Holiday Bliss (The Bliss Series) (Volume 2)…

Holiday Bliss (The Bliss Series) (Volume 2)

by Kathleen Shoop

222,551,640 (4)None
Recently added byTeresaKander, gpangel

All three of the stories included in this anthology were remarkably well-written. Each one had its own flavor, because of the different authors, but they all grabbed my attention right away and held it to the end. I liked the fact that they were all tied together by the house called Bliss, even though they each took place in a different era.

The Christmas Miracle is full of suspense and mystery--terrorists, bombs, kidnapping and the FBI no less, as well as romance. The description of the huge Christmas party the Browns hosted was incredible. It was just what I would imagine such a party to be in the South in 1920. The party didn't wind up quite the way anyone expected, but the family would definitely have a holiday story to tell for years to come.

Tending Her Heart is set in 1971, and is the only story in the group to revolve around Thanksgiving. I think Julie was my favorite character in the book. She is very strong willed and determined, and she's working for a cause that really struck a chord with me. She and Michael have a rocky relationship at first, due to several presumptions and misunderstandings....but in the end, they find their happily ever after! I also enjoyed the subplots with other nurses and doctors throughout the story.

Holiday Wish is a modern day love story. Chelsea works for Vaughn, and they have strong feelings for one another. Unfortunately, Vaughn has an incident in his past which has totally closed him off to the idea of dating someone from work. The more they try to fight their feelings, the more fate--and friends--seems to bring them together. This was the quickest, lightest read of the three, and it kept me smiling almost throughout.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and look forward to reading more by all three of these authors.

**I received this book to review through Beck Valley Books Book Tours, all the opinions above are 100% my own.** ( )
  TeresaKander | Dec 15, 2014 |
Holiday Bliss is a 2014 publication. This book contains three holiday themed stories.

The first story is “The Christmas Miracle” by Marcy Waldenville.

Set in the 1920's this story centers around Brenan Brown, a man hiding a terrible secret from his wife. When the past comes knocking on his door, Brenan must protect his family, but this means he will have do something he gave up a long time ago or he will have to tell his wife and risk all that he has achieved in America.
This one was certainly not the usual holiday fare. Terrorist, secrets, danger, kidnapping, bombs, and the FBI. When all is said and done, Brenan will have a new lease on life and the Bliss household will have story to tell for the ages.

The Second Story is this anthology is : “Tending Her Heart by Kathleen Shoop

This story is set in the early 1970's where Julie is a nurse working in the maternity ward. The old school methods the doctors use during delivery has Julie outraged. Each time she broaches the subject she is blown off or patronized, the equivalent of “don't worry your pretty little head” sort of thing. But, after a heated argument with a doctor, Julie looks to a younger doctor, Michael Young to back her up. But, instead he opts to keep the peace, leaving Julie feeling betrayed. When Julie is injured in a freak accident, Michael is the first one on the scene. Michael may be able to save her life and give her the best of care, but he probably won't be able to help save her job.
Set during the Thanksgiving holiday period Julie will face a long road to recovery, but her fight for better care and more sensitivity to women during pregnancy and childbirth will be a much longer road to travel on. With Michael's intense feelings for Julie, he is determined to see that she is afforded the chance to do the kind of work that will make a difference for so many. This author is very good at depicting the attitudes of male doctors during this era of time and highlighting women and men who fought for change. A strong story that proves men can and do support women and their dreams and love them all the more their determination and strength. I loved Michael and Julie and their HEA!

Last, but not least is: “Holiday Wish” by J.D. Wylde.
This is the lightest toned book in the set. Chelsea is a master carpenter working for Vaughn Jennings. The “no employee dating” rule that is agreed to is making Vaughn and Chelsea miserable. Being lonely and longing for the one person who is off limits is bad enough but when the holidays roll around, it's even more difficult to contend with.
Vaughn is such a stickler for rules he is dubbed “hard ass” by the guys on the crew. Keeping his company afloat and his business reputation above board is very important to him. But, are his rules more important than being with the woman he loves? Couldn't he bend the rules just a little?
Naturally, there is back story that has lead Vaughn to this place in his life and to this crossroads where he will have to decide what is more important to him. I really admire a woman who is willing to take on an unconventional career if that is what she likes doing.. and society be damned. It is harder to make it in male dominated careers but the only thing really bad on this job, for Chelsea, was not being able to be with Vaughn. Will Vaughn wake up and smell the coffee or are these two like ships that pass in the night?

All these stories are centered around Bliss house in Harrington, North Carolina in different eras of time. Each book is unique which is something I really like especially is holiday themed stories. While each one is heartwarming in it's own way, these are not the traditional overly gooey type stories that are a dime a dozen at this time of year. So, I really enjoyed this collection of novellas and I think the combination of historical and contemporary was a great idea and the stories still managed to interconnect. Overall 4 stars for this set. ( )
  gpangel | Nov 12, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,232,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible