All Fall Down by Ally Carter

All Fall Down (2015)

by Ally Carter

Recently added bysrsharms, Mrs.King5th, private library, jifner, Sara_thisgirl, decriptor, shelled11, Starrie10
    The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Similar tone, pacing, and storytelling style

Booklist-November 2014
  CamiYoung | Jun 26, 2017 |
Publisher's Weekly, November 2014
  aethomas731 | Jun 24, 2017 |
Booklist-November 2014
  CamiYoung | Jun 24, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book but I haven't fallen in love with the series ... yet. I found Grace a character who was a bit tough to warm up to - mainly because as the reader I was stuck in her mind for the whole novel and I didn't really know what was real and what was in her head. And there are a number of different twists and turns in this futuristic, murder mystery novel. By the end of the book, I was a bit confused and not sure what to make of it all.

The main weaknesses I found in this book circled around plot. Although it seems like a contemporary novel about Grace's mental unbalance (brought on by witnessing her mother's murder), it veers off in so many different directions that by the end of the book I was exhausted.

I think this book just tried to be too many things at once (a murder mystery, a spy novel, a dystopian novel, a romance) and the intermingled plot lines leave the reader feeling tired by the end (rather than anticipating the next book in the series).

If you are an Ally Carter fan, you may want to check this book out. For me, I doubt I'll be reading any more of this series. ( )
  cathishaw | Oct 27, 2016 |
All Fall Down is a contemporary YA novel that starts off Ally Carter’s latest new series. Three years ago, Grace Blakely saw her mother murdered by a scarred man during a fire. But when she says so, no one believes her. Now she’s staying at her mother’s childhood home with her grandfather, an American ambassador to a fictional small European country. And then she sees him – the scarred man.

The most interesting thing about All Fall Down is the narrator herself Grace. She says that she saw her mother murdered, but did she really? There were points in the novel where I began to doubt her assertion that it wasn’t all in her head, that it really happened. Yet despite this ambiguity in narration, I somehow never fully engaged with All Fall Down. I did end up finishing it, although I felt like I could have put it down midway through.

It could be that All Fall Down just isn’t my genre. I tend to read heavily in the science fiction and fantasy genres, and it’s a rare event that I pick up a contemporary YA novel (even if this one may be more suitably classified as a thriller). But I liked Ally Carter’s Heist Society, and I read her Gallagher Girls series throughout middle school, so I decided to give this one a try. For whatever reason, All Fall Down didn’t have the same appeal. Perhaps that’s due to the book itself, or perhaps to my tastes as a reader having changed. It’s hard to say.

Even as I’m fairly ambivalent about this book, the ending did produce enough of a twist that it’s made me consider reading the sequel. In all likelihood I won’t actually read the sequel, but if my mother or sister bring home a copy, who knows, I may end up changing my mind.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Aug 15, 2016 |

A new series of global proportions -- from master of intrigue, NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author Ally Carter.

Grace Blakely is absolutely certain of three things:

1. She is not crazy.
2. Her mother was murdered.
3. Someday she is going to find the killer and make him pay.

As certain as Grace is about these facts, nobody else believes her -- so there's no one she can completely trust. Not her grandfather, a powerful ambassador. Not her new friends, who all live on Embassy Row. Not Alexei, the Russian boy next door, who is keeping his eye on Grace for reasons she neither likes nor understands.

Everybody wants Grace to put on a pretty dress and a pretty smile, blocking out all her unpretty thoughts. But they can't control Grace -- no more than Grace can control what she knows or what she needs to do. Her past has come back to hunt her . . . and if she doesn't stop it, Grace isn't the only one who will get hurt. Because on Embassy Row, the countries of the world stand like dominoes, and one wrong move can make them all fall down.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:21 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,104,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible