to keep it to myself. 'Don't invite envy to your house--you never know who will show up,' she used to warn me.'"

The technique of reading journaling from two of the main characters was a bit different, but once I got used to the idea, it moved the story along.

Link to purchase: http://www.amazon.com/Syrian-Virgin-Young-Womans-Journey-ebook/dp/B00PCTY5N2 ( )
  Carolyn.Injoy-Life | Jul 13, 2015 |
I loved this book! From the first chapter to the last, “The Syrian Virgin” pulled me in and wouldn’t let me go until I came out the other side. You can tell that Zack Love really put his heart and soul into writing “The Syrian Virgin”. All the time, effort, (and I’m sure, all the blood, sweat and tears) he put into researching and writing EVERY aspect of this book is TRULY evident!

In “The Syrian Virgin”, Zack’s writing is so realistic … it makes you feel like you’re living the story along with Anissa, the young Syrian woman who is the central character in the novel. You feel her pain and her struggle. I felt heartbroken for her and I literally cried for her as I read it.

Zack painted a detailed picture of what’s really going on in Syria and the Middle East. For Anissa and her family, life was very difficult in war-torn Syria. He highlighted the difficulties of being a part of the Christian minority amongst warring groups. It’s a scary picture and more people should be aware of it.

When Anissa arrives in New York, she becomes involved with two very different men. Michael is totally immersed in his activism and doesn’t seem to want to commit to a relationship. On the other hand, her relationship with Julien is very complicated as he is fighting demons of his own.

In my opinion, this is Zack Love’s most impressive novel to date. I really enjoyed the way he wove his characters and their struggles into current events. You could really feel Zack’s passion for this subject and his desire to share it with his readers. I cannot wait for the sequel! ( )
  anita.toss | Feb 19, 2015 |
And I must say - This is my first time reading a book written by this author. Mr Love sent me both a beta and an ARC of his book. In exchange for an honest opinion of his work. Here is mousieys opinion of SYRIAN VIRGIN.
Upon opening the book and starting reading it the author had my attention from the very first page. Mr Love has a true way with words and an amazing detail with what has happened over there in the Syria war.
As our story opens we find ourselves in a diary where our young women by the name of Inas writes describing her life. She is writing to her beloved- who we do not know. But that is besides the fact. In this story we learn of her life there in Syria as a young teenager going to school, before the war brakes out. And then after the war starts- what happens to her siblings , her parents and to her.How does she escape to America. Who she lives with. But most of all what she holds most dear to her heart all these years and what she protects.
In college she finds herself pulled into two different directions. Micheal who is a Christian-Syrian American who is leading the political efforts and then there is her professor. Now Inas is a virgin in all ways possible. She is lost an alone . Not knowing what to do or who to follow- . Well for the story you will need to read this book. I recommend this book to all that OVER THE AGE OF 16 !! I give this book a firm rating of 30 out of 5 stars . It is written similar to the Anne Frank Diary . And truly Mr Love have a way with words. I look forward to reading more of his works. And of course don't forget that going on right now is his BIG RELEASE PARTY!!!! BUT IN THE MEAN TIME ... WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR GO GET IT NOW!!!
IT'S ON AMAZON AS WE SPEAK!!! ( )
1 vote m0usey | Nov 11, 2014 |
"A shootout ensued and part of me felt too resigned to fate to move - almost as if a perordained defeat had left me stuck to the sofa, waiting to die from a bullet or a knife-wielding Islamist."

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Zack Love's book The Syrian Virgin was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Zack Love is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,242,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible