At Their Own Game by Frank Zafiro

At Their Own Game

by Frank Zafiro

131723,089 (4)None

At Their Own Game was a different take on a detective novel. The protagonist this time is Jake Stankovic, who used to be a police officer until he was ousted from the police force by another officer with a vendetta against him for sleeping with his wife.

Now Jake is a property crime thief, considering stepping up his business into drugs. But he considers himself “one of the good guys”. The good guys don’t deal in drugs. They don’t murder. But this deal goes sour and Jake loses all his money. To make matters worse, that detective that had a vendetta against him is back on his tail.

In a miracle moment a woman from his past walks back into his past and presents him an offer he can’t refuse whereupon everything starts to fall apart.

I found the plot complicated, yet plausible. The author did a good job with the character development and the plot twists. I never suspected that the protagonist would do what he did, but perhaps that’s just my naïve belief in people.

The pace of At Their Own Game was excellent. It moved along quite nicely and had a fair amount of action. It did not lag at all. The dialogue was natural and smooth.

There was a lot of foul language in this book, so if that offends you, I would suggest you give this book a pass, otherwise, the plot and storyline are very interesting and will hold your attention if you enjoy the suspense genre.

I rated this novel at 4 out of 5 stars. If you are a crime and suspense fan, I think you’ll enjoy this different approach to the genre.

Thank you to the author who provided a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

This review was published on my blog Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2014/11/book-review-at-their-own-ga... ( )
  KathrynSvendsen | Nov 14, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,604,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible