You Can't Make This Up: Miracles, Memories,…

You Can't Make This Up: Miracles, Memories, and the Perfect Marriage of… (2014)

by Al Michaels

I've seen Al Michaels on broadcasts for a number of years but didn't know much about him. It was interesting to read about his early interest in and his early years in broadcasting and how he approached it. I most enjoyed the stories where I could identify the event (The U.S. Hockey team winning the Olympic Gold, Mary Decker/Zola Budd, etc.) The book is written in a conversational style that makes it easy to read. At times I could hear Al Michaels' voice in my head saying the words on the page. ( )
  JenniferRobb | May 18, 2018 |
Great book. I've always thought of Al Michaels as "just there", which might not sound too good, but to a professional like Michaels, that's actually high praise because it was about the sport and not him. The names! What a career... football, basketball, boxing, hockey, baseball, the Olympics...And what stories! I watched the movies Apollo 13, Secretariat, The Right Stuff and even though I knew what the outcomes were, I (and this is rare for me) got wrapped into them enough to hold my breath at the crucial points. Michaels (and Wertham) was able to reel me in with his chapter on the 1980 Winter Olympics and the US win over the USSR pros. That alone gets five stars. ( )
1 vote Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
This was a great read! Having a chance to "hear" Al Michaels talk through all the great moments I remember listening to over the last 30 years was wonderful. While reading I could "hear" his voice in my head. The "Do You Believe in Miracles" hockey game, the sportcaster who was nominated for an Emmy for news for his work on the earthquake in San Francisco that happened while they were on the air for a World Series games. An amazing number of Monday Night/Sunday Night football games with announcers like Howard Cosell, Dandy Don, and John Madden. It was a wonderful trip down memory lane.

If you like sports and have ever listened to Al Michaels this is a true treat. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote bookswoman | Feb 18, 2016 |
I definitely have mixed feelings about this book. I love memoirs - I guess I must be hooked on reading about other people’s lives. I did enjoy following Al Michaels’ career – and learning more about what it takes to become a success in the field of broadcasting. What I didn’t like so much was the fact that, at times, the book seemed to be a list of names and events that I knew nothing about. I consider myself a moderate sports fan (I follow NASCAR closely – football moderately – and baseball sporadically). I am sure that if I was more of a sports fan, I would have enjoyed this book more. I would encourage anyone who is a sports fan to read this book, just to see what goes on behind the scenes! ( )
  peggy.s | Feb 10, 2015 |
I am admittedly a little bias as Michaels is one of my favorite announcers. Enjoyable read of the twists and turns in his career and the many building blocks required for Michaels to ascend to the top of the profession. As he has been present at and broadcast many high profile national and international events (most notably, the 1980 Olympics), Michaels has a rich trove of anecdotes to share about a vast cast of characters. As he is an avid golfer, he has hit the links with the likes of Donald Trump and George W. Bush. Also provides an insider's view of the network operations and the devious characters associated with the sports broadcasting industry. Very easy, fast-paced read. ( )
1 vote VGAHarris | Jan 19, 2015 |
To the loves of my life--Linda, Steve, Jenny and Jeff, Kaitlyn, Aidan, Nate and Emily.
It's June 2012.

In this highly entertaining and insightful memoir, one of television’s most respected broadcasters interweaves the story of his life and career with lively firsthand tales of some of the most thrilling events and fascinating figures in modern sports.

No sportscaster has covered more major sporting events than Al Michaels. Over the course of his forty-plus year career, he has logged more hours on live network television than any other broadcaster in history, and is the only play-by-play commentator to have covered all four major sports championships: the Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Finals, and the Stanley Cup Final. He has also witnessed first-hand some of the most memorable events in modern sports, and in this highly personal and revealing account, brings them vividly to life.

Michaels shares never-before-told stories from his early years and his rise to the top, covering some of the greatest moments of the past half century—from the “Miracle on Ice”—the historic 1980 Olympic hockey finals—to the earthquake that rocked the 1989 World Series. Some of the greatest names on and off the field are here—Michael Jordan, Bill Walton, Pete Rose, Bill Walsh, Peyton and Eli Manning, Brett Favre, John Madden, Howard Cosell, Cris Collinsworth, and many, many more.

Forthright and down-to-earth, Michaels tells the truth as he sees it, giving readers unique insight into the high drama, the colorful players, and the heroes and occasional villains of an industry that has become a vital part of modern culture.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

An eight-time Emmy Award-winning broadcaster interweaves the story of his life and career with lively tales of major events and engaging figures in modern sports, from the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" finals to the 1989 World Series earthquake.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,323,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible