Mother's Love Can Conquer Any Fear! by…

Mother's Love Can Conquer Any Fear!

by Subhash Kommuru

441,664,912 (3.25)None
Recently added byjp942205, jbarr5, jljaina, l_manning

Mother’s Love can Conquer any Fear by Subhash Kommuru
Summary:
Mother’s Love can Conquer any Fear informs the reader on how other cultures like that of the author resolve conflict. Using animal story, Kommuru demonstrated to the reader the social values of his ethnicity and wanted the reader to see his love and devotion to family. He allowed whole communities to be destroyed before or protagonist discovered how to defeat evil, only when her baby has been abducted and she realized her inner strength was the love of a mother. At that moment, we experience the denouement as evil has been defeated and the baby returned to a heroic mother. The intertextual quality of this picturebook has not changed from the author’s first book which was illustrated as a dedication to the author’s son, the graphics continue to appear to be colored with crayon. Although the illustrations appear to be the work of a child much of the theme of the story would not be discovered by our young readers and listeners without the intertextual parallel illustrations.
Personal Reaction:
I found that more than the book, I like this author. His themes are explicit and easy for any child to discover. His works provide the children with messages that any parent could be comfortable instilling in their own. As a grandparent, I get to instill moral values in a new set of children. My children’s children. This is a series of books that I will use with that purpose in mind. The multicultural aspect was not lost just because he used anthropomorphism to deliver his message. Because the book brings us pleasure the morals taught were not overcome by didacticism.
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. This picturebook should be read aloud to a primary school classroom on Mother’s Day. It’s message clearly written on the cover provides a real tribute to the strength of a mother’s love when protecting her family against all forms of evil.
2. The students could be given an opportunity to discuss when their mother did something special for them. They could bring a picture of their mother and put it up on a collage after sharing the reason they love their mother. The mothers could be invited to the classroom for this tribute.
3. On a week dedicated to child safety, the reality of abduction discussed on the level of the audience with ways they can help their families be able to respond quickly in case of an attempt or successful abduction like the character in the story was able to pool her resources and defeat her child’s kidnapper he was intent on evil and killing the child. ( )
  jp942205 | Jul 22, 2017 |
Mother's Love Can Conquer Any Fear!: - A perfect Bedtime story book for kids by Subhash Kommuru
Too difficult to read as I can't increase the font size. ( )
  jbarr5 | May 26, 2017 |
This is suppose to be a book for young children?! Well, I hate to say this but unless your child is well versed in Indian culture and names and an extended vocabulary, this is a far cry from an easy read.

On the farm Anand Nagar (put the two words together and it is actually the name of a city in India). There are some chickens being terrorizes by a crow. These chicken are fearful of him. The name of the book comes into play on one page where a mother hen faces the crow to save her chick.

With names like Shastriji, Kaalia, and Jamuna, plus words like frequent, argument, beautiful, aimlessly, resonated, thoughtfully, interrupted, dejected. and many others this is NOT an easy book for kids. Reading would be very hard, but even comprehending.

I can see parents as constantly being stopped to explain words like grazes, dejected, tyranny, etc. And the concepts are not exactly easy either. Especially with sentences like this in the middle of the book:

"Shastriji became busy preparing ECFE(Early Childhood Family Education)!"

Why is that in a childrens book about farm chickens?! Seriously?! I don't even want to have to stop reading to explain that.

Now for the art: I have mixed feelings about the artwork. To explain, let me state that the entire book is written and drawn with crayon (except for the peace and love meditation book drawn with colored pencil). Even the title page is in crayon style. Colorful for kids but also shows a lack of professionalism. The drawings are mostly decent and can even be pleasing. But then others look like the author let their kid do. This might do better to even just draw the characters and let the children who read the book color for themselves!

Overall, I was extremely disappointed. I would not read this to my child. Too much work, and by the time and age they are ready for the challenge they will likely be on a book with more plot and substance.

The exemption-If I lived in India or my family and/or neighborhood was heavily into Indian culture. Then this makes a bit more sense. (minus the large words and ECFE reference).

*I received a file copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
The chickens of Anand Nagar live a happy and peaceful life, until one day they begin getting attacked by the evil Kaalia. The wise chicken Shastriji has lots of ideas, but none of them seem to work. One day though, Kaalia does something that will cause one of the chickens to do something that will surprise everyone.

This is a very cute book. I loved the story. While Kaalia is attacking them, Shastriji has many ideas on how to save everyone. However, the most powerful thing is the one thing people lease expected. Ganga the mother hen shows that her love is the most powerful thing after all. The pictures in this book are all very bright and interesting. This book does a great job of telling a beautiful story that will mean something to mothers and children all over the world.

Book provided for review. ( )
  l_manning | Nov 14, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 099031782X, Paperback)

Shastriji is a wise old chicken who always has an answer for "How...." until comes the vile crow Kaalia, who is up to no good. Shastriji's ideas to deal with Kaalia backfires one after the other. Is Kalia‛s tyranny going to end? What if the right question is not "How" but "Why?" A funny and action packed story, glorifying motherhood. A Mother‛s love takes center stage to fight against all odds and propels Ganga to do something that dazzles everyone in Anand Nagar. Review: The Children's Book Review Picture books provide an engaging medium to teach lessons on values to young readers. In addition, using animals as main characters to craft and develop these lessons creates interesting, interactive, and memorable fables. In Mother's Love Can Conquer Any Fear!, author Subhash Kommuru and illustrator Sujata Kommuru have combined animals, storytelling, and expressive illustrations to successfully share the core values of family, community, and courage with young readers. Additionally, this fable demonstrates to children that though the village was afraid of Kaalia's wrath, that fear was conquered by the strength of a mother's love, which is a powerful and comforting message. These important lessons, accompanied by vivid illustrations of adorable chickens, make Mother's Love Can Conquer Any Fear! a delightful fable to share with readers of all ages. -The Children's Book Review (www.thechildrensbookreview.com) "This cute tale reminds the reader of the true value of a mother's love. Even though evil surrounds the pleasant village in this story, it is the everlasting love that saves the day. This book brings that statement to life." -Kathryn Starke, Founder/CEO, Creative Minds Publications, LLC Midwest Book review: Sujata Kommuru provides warm, fun crayoned backgrounds and drawings for the picture book Mother's Love Can Conquer Any Fear! .... The overall theme celebrating motherhood and bravery is accompanied by insights on the threat of evil and how to handle it. The story's gentle moral messages and celebration of mothers successfully evolves in an unexpected way. The result is a picture book reader that is a fun, different standout from the fable-oriented stories typically available to young readers, and a special recommendation for any collection strong in multicultural settings, fables, and animal stories. - Diane Donovan Midwest Book Review "A great read-along, or bedtime book with awesome use of imagination to give Indian flavor to the story. Cute, expressive and charming illustrations complimenting this heart warming storyline make this book - A very good read!" - Nayan Soni, Animator and Illustrator "A fun story with captivating illustrations." - Mrs Devi Retired teacher, grandmother of 2.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,320,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible