The Tapper Twins Go to War (With Each Other)…

The Tapper Twins Go to War (With Each Other)

by Geoff Rodkey, Geoff Rodkey

I have a confession. I'm not a section of the target readers which would be "tweens." I have another confession, I loved the book! It describes the angst of sixth graders perfectly and it was a real learning experience. If you're a tween you'll be able to relate to it and if you're not you can learn a lot particularly about social networking and video games. So, either way it's great. ( )
  Writermala | Aug 17, 2015 |
Book Review & Giveaway: The Tapper Twins Go To War is Book #1 of what promises to be an awesome middle-grade series. Claudia and Reese Tapper are twelve-year-old fraternal twins who are very different people. Any tween with siblings will be able to relate to these guys, and any adult who had siblings will be very thankful their sibling squabbles didn’t play out during the digital age. Yes, I predict you’re going to enjoy this one just as much as your favorite middle-grade reader will. We're giving away a copy along with a humorous book for adults at http;//popcornreads.com/?p=8389. ( )
  PopcornReads | May 26, 2015 |
This book was so much fun! Claudia’s twin brother, Reese, embarrassed her at school in the lunch room in front of their entire class. Claudia decides she needs to humiliate Reese the same way he humiliated her. Thus begins the war: there’s some stinky fish, an embarrassing music video, crazy haircuts and an online trouncing. The book is told from Claudia’s point of view but as a series of interviews she conducts with her brother, her friends and her babysitter. Also mixed in are photos, screenshots of online chats and text messages between her parents.

Rodkey perfectly captures that age where kids are starting to come into themselves. That age where we have first crushes, where what other people think is so important, where an embarrassing incident can either crush you or make you stronger, and the most responsibility we have is for our homework and the people we control in a video game. At the same time, he captures the mannerisms, speech and slang of this age group perfectly. Claudia and Reese could absolutely jump off the page and fit right in at my son’s school. They were authentic and funny and sounded and acted like kids without the author talking down to his audience.

The plot is funny and engaging and brought back memories of tiffs between my brothers. While they never put dead fish in each other’s bags, and online games like Meta World weren’t around yet, the idea is the same and I was somewhat nostalgic while reading. Kids will find the pranks hilarious. As a parent, the snippets of text message between the Tapper parents had me rolling. Like many parents, they want to be involved but are really rather clueless despite their best efforts.

The format of the book lends itself well to the MG reading group. The pictures and screen shots add a lot of humor but also break up the story into pieces which will keep kids interested. This book will have wide appeal – both girls and boys will find characters to identify with. It’s definitely not a “girly” book even though the account of the events is being compiled by Claudia. It will also appeal to both avid and reluctant readers. The format lends itself well to reluctant readers because the pictures and screen shots add a lot of humor and also break up the story into pieces which will keep kids interested. Stronger readers won’t be disappointed by the strong characters, great dialogue and quick pace.

I have a quick side note about age. The twins in the books are 12 years old. The book is listed on some sites as being for ages 8 and up. My son is 8 and while there’s nothing inappropriate in the book, it was a little bit above is reading level. He could read it but some of the nuance and humor was lost on him. Some very mature 8 year old readers may appreciate this more than my son. He enjoyed it but not, I suspect, as much as slightly older kids will.

Overall, I really loved this book. I was thoroughly entertained. It was funny and made me a little bit nostalgic. There are some sweet moments at the end between Claudia and Reese that show how siblings can love each other even when they’re so different and even after they make mistakes. There are also some great messages here. Cyberbullying is addressed without preaching or beating you over the head. There are also nice lessons about how doing something not-so-nice can sometimes backfire, and about how, despite it all, the bond between siblings can be an amazing thing. ( )
  CherieReads | May 1, 2015 |
THE TAPPER TWINS GO TO WAR (WITH EACH OTHER) by Geoff Rodkey is the first in a humorous middle grades series focusing on 12-year-old twins Claudia and Reese.

This silly, fast-paced story documents an epic sibling battle that begins when Reese calls Claudia “Princess Farts-A-Lot” in the middle of the school cafeteria. The war quickly escalates as Claudia retaliates with a dead fish in Reese’s backpack. Before long the battle moves to cyberspace and the world of MetaWorld.

Told as an oral history project, the Rodkey uses transcribed oral interviews, text messages, and chat logs to tell the story. Labelled drawings, maps, screen captures, and photographs are woven throughout the narrative providing additional evidence in the ongoing conflict.

Tween readers will enjoy the sibling banter and references to MetaWorld aka Minecraft and other popular online environments. Because Rodkey invents the social media service names like ClickChat, the books should remain more timeless than some others.

Fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid and other satirical realistic fiction novels will enjoy this new addition to the rapidly growing tween humor collection. Keep your eye out for the second book in the series The Tapper Twins Tear Up New York coming in Fall 2015.

To learn more about the series and the characters, go to http://www.thetappertwins.com/. There’s even an Instagram photo blog featuring photos by the twins.

Published by Little, Brown: Hachette Book Group on April 7, 2015. ( )
  eduscapes | Apr 12, 2015 |
I picked up this book for my nephews because I thought they may like it. I was not familiar with the author's name until I read some of his credits as a screenwriter for films like Daddy Day Care and RV. Two of my favorite comedic films to watch. So if you are familiar with these films then you can expect that this same sense of humor would be infused in this book. Which it was. I could not stop laughing at the antics and bickering between Claudia and Reese.

At first I was not sure if I would like the interview format of this book but it worked perfectly for this story. Besides being funny it also had whimsy and sarcasm but in a good way for the younger readers to enjoy as well. I say this because readers of all ages will like this book. Me and my sister used to bicker and fight too but we had nothing on the Tapper Twins. There is so much fun to be found in this book that just like me you will find yourself lost for track of time. This was a quick read. ( )
  Cherylk | Mar 13, 2015 |

Geoff Rodkeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rodkey, Geoffmain authorall editionsconfirmed

An oral history that reports, through transcribed recordings, text messages, photographs, illustrations, screenshots, and more, an epic prank war between twelve-year-old twins Reese and Claudia Tapper of New York City.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible