Christmas Truce by Aaron Shepard

Christmas Truce

by Aaron Shepard

I first decided to read this book because the Christmas season is almost upon us (despite what most retail stores would have us believe). I've heard about the truce before, and was genuinely curious to see this interpretation of it. The story and images are very powerful, and a timely read, especially with the unrest within many countries and the various wars and militant attacks going on all over the world. Perhaps if we can all realize we're not all that different after all underneath our skin color, the world could find some peace. ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | Nov 17, 2016 |
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review ( )
  Shadow494 | Aug 20, 2016 |
A beautiful story with gorgeous illustrations.

What makes this story especially heartwarming, is that it is based on true events. A real Christmas miracle.

So amazing that this event didn't happen in isolation, but sprung up all over the place. ( )

Christmas Day, 1914

My dear sister Janet,

It is 2:00 in the morning and most of our men are asleep in their dugouts -- yet I could not sleep myself before writing to you of the wonderful events of Christmas Eve. In truth, what happened seems almost like a fairy tale, and if I hadn't been through it myself, I would scarce believe it. Just imagine: While you and the family sang carols before the fire there in London, I did the same with enemy soldiers here on the battlefields of France!

The Christmas Truce of 1914 is one of the most extraordinary incidents not only of World War I but of all military history. Providing inspiration for songs, books, plays, and movies, it has endured as an archetypal image of peace. Yet much about the historic event remains shrouded in myth and legend.

In this fictional letter -- illustrated in authentic detail by Wendy Edelson -- award-winning author Aaron Shepard draws from firsthand accounts of soldiers at the front to portray the truce in its true nature and spirit.

TEACHERS AND LIBRARIANS -- A READER'S THEATER SCRIPT OF THIS BOOK IS AVAILABLE FREE ON AARON'S WEB SITE.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

Aaron Shepard's many books for young people have won honors from the American Library Association, the New York Public Library, the Bank Street College of Education, the American Folklore Society, and the National Council for the Social Studies. Visit him at aaronshep.com.

Wendy Edelson has been honored with the Pacific Northwest Book Award, the Moonbeam Children's Book Award, and the Mom's Choice Award. Her other illustrated books include Aaron's "The Baker's Dozen: A Saint Nicholas Tale." Visit her at wendyedelson.com.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Among the many entries celebrating this event's centennial, librarians and teachers should welcome this historically accurate telling for ages 9 and up." -- Kirkus Reviews (Web site), Aug. 11, 2014

"Beautifully and realistically illustrated." -- Alex Baugh, The Children's War (blog)

"Short but intense, heart-warming, full of hope, love, brotherhood, and friendship." -- Veronica Marzini, LibriAmoriMiei (blog), Nov. 8, 2014

"A beautiful (and true) tale, with lovely illustrations . . . Great for a readaloud to children!" -- Beth Nolan Conners, Beth's Book-Nook Blog (blog), Nov. 12, 2014

"Delightful . . . A really beautiful rendition of those fantastic events when, in the midst of war, the spirit of Christmas overruled the fighting and peace reigned on the battlefields." -- Elaine Brent, Splashes Into Books (blog), Dec. 7, 2014

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:48 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,451,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible