Samson's Gift by Ellen Jean Diederich

Samson's Gift

by Ellen Jean Diederich

212,551,640 (4)None
Recently added byPresChurch, KathrynSvendsen

Samson’s Gift truly is a delightful story about an orphan lamb with the finest wool that he gives to the baby Jesus on the night of His birth. It is accompanied by beautiful paintings depicting each of the scenes.

I liked the author’s humour in reference to other bible stories. It shows that she has a basic knowledge of the stories of the bible. I also thought the page at the back of the book with the definitions and fun facts about sheep were an excellent addition to the book so that young and old could learn a little bit more about sheep.

The only thing I didn’t agree with in the book is that Tedra, the shepherdess that adopted Samson, lied in order to keep Samson from getting Samson being sheared when he was hiding. This makes it seem like lying is okay if the end result is a good one. Although this book is a fictional account of a bible story I felt it should still uphold the basic truths such as that lying is not okay so that lie really stuck out for me.

Due to the lie, I had to knock off one star. I rated Samson’s Gift 4 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the publishers via NetGalley for providing a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion is not required. All thoughts are my own.

This review is published on my blog Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2014/11/book-review-samsons-gift-by... ( )
  KathrynSvendsen | Nov 14, 2014 |

The Holidays comes once a year, but here is a Christmas story that will be a delight to open any month of the year. SAMSON'S GIFT wraps the historic 'Babe in the Manger' tale in a new cloak, and what a cloak it is; made of wool fit for a King. Its donor, Samson, is an orphaned lamb, adopted by Tedra, a shepherd's daughter. As Samson matures, his unusually fine wool is due to be sheared, but thanks to Tedra, his protector, he escapes the shears. Three Wise Men who have followed a special star illuminates a nearby stable in which they find a baby laid in a manger full of prickly straw, wrapped in strips of cloth torn from the parent's clothing. Samson volunteers his precious wool to protect the newborn. At the conclusion of this inspirational story about giving your best gift and giving for the right reason, is a glossary of sheep facts. Young and old will delight in the author's 24 empathetic paintings. Ellen, the artist and illustrator of the book, knows her subject well having grown up on a farm and currently resides in Fargo, North Dakota.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:27 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,569,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible