The Two Gentlemen of Altona (Playing the…

The Two Gentlemen of Altona (Playing the Fool, #1)

by Lisa Henry, J.A. Rock (Author)

Updated Review to Include the AUDIOBOOK VERSION

Lisa Henry's and J.A. Rock’s thoroughly delightful series, Playing the Fool, is now available in audiobook and the first book, [b:The Two Gentlemen of Altona|22439645|The Two Gentlemen of Altona (Playing the Fool, #1)|Lisa Henry|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1408431875s/22439645.jpg|41864532], narrated by the fabulous Nick J. Russo was amazing. This is my first audiobook narrated by Russo and I loved his performance. His characters' voices were distinct without coming off cartoonish and his female voices were done in a way that did not sound like some guy making an insulting "girly" voice (God, I hate it when male narrators do that with female voices). The other two books in the series are definitely first up on my Audible Wish List.

As for the actual story, the writers have given us one of my all-time favorite couples. This isn't a cliffhanger series, but I implore you to read the entire series to fully appreciate Mac and Henry together. This isn't a relationship driven by mindless insta-lust (though the sexual tension between the two is hot enough for it) but instead feels like so much more. ( )
  AddictedReader28 | Oct 19, 2017 |
Ridiculousness: 2
Annoying: 2
To re-read: 6 ( )
  lulumiami | Sep 3, 2017 |
Mac is an uptight FBI special agent. Henry is a conman. When Henry is witness to a gang hit, they are brought together. What begins as antagonism soon turns into attraction but this is never going to be straightforward. Not only are they on opposite sides of the law, they are both afraid to trust. And someone is trying to kill them.

This is a fast, fun read, full of twists and turns. The Shakespearean motif is deftly handled and never laboured. There are misunderstandings, reversals, deceptions - and moments of real poignancy.

Mac is driven and conscientious but feels distant from his colleagues with their water-cooler talk of family weekends. Henry has charm and a colourful cast of associates but there are hints of a darker side to his life.

The two men have a complexity and warmth which make this more than just an odd-couple caper. This is the first book in a series and I definitely want to read more about Mac and Henry.

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. ( )
  KateVane | Dec 8, 2014 |
added by gsc55 | editMy Fiction Nook, Rosa (Feb 13, 2015)

added by gsc55 | editThe novel Approach, Sammy (Jan 3, 2015)

added by gsc55 | editMM Good Book Reviews, Pixie (Dec 31, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editIt's About the Book (Dec 31, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editSinfully Sexy, Macky (Dec 29, 2014)

Lisa Henryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rock, J.A.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,422,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible