4.50 from Paddington by Agatha Christie

4.50 from Paddington (original 1957; edition 2000)

by Agatha Christie

Member:ecureuil
Title:4.50 from Paddington
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Penguin Putnam Inc (2000), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:**
Tags:Novel, Crime, Classic, British Literature

4:50 from Paddington by Agatha Christie (1957)

Recently added bycupocofe, private library, scottsdalebookgirl, gbragle, Indigoaalane, proustitute, nelago14
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg

English (43)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (47)
Originally posted @ Novel Reveries
The mystery turn out a lot better than I thought it would. As usual Agatha Christie keeps you guessing until the very end, and that is what I absolutely love about her writing. So far, for me, this has been the best Miss Marple mystery I've read so far. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Originally posted @ Novel Reveries
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Oh the end is so good, I actually never expected that. Clever Miss Marple. Good premise, too. Sadly, I didn't really believe in the family drama, it was too contrived and felt very forced. Besides, Lucy would have been an interesting character if she hadn't been so unrealistic - in class-ridden England, I have trouble believing such a character would exist. I could feel that Christie needed someone to investigate instead of Miss Marple and then had to come up with Lucy when it should have been the other way around. I'm frankly disappointed in the story for the beginning and end were really above the rest. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
An elderly lady sees a murder committed on a train passing by. She reports it, but no one believes her. She tells her friend, another elderly lady. The authorities investigate, but no body turns up. Did the killer get away with murder? Not with Miss Marple on the case. A fine mystery indeed. ( )
  lesaneace | Oct 16, 2013 |
I've recently discovered a liking for Agatha Christie novels and found this audiobook in our local library. As most other productions by the "Hörverlag" (at least the older onces, they have changed that policy since Harry Potter due to greater interest in audiobooks) this is an abridged version. I haven't read the full novel yet, so I can't comment on how much was left out. Having seen one of the movie adaptions beforehand, I also knew the ending and thus can't comment if it's logically understandable for someone who only knows this abridged edition.

The story itself was good as always. And as mostly with Agatha Christie, the identity murderer and his motive was a surprise to me (when I saw the movie adaption) but when it's all cleared up it makes total sense. I really found I liked the character of Lucy Eyelesbarrow. ( )
  Zurpel | Sep 22, 2013 |

Hickson, JoanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orengo, NicoForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simonsen, HelgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mrs. McGillicuddy panted along the platform in the wake of the porter carrying her suitcase.
Original title for the US publication was What Mrs McGillicuddy Saw!, and a 1963 paperback edition used the title Murder, She Said.

For an instant the two trains ran together, side by side. In that frozen moment, Elspeth witnessed a murder. Helplessly, she stared out of her carriage window as a man remorselessly tightened his grip around the woman's throat. The body crumpled. The the other train sped off. No one believes what she has seen except for her good friend Miss Marple, who sets out to find a body and match wits with a killer.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451200519, Mass Market Paperback)

Sensible Elspeth McGillicuddy is not given to hallucinations. Or is she? After she boards the Paddington Station train and becomes a witness to an apparent murder, no one believes her but her friend-the indomitable sleuth Miss Jane Marple.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:20 -0400)

For an instant the two trains ran together, side by side. In that frozen moment, Elspeth witnessed a murder. Helplessly, she stared out of her carriage window as a man remorselessly tightened his grip around a woman's throat. The body crumpled. Then the other train drew away. But who, apart from Miss Marple, would take her story seriously? After all, there were no suspects, no other witnesses, and no corpse.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,546,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible