The Story of Awkward by R.K. Ryals

The Story of Awkward

by R.K. Ryals

I like the concept. It's different and was fun.
I also liked the drawings at the end. Pretty cute.
I think it would great as a graphic novel if the author drew it.

Foster was pretty obviously the love interest. No surprises there.

Sometimes the writing seems a little off. She used the word 'awkward' just a little too much throughout the novel. Could have cut back a little bit on that.
Some of the dialog seemed a bit preachy and repetitive. Maybe just needed more proof reading. But overall it was fine.

Oh, I didn't like all the emphasis put on sex. Was that really needed? Makes Foster seem like more of a dick then he already was. jeez
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
I am an extremely awkward person. I have a hard time with social cues and I always seem to make a situation worse. So as you can see this book appealed to me. I really really liked this book and I recommend to anyone who has ever felt awkward. Parts of the story were going in a very obvious direction, but I didn't start reading this book for surprise plots or mysteries. Peregrine reminded me of myself in my teen years, upset at everyone, just wanting to immerse herself into her own fantasies and day dreams.

Reading Peregrine's world come to life was amazing. I don't want to give away the play as I would like for people to give it a read. The romantic angle in the book was a bit obvious however it did not develop how most romances do. I kinda wish I had read this book when I was younger as even though I can relate through my previous experiences this would have been great to read when I was going through my prominent awkwardness. The writing was not amazing but it was good. A Definite read I would say. ( )
  NelmsTree | Dec 24, 2016 |
The premise of this book prompted me to add it to my Kindle reading. The current price reduction promotion on it didn't hurt, either.

Yet, even if it were offered at full retail value, this is a work that is worth owning.

People have different ways of dealing with being bullied. Some go into withdrawal. Some act out, or can even take traits of the bullies themselves. Perigrine chose to create an alternate world to seek refuge and to feel accepted. I could definitely feel the pain of the main character because it made me think of a few episodes when I was bullied, and there was an accuracy that went beyond the imagination. That was confirmed when the author revealed at the end that it was based on her very own experience when she was young.

The paranormal concept of Awkward as well as the dynamic between Perigrine and her friend's brother Foster added deeper layers to an already emotional story. I linked all of the action sequences in Awkward as tests for Perigrine and Foster, more so than the characters in the world, to measure their emotional growth in accordance to their perceptions of themselves.

Foster kept me intrigued. Each chink in his somewhat perfect armor led me to have an appreciation for him. In many books there is this aim for "the perfect guy", and this type of read is a breath of fresh air for me in that aspect. Perigrine is flawed in her own right and the pacing of facing her own demons is blended well with the peril that involves Awkward.

I liked how each chapter started off with a quote from Perigrine. It was as if she was outlining the knowledge she acquired from each series of conflict or dialogue. The dialogue ranged from eye opening to comedic and the banter made me chuckle and during challenging moments, brought a tear to my eye.

Richness from character development to setting to conflict. Absolutely beautiful storytelling. This is a mainstay in my reading app, and I highly recommend. ( )
  NoLabelsUnleashed | May 22, 2015 |
I get what the author was going for— it just didn’t work for me. The book promised to be tragic and it was; just not in the right way. The story had potential and I was excited to read it, but The Story of Awkward fell flat. Besides the awkward sex mentions I felt like I was reading a subpar middle grade novel.

If it wasn’t for my complete boredom, insomnia, and the fact that I hate leaving a book unfinished I probably wouldn’t have gotten past the first 100 pages. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Feb 23, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible