A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

A Christmas Carol (original 1843; edition 2012)

by Charles Dickens

14,432329139 (4.07)3 / 1174
Member:Caitylin21
Title:A Christmas Carol
Authors:Charles Dickens
Info:Textbook Classics (2012), Paperback, 110 pages

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (1843)

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (ncgraham)
    The Man Who Invented Christmas: How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits by Les Standiford (bell7)
    bell7: Les Standiford explores the many ways in which Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" affected our celebration of Christmas.
    Stories For Christmas by Charles Dickens (ReadHanded)
    The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde (chrisharpe)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking-Glass and Alice's Adventures Under Ground by Lewis Carroll (cometahalley)
    The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain by Charles Dickens (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: The Haunted Man is the last of Charles Dickens' five Christmas tales and the one most like A Christmas Carol.
    The Haunted Looking Glass: Ghost Stories Chosen by Edward Gorey by Edward Gorey (jonathankws)
    The Lives and Times of Ebenezer Scrooge by Paul Davis (JGKC)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (keremix)
    keremix: I don't wanna give spoilers, but for me it was hard to miss the things these two books have in common.
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (cometahalley)
    I Saw Three Ships by Elizabeth Goudge (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: Sweet, short Christmas story. Not a similar plot to A Christmas Carol, but I find it more enjoyable.
    A Christmas Carol as a mime with narration by Kay Macaulife (KayCliff)
    The Greatest Gift: The Original Story That Inspired the Christmas Classic It's a Wonderful Life by Philip Van Doren Stern (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Greatest Gift is the book that was turned into It's a Wonderful Life, probably the second best Christmas story after A Christmas Carol!
    Payback: Debt and the Shadow Side of Wealth by Margaret Atwood (kathrynnd)
Ghosts (1)
Read (43)
. (4)
1840s (3)

English (310)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  All (325)
So I've never read the book but I grew up watching TV reruns (which came up every once in awhile) of the 1984 movie (of the same name). Yeah, the scenes with food every where always made me hungry and Want & Ignorance always made me sad and the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come always gave me the heebie jeebies.

The short 78 page story is something I found I rather liked as I really enjoy reading Dicken's writing - lyrical prose of the sort that curls over the page like the heady aroma of used books shop. It is amazing how something written so far back can still resonate so much. And here my favourite quote from the book (of which there are quite a few):

"Some people laughed to see the alteration in him, but he let them laugh, and little heeded them; for he was wise enough to know that nothing ever happened on this globe, for good, at which some people did not have their fill of laughter in the outset; and knowing that such as these would be blind anyway, he thought it quite as well that they should wrinkle up their eyes in grins, as have the malady in less attractive forms. His own heart laughed: and that was quite enough for him."

Throughout the ages there will always be people with the same failings, the same hopes, the same resilience.

Great short Christmas read!

(Read this for the "A Book Set During Christmas" Popsugar challenge... the only obvious choice for me... hahahaha...) ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
From Gutenberg, the 1843 edition, with John Leech illustrations. I decided to watch as many visual versions of the story as I could this year (on #11 as I type this - the oldest surviving adaptation, a 1901 short ... gotta love the internet), and I realized that I'd not read this since I was 13, so forty years is long enough.

I give five stars for inspiring so many adaptations. That and so pretty good writing. "The dealings of my rade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!" And things weren't much different in 1843 England than from today's tea partiers and FoxNews watchers: Dickens named a creature hidden in the robes of Christmas Present "Ignorance", crying "...but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom..."

Trivium point I had long forgotten: Cratchit's name isn't mentioned until Christmas Present. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
It feels a bit shameful that this is my first reading of A Christmas Carol, though I would not claim to have any particular fondness for Dickens. However, annual viewing of the 1951 version (clearly the best adaptation) of this film has been a long standing tradition in my family and I was curious to see how it holds up to the original story. And I must say, it's an admirable job. I think A Christmas Carol is the best representation of the spirit of Christmas (with the only exception possibly being A Charlie Brown Christmas) and I enjoyed experiencing it in its original form. A quick, delightful read, especially if you're already familiar with the charms and particulars of this story.

A bit of eternal wisdom offered by the Ghost of Christmas Present: "'There are some upon this earth of yours,' returned the Spirit, 'who lay claim to know us, and who do their deeds of passion, pride, ill-will, hatred, envy, bigotry, and selfishness in our name, who are as strange to us and all our kith and kin, as if they had never lived. Remember that, and and charge their doings on themselves, not us.'" ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
A Christmas Carol is a story I've seen I don't know how many adaptations for. I recently watched the one from Doctor Who, which was excellent, but there are a lot of good ones, and it's a good story. A bit overused and overrated, but good.

This is the first time I read the original story, and I have to say I came away sorely disappointed. This is one of those cases where the best adaptations have something that the original story just doesn't. It seems to me that some of the adaptations give Scrooge a better reason for being a dickhead than the original story did. Here he was lonely and poor as a child, and that's pretty much it. I guess that's reason enough to be a dickhead? Sure, why not. It doesn't help that we fly right through the familiar treks of the story so fast and with no time to breathe that nothing sinks in or carries weight. Scrooge's lonely childhood is summed up in a vague sentence about him being neglected by his friends. How the hell am I supposed to give two shits about his already incredibly generic rough childhood if they don't even stop to focus on the details that make it unique to him?

This is the first time I've read Dickens, and I really do not care for his writing style one bit, which definitely put a damper on any enjoyment I might have had . It rarely evokes emotion or vivid imagery and is just...oddly worded and structured. Here's an example:
In the struggle, if that can be called a struggle in which the Ghost with no visible resistance on its own part was undisturbed by any effort of its adversary, Scrooged observed that its light was burning high and bright; and dimly connecting that with its influence over him, he seized the extinguisher-cap, and by a sudden action pressed it down upon its head.
I honestly don't understand how someone living today can enjoy a book that's written this way. I'm sure it was great in it's time and everything, but it's just so counter to how prose has evolved since then. It's superfluous, redundant, and overwrought.

The weird thing is, I have no idea if it's just a product of the time, or if it's unique to Dickens. I have thoroughly enjoyed quite a lot of books from the 1800s, ala Sherlock Holmes, H.G. Wells, etc. Those books are a joy to read. They are easy to read. Their prose is clear, and elegant. Sure, they still show some signs of that older style of writing, but it's never a blockade like it is here. It never impedes forward progress, or makes comprehension/immersion any more difficult than reading modern prose would be. Those are from the 1880s or later, however, and this book was written in 1843. Perhaps that 37 year gap holds a much wider difference in prose style than I think it should? I've read plenty of books from the 1950s that seem almost contemporary, but I have no idea if that's a fair comparison. Either way, it's not much fun to read now. Not much fun at all. Bah Humbug! ( )
  ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
All time favorite Christmas book. Dickens understood man's greed and avarice and disregard for society's downtrodden. Yet even while knowing so much of his fellow man Dickens still believes that humanity can change and their is hope in even the hardest of hearts. Dickens introduces the character of Scrooge, a man who has become so caught-up in the almighty dollar that he has forgotten about his fellow man. But Dickens sends Scrooge a second (and a first and third !) in the form of three ghosts - The Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future. Through their visits Scrooge discovers what he has forgotten (perhaps never known) - that love and kindness make even the worst of situations bearable. I think that Scrooge's nephew Fred is Dickens alternate ego. After reading Dickens writing I always feel like I have been to that England that Dickens knew. I can taste the hot chestnuts, the plum pudding, and the roasted goose; smell the stink of the over-crowded city, and feel the awe and wonder Tiny Tim must have felt while going to the cathedral for Christmas service and when he and his father came home to a beautiful big Christmas goose. I wish everyone could read this book and have their hearts open to the joy of giving and their minds open to miracles. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |

Worsley, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zwerger, LisbethIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

A Christmas Treasury of Yuletide Stories and Poems by James Charlton

Five Novels: A Christmas Carol/David Copperfield/Great Expectations/Oliver Twist/A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Four Complete Novels: A Christmas Carol; Great Expectations; Hard Times; A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

A Christmas Carol / The Chimes by Charles Dickens

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge’s name was good upon ’Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.
"God bless us, every one!" said Tiny Tim, the last of all.
"Bah!" said Scrooge. "Humbug!"
Marley was dead: to begin with.
If you should happen, by any unlikely chance, to know a man more blest in a laugh than Scrooge's nephew, all I can say is I should like to know him too.
This work contains various editions of the unabridged book "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. Please do not combine it with adaptations or abridgments, or with collections that contain additional works.
I am assuming (without any evidence!) that the Puffin children's edition is an adaptation: if you know that it is NOT, please combine with the main work, otherwise leave it be.
Specially edited for reading aloud before an audience.
ISBN 1568461828 is not a DK Eyewitness Classics edition.
ISBN 1580495796 is "Unabridged with glossary and reader's notes." "This Prestwick House edition, is an unabridged republication of A Christmas Carol, published by George Routledge and Sons, London."
Filled with description, Charles Dickens writes about the struggles of a poor family and the despicable Ebenezer Scrooge. Scrooge is a ruthless man who only cares about himself and money. Scrooge's entire character is changed on the night of Christmas Eve when is is visited by three ghosts as he relives parts of his past and his future in order to see what has and would become of him if he does not make a dramatic change in his life. I absolutely love this story and all that it entails. It is somewhat towards the bottom of my list though because some of the description can become a bit daunting as you read this novel.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0486268659, Paperback)

In the history of English literature, Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol, which has been continuously in print since it was first published in the winter of 1843, stands out as the quintessential Christmas story. What makes this charming edition of Dickens's immortal tale so special is the collection of 80 vivid illustrations by Everett Shinn (1876-1953). Shinn, a well-known artist in his time, was a popular illustrator of newspapers and magazines whose work displayed a remarkable affinity for the stories of Charles Dickens, evoking the bustling street life of the mid-1800s. Printed on heavy, cream-colored paper stock, the edges of the pages have been left rough, simulating the way in which the story might have appeared in Dickens's own time. Though countless editions of this classic have been published over the years, this one stands out as particularly beautiful, nostalgic, and evocative of the spirit of Christmas.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:58 -0400)

Una grabacion completa por un elenco de artistas, en espa ol, de la obra clasica de Charles Dickens Un Cuento de Navidad (A Christmas Carol). Se le da la oportunidad a un hombre llamado Scrooge de cambiar un destino maldito por ser tomado en un viaje a traves del tiempo por los fantasmas de las Navidades pasadas, presentes, y futuras.… (more)

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014132452X, 014119474X, 0141389478

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438863, 1909438871

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,159,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible