A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

A Christmas Carol (original 1843; edition 2012)

by Charles Dickens

13,750315152 (4.07)3 / 1089
Member:Caitylin21
Title:A Christmas Carol
Authors:Charles Dickens
Info:Textbook Classics (2012), Paperback, 110 pages

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (1843)

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (ncgraham)
    The Man Who Invented Christmas: How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits by Les Standiford (bell7)
    bell7: Les Standiford explores the many ways in which Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" affected our celebration of Christmas.
    Stories For Christmas by Charles Dickens (ReadHanded)
    The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde (chrisharpe)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking-Glass and Alice's Adventures Under Ground by Lewis Carroll (cometahalley)
    The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain by Charles Dickens (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: The Haunted Man is the last of Charles Dickens' five Christmas tales and the one most like A Christmas Carol.
    The Haunted Looking Glass: Ghost Stories Chosen by Edward Gorey by Edward Gorey (jonathankws)
    The Lives and Times of Ebenezer Scrooge by Paul Davis (JGKC)
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (cometahalley)
    I Saw Three Ships by Elizabeth Goudge (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: Sweet, short Christmas story. Not a similar plot to A Christmas Carol, but I find it more enjoyable.
    A Christmas Carol as a mime with narration by Kay Macaulife (KayCliff)
    The Greatest Gift: The Original Story That Inspired the Christmas Classic It's a Wonderful Life by Philip Van Doren Stern (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Greatest Gift is the book that was turned into It's a Wonderful Life, probably the second best Christmas story after A Christmas Carol!
    Payback: Debt and the Shadow Side of Wealth by Margaret Atwood (kathrynnd)
Read (43)
Ghosts (1)
. (4)

English (300)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (313)
Muppet version is somewhat superior. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
Beautiful Story

I only gave it three stars because it was harder to read than I expected. It's hard to judge with the classics, some are easier than others to get through. I thought this would be easier because I love the story. The only thing I look forward to at Christmas time is watching as many movie versions of this story as I can. I love the story and out of all the versions I've seen, the 1999 Patrick Stewart version stays closest to the original text.

The writing wasn't lacking (clearly), it was just hard to get through the language. But it felt like an accomplishment to finish as it's been on my 'to-read' list for quite some time. ( )
  PriPri77 | Jun 23, 2016 |
An enjoyable tale about a vicious man who sees the error of his way with a little spiritual help. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jun 19, 2016 |

“I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach!”

A Christmas Carol has become such a classic of the holiday that it's practically a part of Christmas tradition for some families. If you think of a Christmas book, this one will definitely pop up. Surprisingly this is my first year actually reading it, although of course I'd seen an animated version. There are SO many animated versions, and plays, and... clearly the story is popular.

I'm not a big fan of Dickens, but haven't given up on him yet - here he tells the story craftily with beautiful writing. It's not overdone with flowery language or too many pauses in between content, unlike other times I've tried his thicker works. It's not at all hard to read and instead comes across graceful with writing like this:

“No space of regret can make amends for one life's opportunity misused”

and

“He was consious of a thousand odours floating in the air, each one connected with a thousand thoughts, and hopes, and joys, and cares, long, long, forgotten.”

It's hard to rate a plot I already know so well, but it was an inventive and predictable one. The ghost of Christmas past is more jolly, the ghost of the present has an ominous ending (and those children are creepy) and it makes sense the third, filled with doom, would be silent. Dickens did a good job fleshing out the characters in what was supposed to be a moral tale. Most were there as archetypes to loan the moral lesson cred, even to the point of Tiny Tim who is supposed to be seen as so sweet and helpful his name starts with 'tiny', but despite this not many can say they haven't heard of Ebenezer Scrooge. He was not only a fully fleshed out character, but he became one of the most popular characters in literature, theater and film.

A wonderful book that showcases moral lessons that are suitable for the entire year, but especially at Christmas, especially when you want to turn that frown upside down and get rid of the 'humbug' mentality. Bring on the Christmas cheer!
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
How many times have I seen the movie versions but never read the book! What a wonderful story! I think I am going to make this an annual tradition. ( )
  Rich_B | Jun 2, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge’s name was good upon ’Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.
"God bless us, every one!" said Tiny Tim, the last of all.
"Bah!" said Scrooge. "Humbug!"
Marley was dead: to begin with.
If you should happen, by any unlikely chance, to know a man more blest in a laugh than Scrooge's nephew, all I can say is I should like to know him too.
This work contains various editions of the unabridged book "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. Please do not combine it with adaptations or abridgments, or with collections that contain additional works.
I am assuming (without any evidence!) that the Puffin children's edition is an adaptation: if you know that it is NOT, please combine with the main work, otherwise leave it be.
Specially edited for reading aloud before an audience.
ISBN 1568461828 is not a DK Eyewitness Classics edition.
ISBN 1580495796 is "Unabridged with glossary and reader's notes." "This Prestwick House edition, is an unabridged republication of A Christmas Carol, published by George Routledge and Sons, London."

Filled with description, Charles Dickens writes about the struggles of a poor family and the despicable Ebenezer Scrooge. Scrooge is a ruthless man who only cares about himself and money. Scrooge's entire character is changed on the night of Christmas Eve when is is visited by three ghosts as he relives parts of his past and his future in order to see what has and would become of him if he does not make a dramatic change in his life. I absolutely love this story and all that it entails. It is somewhat towards the bottom of my list though because some of the description can become a bit daunting as you read this novel.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0486268659, Paperback)

In the history of English literature, Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol, which has been continuously in print since it was first published in the winter of 1843, stands out as the quintessential Christmas story. What makes this charming edition of Dickens's immortal tale so special is the collection of 80 vivid illustrations by Everett Shinn (1876-1953). Shinn, a well-known artist in his time, was a popular illustrator of newspapers and magazines whose work displayed a remarkable affinity for the stories of Charles Dickens, evoking the bustling street life of the mid-1800s. Printed on heavy, cream-colored paper stock, the edges of the pages have been left rough, simulating the way in which the story might have appeared in Dickens's own time. Though countless editions of this classic have been published over the years, this one stands out as particularly beautiful, nostalgic, and evocative of the spirit of Christmas.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:58 -0400)

Una grabacion completa por un elenco de artistas, en espa ol, de la obra clasica de Charles Dickens Un Cuento de Navidad (A Christmas Carol). Se le da la oportunidad a un hombre llamado Scrooge de cambiar un destino maldito por ser tomado en un viaje a traves del tiempo por los fantasmas de las Navidades pasadas, presentes, y futuras.… (more)

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014132452X, 014119474X, 0141389478

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438863, 1909438871

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,392,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible