Becoming Rain by K. A. Tucker

Becoming Rain

by K. A. Tucker

This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & MoreReview
Oh Luke, I remember how much I disliked you in Burying Water, but you redeemed yourself in this book.

I absolutely love this series, and getting a peek into the lives of this group of people. Luke was definitely a pain in the ass in the previous book, but I find that I like him much more after reading this book. He finally gets his wish and his uncle pulls him into his business. Though it's along the lines of what he thought, he's not sure how to deal with this new responsibility. He also isn't sure why he's suddenly having feelings for a woman. He never lets himself get complicated with the ladies, but this one is different. I liked seeing the lighter, less cocky side of Luke. He's actually pretty funny when he's not being an arrogant jackass.

Claire is handed the opportunity that can boost her career and she goes on this assignment thinking she won't get pulled under by the oh so charming Luke. She's determined to close down this car theft ring and earn her way into the FBI. I love how naive she is at the beginning, and then how she falters with her assignment and her feelings. She knows what she has to do, and at the same time doesn't want to bring this sweet, kind man down. She doesn't think he's capable of some of the horrible things that have been committed during these thefts.

The premise of the book was exciting. You didn't know who to trust, and when things were revealed you were led in different directions. There's one character in particular that I would love to get more information on. I also loved the romance angle on this, even though my heart broke at times for both characters. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
I loved the first book but this one irked me. I really don't like stupid females..... At least the book got better towards the end. That saved it from a 2 star rating. ( )
  bpreed | May 9, 2015 |
Becoming Rain is such an electrifying and thought-provoking story in all its uniqueness filled with suspense and enough romance to keep the reader wanting more.

Clara Bertelli dream is to work as a federal agent. In order to prove herself and get her name at the top of the list, she goes undercover as Rain Martines in order to take down a car theft ring in Portland. She needs to bring down Rust since he is the one at the top of the thefts but in order to get to him, Rain needs to get close to Luke, Rust’s nephew. It is definitely not easy to get his attention but when she finally does, he can’t leave her alone…and neither can she. Rain must put her feelings aside or she will lose her career. But when love comes to play, what will she do: choose her career or fight for Luke? You’d be surprise by the outcome.

Going into the story, I didn’t fully know what to expect. I knew it would good but this story exceeded my expectations. What I loved about it was that the author didn’t mainly focus on the romance, she really put a lot of thought into the undercover aspects and the suspense, which gave a thrilling feel to the story. Starting from the beginning, it was rather slow but I was so excited to find out what was going to happen that I speed-read for the first few chapters. When things start to pick up and the action feel to it starts making light, I knew I was sucked in for the whole story. There were a lot of aspects that the reader needed to know first in order to understand what was happening when the excitement started.

As soon as Luke made an appearance, I gravitated towards him—it was like an instant pull. I was 10% in when I posted on Goodreads: “I can see why it would be so easy to fall for Luke *sighs dreamily*”. He is actually a decent human being. He doesn’t know what exactly he is getting into. All he wants is to have the acceptance of his uncle and make him proud and he will do anything for him. What I didn’t like a bit was that he was way too confident, the kind that makes you want to doubt if his intentions are true but besides that, I was in love.

“You’re perfect. Almost too perfect … Sometimes I wonder if you’re even real.”

I close my eyes with his words, as his mouth finds my collarbone. I am real. At least, parts of who he’s seen are. And this is real, what’s happening between us right now.

Rain and Luke are complete opposites and watching both of these characters grow to practically be “one” and their connection was gratifying. While Rain lived a very strict and middle class life, Luke was surrounded by money from the get go. His uncle made sure Luke had everything he needed and even got him a Porsche! But as I mentioned before, Luke was so different when his work and the money weren’t involved. I loved getting into his head and discovering the real Luke.

I’m standing at the edge of a cliff now, and I have no choice. I have to jump, even though the landing is going to hurt. But I know the fall will be pure ecstasy.

I love K.A. Tucker a lot. Her stories are always so thought-provoking and engaging. She really delivered a great story with Becoming Rain and I cannot wait for the third book, Chasing River, to come out. Like the girls over at Lost In Lit, I’m hoping this third book has Warner as the main character. Warner is another FBI agent that always kept an eye on Rain, always looking out for her and protecting her as best as he could. I really want to know more about this character and really want him to have a happy ending. ( )
  GenGenBookBlog | Apr 24, 2015 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Action packed story that has great romance, loveable characters and a unique plot. There were a few moments that dragged a little but overall this was a great read!

Opening Sentence: It’s a modest Seattle suburban hone, with two stories, steep gables, and cream-colored siding.

The Review:

Luke Boone has always figured he would eventually join the family business. He knows that his uncle Rust doesn’t always follow the letter of the law, but the rewards seem to be totally worth it. With endless amounts of money coming in and living the high life, it seems that breaking a few laws is totally worth it. Until very recently Luke has pretty much just done grunt work that is 100% legal, but his uncle is finally going to give him a shot at making a name for himself. Luke didn’t think life could be any better, but then he meets Rain. She makes him feel things he never thought possible and he might have finely found the girl for him! But Rain isn’t the exactly who she seems.

Clara Bertelli loves her job. She is only twenty-six years old but she is one of the best undercover cops in the D.C. area. But she does have dreams of joining the FBI one day and she is handed an opportunity that could make that dream come true much sooner than she was expecting. There is a huge car theft ring that spreads internationally and the FBI wants Clara to infiltrate it by getting to know Luke Boone, the nephew of the ring leader. Clara will go undercover as Rain Martines, a rich young woman that should easily catch the eye of Luke Boone. But soon Clara is thrown into a life of luxuries she have never experienced before and finally meets her target. She is surprised by how much she loves being Rain. Clara has never had trouble fulfilling her job before, but the charming Luke Boone has her crossing lines she never thought possible. Clara is doing things that could not only jeopardize her career but the whole case.

Clara/Rain is a very unique character. I loved that she was a female cop; I haven’t really read many books where the girl is a cop. She is obviously a strong protagonist and one of those people that you can easily look up to. She is a beautiful, confidant woman that knows what she wants out of life. The one area that she does struggle in is relationships. She is married to her work and it always comes first. Personally, I didn’t love that about her, but I respect that she at least has priorities. She wants to make a difference in the world and she does that by putting the bad guys away. She always tries to do the right thing and I admired that about her. I thought it was very interesting to watch her change as she got to know Luke better. She comes to realize that not everything is as black and white as she thought. Overall, I thought she was an amazing character and I loved reading her story!

Luke is such a great character. First of all, he is a total hottie and has one of those extremely charming personalities. He is a bad boy, but at the same time he is also a really sweet guy. His father abandoned his family when he was a little, so his uncle Rust stepped into the role of being Luke’s father. Rust is filthy rich and not all his money comes through honest dealings. Luke always figured that someday he would join the family business, even if it isn’t the most honest work. But I loved that Luke hesitates when it comes to doing illegal things. You would think that someone raised with his lifestyle wouldn’t really have a moral compass, but that is something Luke certainly has. He is actually a pretty honest person and surprisingly I found that I respected him. The way he treated Rain was so adorable and I loved them together.

Becoming Rain was a unique romance filled with mystery, suspense, and emotion. Once I started reading this I found that it was really hard for me to put down. There were a few moments that seemed to drag out throughout the story, but for the most part the pacing was spot on. I loved the romance! It developed slowly and was just beautifully written. I thought the characters were very well rounded and easy to connect with. The plot was really intriguing and keeps your interest. The only thing about the story I didn’t love was the ending. I felt that it was a little anticlimactic, and I was hoping to get a little more from it. Things were wrapped up nicely and it’s not that it was a bad ending, I just thought it could have been a little better. This is the second book in a series, but you can easily read it as a standalone. I actually haven’t read the first book yet, but after reading this, Burying Water is going in my TBR pile. I think that Tucker has a great style of writing and she really knows how to tell a wonderful story. I would highly recommend this to anyone that is looking for a great new adult book with mystery and romance!

Notable Scene:

Luke Boone has me in a tailspin. No target has ever had me second-guessing myself this much, this early. It’s just the pressure of the case, I remind myself. “I’m sure I will.” I take long, slow steps, ensuring my movements are sleek and appealing, the opposite of my frantic thoughts, and I desperately search for another hook, since nothing I’m casting has caught so far.

“So, when did you say you’re cooking dinner for me?”

I fight the urge to groan with relief but I can’t keep the smile from exploding across my face. “Whenever you call me.” I turn to regard him, to see his smug face—like he knew I was waiting for it all along, like he was toying with me—and nod to the sheet on his desk. “You have my number.”

“I do.” His eyes twinkle. “I’ll call you soon.”

FTC Advisory: Atria Books/Simon & Schuster provided me with a copy of Becoming Rain. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Mar 17, 2015 |
I wanted to read Becoming Rain because I enjoyed the first in the series, and her other NA series. She writes perfectly flawed characters that are easy to love, and an addictive plot. I wasn't disappointed in Becoming Rain although it was a bit different than I expected.

I liked Clara, and it was nice to see a woman who loves her career and is so driven. She is getitng to live the wealthy life as she is undercover trying to get into the suspected crime ring and her target is Luke. I did like meeting Luke, although it was different seeing him as a prospective criminal. He wanted in on what he knew was his uncle's real money making business, but he is stuck in the legit garage. It definitely was a book that examines the gray and take out of black and white of romance, what he might be getting himself into with the illegal aspects, and how far Clara/Rain will go and when it will be crossing the line and when she will be acting from a professional versus woman falling in love.

Honestly it was a bit slow in the set up, and while I liked that it was a slow romance because Rain isn't supposed to actually fall for him, she was supposed to take him and his uncle down. But Luke is thoughtful and sweet. They have some serious chemistry. But their dual perspective in the beginning felt like I was getting too much back story.

I am wondering if I am starting to burn out some on NA or if it was just timing for me and a bit of different set up.

It did pick up though and I kept wondering how hard their hearts would break and how and if they would get a HEA.

I was pretty happy with how it concluded though surprisingly enough, but wouldn't have been nearly there without the epilogue.

Bottom Line: New main character type and concept for NA. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Mar 9, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 147677420X, Paperback)

A suspense-driven New Adult romance novel from the USA TODAY bestselling author of Ten Tiny Breaths and Burying Water.

Luke Boone doesn't know exactly what his uncle Rust is involved in but he wants in on it—the cars, the money, the women. And it looks like he's finally getting his wish. When Rust hands him the managerial keys to the garage, they come with a second set—one that opens up the door to tons of cash and opportunity. Though it's not exactly legal, Luke's never been one to worry about that sort of thing. Especially when it puts him behind the wheel of a Porsche 911 and onto the radar of gorgeous socialite named Rain.

Clara Bertelli is at the top of her game—at only twenty-six years old, she's one of the most successful undercover officers in the Washington, DC, major crime unit, and she's just been handed a case that could catapult her career and expose one of the West coast's most notorious car theft rings. But, in order to do it, she'll need to go deep undercover as Rain Martines. Her target? The twenty-four-year-old nephew of a key player who appears ready to follow in his uncle's footsteps.

As Clara drifts deeper into the luxurious lifestyle of Rain, and further into the arms of her very attractive and charming target, the lines between right and wrong start to blur, making her wonder if she'll be able to leave it all behind. Or if she'll even want to.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:43 -0400)

Luke Boone doesn't know exactly what his uncle Rust is involved in but he wants in on it. It's not exactly legal, but it puts him behind the wheel of a Porsche 911 and onto the radar of gorgeous socialite named Rain. Clara Bertelli is one of the most successful undercover officers in the Washington, DC, major crime unit, and she's going deep undercover as Rain Martines in order to expose one of the West coast's most notorious car theft rings. As the lines between right and wrong start to blur, will she be able to leave it all behind?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible