The Brilliant History of Color in Art by…

The Brilliant History of Color in Art

by Victoria Finlay

Short read- more vignette than how other topics were covered in her previous books, but enhanced by pictures of the different subjects (thanks, Getty!) ( )
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
This book, although written for the American market, would make an essential teaching aid in U.K. schools also!
The style of writing is skewed to U.S. children, but the amount of imported films and T.V. programmes that are available over here, that should not be a problem.
It sets out in a very straightforward way, without talking down to children, how the various colours used by artists both in the past and in modern times came about.
The illustrations used for each colour are well chosen and just might inspire budding artists to persue their future goals!
This digital copy was given to me by the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Gorgeous! I love this stuff – the origins of pigments, how they're used in paint and dyes, all the background one might expect and the bits that are rather mind-blowing. I received this as an epub from Netgalley for review – I would love to have it in hardcover, to sit and pore over the – yes, brilliant pages. ( )
  Stewartry | Dec 30, 2015 |
This wonderfully illustrated book of color history is, more or less, a takeoff from Finlay's 2002 or 2003 collection of essays in Color: A Natural History of the Palette, which I enjoyed very much (despite the fact that there were no actual colors t osee beyond that of the text and the page!) In The Brilliant History of Color in Art Finlay gives us 30+ fascinating, short pieces on various colors as they were discovered or became known in art history, from the ice age to the contemporary. The book, published by the J. Paul Getty Museum, is full of wonderful, feast-for-the-eye illustrations. Examples of colors include:"Greek White: The Myth of the White City," "Tyrian Purple: Cleopatra's Royal Color," "Titian Blue: Simply Unbelievable" and "Madder Red: Inventing the Color Wheel."

The pieces convey stories simply told, so at times I wondered if I was reading a book written for "young people." Or perhaps this is the author's pared down style. Either way, it wasn't much of a flaw (if it was indeed one) and was easily overlooked by a color junkies such as myself. It's the perfect book to feast on when you need to tune out the rest of the world (and would make a great gift). ( )
  avaland | Jan 24, 2015 |

"Journey from the Ice Age to the Digital Age with a surprising cast of characters on this worldwide tour of color in art. Students will discover the strange, intriguing, and humorous stories of their favorite colors, the science behind them, and how they forever changed the courses of art and history. Big questions will pique your students' curiosity: Why is the sky blue? Why are there seven colors in the rainbow? What is art, anyway? The Brilliant History of Color in Art is also a treasure trove of world art, from cave paintings to Roman treasures and Chinese dragon scrolls; to works by Titian and Michelangelo, Monet and Kandinsky, Rothko and Hockney; to contemporary sculpture and graffiti art. Many of the book's 166 spectacular images are from the collections of the J. Paul Getty Museum."--Publisher's description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,402,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible