A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

A Christmas Carol (1843)

by Charles Dickens

15,254343121 (4.08)3 / 1230
    David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (ncgraham)
    The Man Who Invented Christmas: How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits by Les Standiford (bell7)
    bell7: Les Standiford explores the many ways in which Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" affected our celebration of Christmas.
    Stories For Christmas by Charles Dickens (ReadHanded)
    The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde (chrisharpe)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking-Glass and Alice's Adventures Under Ground by Lewis Carroll (cometahalley)
    The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain by Charles Dickens (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: The Haunted Man is the last of Charles Dickens' five Christmas tales and the one most like A Christmas Carol.
    The Haunted Looking Glass: Ghost Stories Chosen by Edward Gorey by Edward Gorey (jonathankws)
    The Lives and Times of Ebenezer Scrooge by Paul Davis (JGKC)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (keremix)
    keremix: I don't wanna give spoilers, but for me it was hard to miss the things these two books have in common.
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (cometahalley)
    I Saw Three Ships by Elizabeth Goudge (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: Sweet, short Christmas story. Not a similar plot to A Christmas Carol, but I find it more enjoyable.
    A Christmas Carol as a mime with narration by Kay Macaulife (KayCliff)
    The Greatest Gift: The Original Story That Inspired the Christmas Classic It's a Wonderful Life by Philip Van Doren Stern (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Greatest Gift is the book that was turned into It's a Wonderful Life, probably the second best Christmas story after A Christmas Carol!
    Payback: Debt and the Shadow Side of Wealth by Margaret Atwood (kathrynnd)
Ghosts (1)
Read (43)
. (4)
1840s (3)

English (327)  Italian (4)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  All (343)
I love A Christmas Carol. I always have. It's a great story...it's a great lesson to learn and it's very well written. There is nothing bad to say about this book. ( )
  ElleLainey | Dec 30, 2017 |
I thought I should at least read something loosely related to Christmas this December. I'm sure that everybody knows the Christmas Carol story. However, my early recollections seemed to involve Disney's Donald Duck and some of Mickey Mouse's relatives. I was slightly bemused by this vague memory and thought I must have been mistaken until I found this list of film adaptations.

It seems that there was a Disney version of this and DD had been renamed Scrooge McDuck for the purposes. Very confusing for a child. Anyway....

The book is somewhat different as, year after year, the miserly Ebeneezer Scrooge makes it his business to ruin Christmas for everybody. This, until, his former business partner's ghost appears and warns him of several expected visitors. The ghost of Christmas past, present and future seek to remind Scrooge of his failings, show him that he has no excuse and warn him of his eventual demise if he doesn't mend his ways. The shock of the spooky meanderings by themselves would probably have been enough to jolt any sane person to their senses and Scrooge is no exception as he dramatically seeks to change his ways.

I hear groans from some as I look at what this book can teach us spiritually. I'm not sure that much can be learned from ghosts, in duck form or otherwise, seeing as they don't exist, well at least, they aren't reappearances of those who have already departed. Perhaps, though, we can learn what Christmas is not about through this tale:

There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I have not profited, I dare say,” returned the nephew. “Christmas among the rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round—apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that—as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!

You will note that the nephew highlights everything except the true meaning of Christmas. This, he touches on briefly in the form of veneration rather than a celebration of the biggest event ever to occur on planet Earth (apart from the crucifixion!)

I've noticed an increasing hardness of heart year on year as people get busier and busier celebrating something that they know little or nothing about. Gifts abound and credit cards are maxed out for this event that people spend all year thinking about and planning for....yet the true meaning has been totally lost. It would be seriously bizarre if it wasn't so tragic that the enemy has succeeded in blinding the eyes of so many people through materialism, or a misplaced focus on religious tradition.

On a side note, I also noticed that Dickens had a brief dig at conservative Christians in this novel as he commented that it was a misinterpretation of the will of the higher power for shops and other commercial enterprises to be closed on Sundays.

There was one useful gem in the book which we would do well to bear in mind:

Not to know that no space of regret can make amends for one life’s opportunity misused!

Life is an opportunity to serve God and to tell others of the good news of Jesus Christ especially at this time of the year when we remember His birth. Let's keep the true meaning of Christmas at the centre of our celebrations and offer hope to those who don't yet know Him! ( )
  sparkleandchico | Dec 25, 2017 |
There are many books about the Christmas season that are well written. One of them at the top of my list is "A Christmas Carol". Mostly because I believe it speaks about generosity. But also because it ties in things that are important to me about the season, like gathering together with family and supporting children in need.

I've viewed the mid - Victorian story on film and stage, but the book is my most beloved. And, it has been translated into several languages.
I love the wordiness of Dickens and feel that he makes us aware Christmas is a time when, "Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices". And, I expect it would have been great to live in a time to hear Dickens recite this himself.

Yes, Ebenezer Scrooge, is haunted by his business partner Jacob Marley with the ghost of Christmas Past, Present, and Yet To Come.

In reading this, you know that Scrooge is melancholy. But after their haunting visits he learns of his own ignorance and wants and is a changed man.

This story make us all realize the lessons life teaches us in controlling the shadow of our own growing tree. As this book points out in the beginning, where our shadow may fall.

Purchased ( )
  LorisBook | Dec 21, 2017 |
The original that launched the many copies. After all the ones I've watched the first still holds up. ( )
  charlie68 | Dec 21, 2017 |
What a fantastic story! How terrible it was to be poor in the Victorian Era. Dickens was a humanitarian and saw first hand the poverty in the streets of London. The starving urchins trying to steal an apple or a handkerchief. The void between the rich and the poor. This story, like Oliver Twist in my opinion is a masterpiece.

The musicals are just, brilliant.

Christmas is coming, we know its near

Evenings are darker, the cold weather is here

Will there be snow? The sky is white

Or have they been Chem- Trailing? All through the night?

Corporations love it! Consume, buy, consume, buy

Temptation, pretty colours, prices way too high

We know we can't afford it, so credit cards we use

When ones child is surrounded by all these things, how could one refuse?

More and more credit, people just don't see

It's all a lure, to take your hard earned money!

The bank is in the red, cards no credit left

Spending money we have not got, it is all akin to theft

When the party is over, it is a New Year

Reality hits home, and many are filled with fear

All the booze has gone, the cakes and turkey too

Everything purchased, has been used or consumed

Not a pot to piss in, just a huge vacuum

Hung over, depressed, lots of work to do, back to the mundane

Was it ever worth it? We all must be insane

Not the CEO's though, happy they are

Their bank accounts are bursting, and probably have a new expensive car

The rest of us sadly, continue as before

A working persons life, is really a chore

Up early, commute, and work all bloody day

Obey a boss, yes sir no sir, everything is OK

Repeat it day in day out, for a pittance of pay

Repetition, repetition, its like Ground Hog Day

We pay our taxes, National Insurance too, Why?

Yet when we need benefits, or an operation, no matter how we try

We never tick their boxes, computer says no!

One is talking to a human but, they never show

Any compassion, empathy or emotion, no semblance of care

They are only doing their job, and the box has no tick in there

One does not tick the box, one has no chance

No matter whatsoever, one's circumstance

Computer says no, the Beast see's no profit, even though one's contributions were paid in

That's the Corporations, corpses, bleeding us dry, we are drowning

NHS has no money, it is failing fast, what a damn cheek!

No money in the NHS yet, footballers earn £250,000 a week!

A crazy world we live in, it's all inverted and upside down

Could have had a crazy woman as US president but, ended up with a Clown

All these Elites are crazy, and not there for us

When the shit hits the fan, we will be under the bus

These people are all part of a secret clique

And we are not invited, as we are weak

We work through the Week Days

Like in a field, a sheep, that never strays

And come the Weekend, we are weakened, and need a rest

Sunday is the sabbath, relax, cos' Mon one is needed to be at their best

For one has to pay their taxes, their debts too

It's a never ending cycle, insane, loopy loo

Perpetual debt, slavery, stocks and bonds, assets frozen and Banksters

Liquidation, cash flow, currency, CEO's are Wankers

Most of one's earnings taken, and sucked in by the Beast

We will eat budget foods while CEO's feast

Money is our bondage, this paper we crave, we are simply debt Slaves

Maritime Law, Piracy Of The High Seas, and Britannia Rules The Waves

By Leo.

Remember this one growing up? Nostalgia...

Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat

Please put a penny in the old mans hat

If you have not a penny, a halfpenny will do

If have you not a halfpenny, then God bless you

A pleasant nursery rhyme

Or

Christmas is coming, the rich are getting fat

Devoured everything, and that is that

Taken all the money, everything else too

And absolutely nothing left, for me and you

:-0

Let's enjoy our festivities and forget about the rich and their ilk

Let them wear their designer clothes and enjoy their sheets of silk

Let indulge on the meat, puddings, port, whiskey and wine

Choke on the gristle, whilst they dine

Let them smoke their cigars, eat all the candy and nuts

Fill their veins with cholesterol and burst their guts

Fatten their bellies, and pickle their liver

Just that thought, gets me all of a quiver

So here is a greeting, with joy and cheer

As we welcome in, another New Year ( )
  nicademus7 | Dec 21, 2017 |

Worsley, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zwerger, LisbethIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

A Christmas Treasury of Yuletide Stories and Poems by James Charlton

Five Novels: A Christmas Carol/David Copperfield/Great Expectations/Oliver Twist/A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Great Expectations / Hard Times / A Christmas Carol / A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

A Christmas Carol / The Chimes by Charles Dickens

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge’s name was good upon ’Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.
"God bless us, every one!" said Tiny Tim, the last of all.
"Bah!" said Scrooge. "Humbug!"
Marley was dead: to begin with.
If you should happen, by any unlikely chance, to know a man more blest in a laugh than Scrooge's nephew, all I can say is I should like to know him too.
This work contains various editions of the unabridged book "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. Please do not combine it with adaptations or abridgments, or with collections that contain additional works.
I am assuming (without any evidence!) that the Puffin children's edition is an adaptation: if you know that it is NOT, please combine with the main work, otherwise leave it be.
Specially edited for reading aloud before an audience.
ISBN 1568461828 is not a DK Eyewitness Classics edition.
ISBN 1580495796 is "Unabridged with glossary and reader's notes." "This Prestwick House edition, is an unabridged republication of A Christmas Carol, published by George Routledge and Sons, London."
Filled with description, Charles Dickens writes about the struggles of a poor family and the despicable Ebenezer Scrooge. Scrooge is a ruthless man who only cares about himself and money. Scrooge's entire character is changed on the night of Christmas Eve when is is visited by three ghosts as he relives parts of his past and his future in order to see what has and would become of him if he does not make a dramatic change in his life. I absolutely love this story and all that it entails. It is somewhat towards the bottom of my list though because some of the description can become a bit daunting as you read this novel.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0486268659, Paperback)

In the history of English literature, Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol, which has been continuously in print since it was first published in the winter of 1843, stands out as the quintessential Christmas story. What makes this charming edition of Dickens's immortal tale so special is the collection of 80 vivid illustrations by Everett Shinn (1876-1953). Shinn, a well-known artist in his time, was a popular illustrator of newspapers and magazines whose work displayed a remarkable affinity for the stories of Charles Dickens, evoking the bustling street life of the mid-1800s. Printed on heavy, cream-colored paper stock, the edges of the pages have been left rough, simulating the way in which the story might have appeared in Dickens's own time. Though countless editions of this classic have been published over the years, this one stands out as particularly beautiful, nostalgic, and evocative of the spirit of Christmas.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:58 -0400)

Der alte Ebenezer Scrooge ist ein hartherziger Geizkragen, wie man ihn im ehrw(4)(Brdigen London wohl kaum ein zweites Mal antrifft. Seinem unterbezahlten Angestellten Bob Cratchit droht er regelm?ig mit K(4)(Bndigung, wenn dieser es auch nur wagt einen Blick auf den Kohlenkasten zu werfen, um vielleicht das bitterkalte Kontor damit etwas aufzuheizen, f(4)(Br seine bed(4)(Brftigen Mitmenschen hat er nur Geringschtzung (4)(Bbrig und Weihnachten hlt er f(4)(Br geld- und zeitverschwendenden Humbug. In der Nacht zum 25. Dezember jedoch erhlt er unerwarteten Besuch. Der Geist seines vor sieben Jahren verstorbenen Geschftspartners Jacob Marley sucht ihn auf, um ihn vor einem schrecklichen Schicksal zu warnen. Die schaurige Erscheinung ist an eine lange, schwere Eisenkette gefesselt. Jene Kette, die er sich mit seiner Hartherzigkeit, seiner Gier und seinem Geiz im Leben selbst geschmiedet hat. Marley bietet Scrooge nun eine Mglichkeit sich zu bessern und seine eigene, jetzt noch unsichtbare Kette abzustreifen. Dazu werden ihn drei Geister aufsuchen. (Auszug aus Wikipedia)… (more)

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014132452X, 014119474X, 0141389478

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438863, 1909438871

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,786,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible