Triple Moon by Melissa De la Cruz
353321,274 (4)None

What are the chances of reading two consecutive books with a character named Trent as a prominent character? Well, that is neither here nor there.

Mardi and Molly, sixteen year old twins, beautiful, spoiled, rich witches used to clubbing in Manhattan’s TripleMoonhot spots have been banished by their father, Troy, to the sedate little East End hamlet of North Hampton for the summer when their names become linked with the deaths of two students, Parker and Samantha, after a penthouse party. In an attempt to rein in their use of magic and to teach them ‘values’, the girls are babysitting Troy’s friend, Ingrid’s two children and are forced to get summer jobs like ‘normal’ kids. However, that’s like putting the fox in the chicken coup because they are exposed to two gorgeous guys who happen to be warlocks.

As the summer progresses, things get worse instead of better. The White Council of witches is seeking to censure (or worse) the two teens because of their visible use of magic which will cause attention by mortals to the existence of witches. The use of magic has been curtailed for the past ten years when mortals became suspicious of witches’ existence. In addition, there are witnesses who have come forward to say that Mardi and Molly actually pushed Parker and Sam in front of the oncoming number 6 subway train and therefore criminal charges are being contemplated against the twins. The problem is the twins have only vague memories of that night’s happenings.

However, getting their memories back and finding out who killed Parker and Sam takes a back seat in Triple Moon behind the girls hooking up, borrowing expensive stylish clothes, hooking up, drinking expensive wines, eating caviar, being jealous and secretive with each other and did I mention hooking up. Mardi races up and down North Hampton in her vintage red 1972 Ferrari. Molly rides Ingrid’s bike in stylish espadrilles or designer heels.

Ingrid and her sister Fryda, also witches, understand the seriousness of the matter and have even called in help from New Orleans in the form of Jean-Baptiste Mesomier, who specializes in regaining memory. However, the twins still remember little and do not take it seriously.

I do remember reading one of Melissa de la Cruz’s early books and liking it, however I don’t remember which one. Quite honestly, if I didn’t have to read Triple Moon for a journal review, I wouldn’t have read past page 2. I found the book truly mind-numbing and while I’m all for getting kids to read anything as long as they read, I would put Triple Moon at the bottom of the wish list. Not even the chapter names which are song titles (many of which her audience would not know) make this book palatable.

Mardi and Molly could care less about others, only thinking of themselves. Mardi drives a vintage Ferrari. Molly has a closet full of clothes. The boys in the story are gorgeous, blue-eyed, ribbed and rich…of course, rich. The girls think nothing of ‘hooking up’ and ‘removing clothing’, reneging on promises to babysit so that they can be with boys, drinking, etc. And while I don’t think every book has to have a moral, Molly and Mardi are no role models and surely project the wrong image for teens. If this isn’t offputting enough, it almost appears that Ms. de la Cruz got tired of reading her book because it hastily draws to a close with an improbable ending, even for a book about witches.

While I realize that Ms. de la Cruz is a prominent YA author and teens love to read her books, I could not in good conscience recommend Triple Moon to any reader. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Nov 11, 2015 |
Loved it!! So excited that I was able to read a galley copy. :) ( )
  whybehave2002 | Oct 7, 2015 |
I have to admit, this is the first book by Melissa de la Cruz that I’ve read; I also haven’t watched a single episode of the Witches of East End series. Not that I’m not interested, but because I wasn’t aware that such a book and TV series existed, until recently. Hence, I read this book without any expectations aside from the fact that I hoped I enjoyed it. Although I found the pacing slow, overall I enjoyed reading it and I like the author’s writing style.

Molly and Mardi Overbrook are twin goddesses/witches. Although they are identical, their fashion sense and personalities are vastly different. Molly is self-centered and liked elegance, Mardi is rebellious and preferred vintage. The twins are accused of a serious crime in New York, of which they have no recollection committing. Hoping that they will stay out of trouble and will learn how to responsibly use their powers, their father sent them to North Hampton for the summer. There they meet Ingrid, her husband Matt and their kids who the twins will babysit. They also meet Freya, Ingrid’s sister who works as a bartender. Aside from babysitting, the twins also need to find jobs. Molly lands a job at the Cheesemonger where she meets a shy boy named Marshall, while Mardi starts working at the docks. Eventually Molly meets handsome Tris Gardiner, while Mardi meets the equally attractive Trent Gardiner.

What the twins thought of will be a boring summer turns out otherwise as a slew of mysterious and troubling events start happening in North Hampton. Soon the twins find themselves in the center of it all as they try to recall the tragic events they left behind in New York, the secret of the ring they share and the truth behind the boys they are having a summer romance with.

The book is divided into 3 parts and I found the whole backstory of how the gods and goddesses ended on Earth fascinating (i.e. Troy, the twins father, is actually Thor). I also think readers will appreciate the inclusion of characters they read about in the previous books (i.e. Ingrid and Freya). Although Molly and Mardi did get on my nerves, they also have endearing qualities and you can’t help but root for them.

The book also includes a short story which serves as the Witches of East End TV series finale.

All in all I enjoyed this book and give it 4 stars. I received an advance copy of this book through Penguin's First to Read program. The book comes out on November 10, 2015. ( )
  VavaViolet | Sep 22, 2015 |

From the New York Times bestselling author of Blue Bloods and Witches of East End

After they cause a terrible accident at their old high school, twin witches Mardi and Molly Overbrook are sent to live with their “Aunt” Ingrid Beauchamp in North Hampton, on Long Island’s mist-shrouded East End. Unable to control their powers, their father begs Ingrid to tame them over the summer, before the White Council exiles the girls to Limbo.

Trouble continues to bubble and boil when the girls meet the younger Gardiner boys, who are just as handsome and sexy as their older kin. But all is not as it seems. As Ingrid helps the girls learn to control their magical impulses, Mardi and Molly have just this summer to figure out how to grow up, how to love, and how to be a family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:38 -0400)

Twin witches (and Norse goddesses) Molly and Mardi Overbrook are sent to North Hampton for the summer where they must learn to control their powers before the White Council exiles them to Limbo.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,626,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible