Robert B. Parker's The Bridge by Robert…

Robert B. Parker's The Bridge

by Robert Knott

Having seen the movie Appaloosa, also by Robert Parker and featuring the same cast, I could see and hear the two heroes, Cole (Ed Harris) and Hitch (Viggo Mortensen), in my head as they set out to solve the mystery of who blew up the new railroad bridge and why. Reading this book was like having my own private screening of a new western!
  OrionLyon | Aug 15, 2017 |
I guess I've gotten use to Knott's version of Parker's Cole and Hitch series. The first couple irked me with his unneeded descriptive style. I guess by this third book in the series, I got over the fact that he can't write like Leonard (something that only Ace Atkins seems to be able to do) and accepted the book for what it was....a good story. ( )
  bjkelley | Apr 7, 2016 |
This is a quick, easy read but not an altogether satisfying one. Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch are two of my favorite characters in the western genre but this work is mediocre at best. The plot is quite slow moving and by the time you reach the end you realize the reason for this; the author did not have much of a plot in mind. The story could have been told in half the pages.

The writing is informal and Knott obviously wants to portray Cole as taciturn almost to the point of being—but not quite—mute. The story is told from Hitch's perspective and he is the spokesman for the two. The conversation between Cole and Hitch frequently consists of one-word exchanges.

"Colorful lot," Virgil said.

"They are," I said.

Or another example;

Virgil didn't say anything else, either, not for awhile, anyway, …

Then he said, "Slaughterhouse."

I nodded.

"Beats hell," he said.

"Does," I said.

Furthermore, much of the dialog doesn't have the ring of authenticity. Instead of, "Yep," or "Yeah," one or the other is often depicted as saying, "Is," "I do," or some such.

The author includes a mystery woman—Séraphine—in the story as Hitch's love interest. See is depicted as astonishingly prescient, almost to the point that the reader begins to suspect that she is working with the outlaws. The outlaw gang is dispatched some 85 pages before the end of the book (large print edition) but the mastermind of the scheme has yet to be revealed. That allows the question of her involvement to remain unresolved. When it turns out that she wasn't involved the author then introduces the question of whether she was somehow a figment of Hitch's imagination. Of course that could not be because at one point she wrote a note that Hitch shared with Cole. Still, the possibility surfaces only to be rejected a few pages later. However, she disappeared without a trace, leaving in question how she appeared in the first place and her motivation.

Another unexplained event is the action of the butler, Jessup. He suddenly takes a dramatic and completely unexpected action while, up to this time, being about as important to the story as the wallpaper. His motivation is not explained. This seems like a cheat on the part of the author. It appears that Knott created a situation that he did not know how to resolve satisfactorily and took the lazy way out by resorting to a gimmick to end the story.

In short, I continue to like Cole and Hitch but hope the Parker estate finds someone else to take over as primary author of the novels. ( )
  Tatoosh | Apr 1, 2016 |
I have never read a Robert B. Parker book before so I wasn't sure what to expect. I guess I still haven't read a Robert B. Parker book, since this is written under his name posthumously by an actor/writer who isn't Robert B. Parker. Anyway, I found this book to be a tad bit boring, simply written and basically just not my style. The story is simple: Someone blew up a bridge and the marshal and his deputy must figure out whodunnit. An old fashioned Western set in Appaloosa, there's not much to the story besides this. The only other side story is the fact that a traveling roadshow has hit town the same time the bridge is blown up, however these two stories really have nothing to do with each other. There was one semi-interesting bit to the story in that a psychic who was traveling with the roadshow and one of the lawmen hooked up and she told ominous tales of his future that ended up coming true, but in the end this woman was not who she seemed to be and I actually really don't understand what she turned out to be as the story was somewhat vague about how she ended up. I won this book via First Reads, and although it was written better than some books I've read, it doesn't really entice me to follow the rest of this series. I appreciate the opportunity though. ( )
  mandersj73 | Apr 27, 2015 |
Another good Virgil and Everett western. If you liked the others, you'll like this one, too. ( )
  Mathenam | Mar 3, 2015 |
Author is Robert Knott; not Robert B. Parker.

The next gritty, gun-slinging entry in the New York Times–bestselling series, featuring itinerant lawmen Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch.

Appaloosa’s Sheriff Sledge Driskill and his deputies are the first to respond, but as the storm grows more threatening, news of troubles at the bridge escalate and the Sheriff and his deputies go missing.

Virgil and Everett saddle up to sort things out but before they do the hard drinking, Beauregard Beauchamp arrives in Appaloosa with his Theatrical Extravaganza troupe and the promise of the best in lively entertainment west of the Mississippi. With the troupe comes a lovely and mysterious fortune-teller who is set on saving Everett from imminent but indefinable danger.

The trouble at the bridge, the missing lawmen, the new arrivals, and Everett’s shoot-out in front of Hal’s Café aren’t the only things on Cole and Hitch’s plate as a gang of unsavory soldiers ease into town with a shady alibi, shadier intentions, and a soon-to-be-discovered wake of destruction.

As clouds over Appaloosa continue to gather, things get much worse for Cole and Hitch…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:21 -0400)

"Territorial Marshals Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch are back in Appaloosa, where their work enforcing the law has been exceptionally quiet. All that is about to change. An ominous storm rolls in, and along with it a band of night riders with a devious scheme, who show up at the Rio Blanco camp, where a three-hundred-foot bridge is under construction..."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,329,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible