Jailhouse Doc: A Doctor in the County Jail…

Jailhouse Doc: A Doctor in the County Jail

by William Wright M.D.

Book received through Edelweiss.

This is the second memoir written by Dr. Wright. This one focuses on his time as a doctor in the county jail in Colorado Springs, unlike his first one that took place in a SuperMax prison. He talks about some of the unusual complaints by certain patients, the difficulty in long term treatment of those in a county jail, and the complaints from patients to their lawyers or even their mothers trying to get meds they don't necessarily need. I really enjoy books like this, it gives you a glimpse into a part of life that most people will never experience or even know about. Due to the way he makes references back to his first book, reading it could be helpful but not necessary. However, I will be reading his first book as well since I enjoyed this one. ( )
  Diana_Long_Thomas | Feb 28, 2017 |
Probably a 3.5. It was very interesting to read something that I didn't really know anything about. Another reviewer offered a "rant" on her opinions of the author's bigotry. I can't say I agree at all. Might some of his humor have been a little less than "PC" as we say now? Sure, but as another reviewer commented there is a certain aspect of gallows humor involved here, and remember this is a memoir detailing his experiences thoughts and feelings, not a research paper requiring him to cite statistics. It was clear that Dr. Wright was not only concerned with providing the best care he could under the circumstances of the practice, acknowledging that everyone deserved it on more than one occasion, but he also took the time offer some food for thought about how we might approach the whole concept of the corrections system more effectively. It did take me a little bit to get used to use of the word miscreant, I will admit, since it has a decidedly negative connotation for me, but it was accurate to the definition. There were some parts that were repetitious, gave me kind of a feel of collected blog posts, but all in all it was informative and entertaining. I would consider reading his other work about his time in the maximum security prison should I come across it. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Of course I enjoyed this book. I am a nurse who enjoyed working in the jail and House of Corrections for one Sheriff's Dept, and in a different jail in another county after relocating. I was intrigued by his perspective as MD accustomed to serving solvent clients as opposed to the indigent. I can't comment on the prison experiences, only the jail ones. I will admit to being disappointed that he did not mention that approximately 25% of jail residents (regardless of jail size) are the truly mentally ill (as opposed to 'situational depression' of having gotten caught), but gratified that the issues around chronic overcrowding were exposed. I am sorry for his experiences with the politics of corrections, but very pleased that he exposed the issue. It can happen anywhere.
I feel that this first person account was very well written and provides a cautionary tale to the readers.
Eric Martin gave an excellent audio performance! Truly captured the emotional responses of the writer to so many new experiences and outrages.
"This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of Audiobook Blast." ( )
  jetangen4571 | Nov 15, 2015 |
What a fantastic read! I loved the way Dr. Wright handled all the politics and other problems in corrections medicine. He took it all in stride and made the best of it.
I can't wait to start his first book, it should be a winner as well. ( )
  sj1335 | Oct 4, 2015 |
This is a very honest account of how inmates in a county jail are treated. It raises many questions about how the prisoners are treated and why we have so many prisoners in jails in the first place. The book also highlights what it's like working for a corporate medicine provider. The book ends with the author being fired due to political concerns. It makes me wonder why we still keep the sheriff, the supervisor of the jail, as an elected position. Shouldn't it be a professional, rather than a politician? Anyway, this is a good, if all too brief, read. ( )
  p_linehan | May 21, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,058,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible