Woundabout by Lev Rosen

Woundabout

by Lev Rosen

After their parents’ deaths from an explosion at their ranch, Connor, Cordelia and Kip, their pet capybara, are sent to live with their aunt Marigold in the town of Woundabout. They discover that it is an odd city where routine and conformity rule and nothing ever changes. To maintain the status quo the mayor allows very few children to live there since they could cause change. With their friend Nico, a boy from a neighboring town, Connor and Cordelia uncover a mysterious huge, hidden crank which could threaten the town’s way of life. This is a fun read for tweens with interesting characters and an unusual pet.

Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
What a delightful and whimsical book. Cordelia and Connors' parents die in an accident on their capybara farm and the children move to the town of Woundabout to live with their Aunt Marigold. Their arrival in Woundabout is perceived as wonderful by some and with trepidation by the Mayor and some of the other town folk. The siblings learn that everyone must follow a routine and that they will have to go away to boarding school and summer camp for most of the year and that they aren't supposed to ask questions; so they decide to try to figure out what is weird about the town on their own.

I really liked the characters in this book. Connor, Cordelia and Gray in particular. They're interesting and I liked that they had different lenses through which they viewed the world but understood when they were really still feeling the same way. The town is definitely an interesting place and it's origin story was definitely clever and interesting. I like how the authors used the town's issues as a way of explaining dealing with grief and it's importance. (I'm trying to be vague so as not to give away spoilers and it's most likely preventing me from making good sense.) ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Welcome to Woundabout, where routine rules and change is feared. But transformation is in the wind....

In the wake of tragedy, siblings Connor and Cordelia and their pet capybara are sent to the precariously perched town of Woundabout to live with their eccentric aunt. Woundabout is a place where the mayor has declared that routine rules above all, and no one is allowed to as questions--because they should already know the answers.

But Connor and Cordelia can't help their curiosity when they discover a mysterious crank that fits into certain parts of the town, and by winding the crank, places are transformed into something beautiful. When the townspeople see this transformation, they don't see beauty--they only see change. And change, the mayor says, is something to fear. With the mayor hot on their trail, can Connor and Cordelia find a way to wind Woundabout back to life?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:51 -0400)

Orphaned siblings nine-year-old Cordelia and eleven-year-old Connor, accompanied by their pet capybara, go to live with their aunt in the strange town of Woundabout, where nothing seems to change.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,614,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible