A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

A Christmas Carol (original 1843; edition 2012)

by Charles Dickens

13,972318148 (4.07)3 / 1117
Member:jillmbeverly
Title:A Christmas Carol
Authors:Charles Dickens
Info:Textbook Classics (2012), Paperback, 110 pages
Tags:ghosts, Christmas, greed

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (1843)

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (ncgraham)
    The Man Who Invented Christmas: How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits by Les Standiford (bell7)
    bell7: Les Standiford explores the many ways in which Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" affected our celebration of Christmas.
    Stories For Christmas by Charles Dickens (ReadHanded)
    The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde (chrisharpe)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking-Glass and Alice's Adventures Under Ground by Lewis Carroll (cometahalley)
    The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain by Charles Dickens (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: The Haunted Man is the last of Charles Dickens' five Christmas tales and the one most like A Christmas Carol.
    The Haunted Looking Glass: Ghost Stories Chosen by Edward Gorey by Edward Gorey (jonathankws)
    The Lives and Times of Ebenezer Scrooge by Paul Davis (JGKC)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (keremix)
    keremix: I don't wanna give spoilers, but for me it was hard to miss the things these two books have in common.
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (cometahalley)
    I Saw Three Ships by Elizabeth Goudge (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: Sweet, short Christmas story. Not a similar plot to A Christmas Carol, but I find it more enjoyable.
    A Christmas Carol as a mime with narration by Kay Macaulife (KayCliff)
    The Greatest Gift: The Original Story That Inspired the Christmas Classic It's a Wonderful Life by Philip Van Doren Stern (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Greatest Gift is the book that was turned into It's a Wonderful Life, probably the second best Christmas story after A Christmas Carol!
    Payback: Debt and the Shadow Side of Wealth by Margaret Atwood (kathrynnd)
Read (43)
1840s (3)
. (4)
Ghosts (1)

English (304)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Japanese (1)  English (317)
Although I have watched many movie and play versions of A Christmas Carol, it is still refreshing to read the written words.

I am always appreciative that Dickens manages to get his point across without imposing an overtly religious message. Also, thankfully the plot isn't focused on a schmaltzy holiday romance. There is ample character development within a very short time frame, which seems difficult to achieve within a short story. Maybe Scrooge accepts the messages from the spirits too quickly, but otherwise this classic continues to be one of my favorite holiday stories. *5 stars*

Just for fun, here is an interesting link with an example of Dicken's original manuscript and other information:
http://www.themorgan.org/collections/works/dickens/dickens-at-work ( )
1 vote Lisa805 | Dec 1, 2016 |
Well, I don't need to tell anybody here about Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol. I might be the only person living who hadn't already read it at some point.

I'll just say Tim Curry is brilliant (also not news) and he elevated the story to art.

My reaction throughout the story was surprise, as I had always had the impression that Scrooge was a hostile witness throughout the first two ghosts' visits. That's what I get for comparing the real thing to a TV adaptation.

Anyway, if you're looking for a brilliant audio production of a classic for Christmas, look no further than this little gem. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 27, 2016 |
How do you review a beloved, favorite classic, by a beloved, favorite author?

(I actually sat here staring at my screen for ten minutes, trying to figure out where to start)

Everyone knows the story of A Christmas Carol and has seen at least a half a dozen versions of it, either in cartoon or movie form (I prefer Mickey's a Christmas carol). All the versions stay pretty true to the book, remarkably - is it because it's such a classic that no one wants to stray too far, or is it because it's really that good?

Despite how jarring the ending is for me (how quick Scrooge makes his abrupt turnover, that is), and how quick the book actually ends after just a few pages of Scrooge making a complete turnaround, this book is such a classic for one reason - it is just such a heart-warming story that you have to revisit and reread every year. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
I love this book. One of my favorite classics of all time. It's a Christmas tradition with me to read this one every year.

rubyandthetwins | Oct 4, 2016 |
Love it. It's one of those books that I want to read every Christmas. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge’s name was good upon ’Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.
"God bless us, every one!" said Tiny Tim, the last of all.
"Bah!" said Scrooge. "Humbug!"
Marley was dead: to begin with.
If you should happen, by any unlikely chance, to know a man more blest in a laugh than Scrooge's nephew, all I can say is I should like to know him too.
This work contains various editions of the unabridged book "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. Please do not combine it with adaptations or abridgments, or with collections that contain additional works.
I am assuming (without any evidence!) that the Puffin children's edition is an adaptation: if you know that it is NOT, please combine with the main work, otherwise leave it be.
Specially edited for reading aloud before an audience.
ISBN 1568461828 is not a DK Eyewitness Classics edition.
ISBN 1580495796 is "Unabridged with glossary and reader's notes." "This Prestwick House edition, is an unabridged republication of A Christmas Carol, published by George Routledge and Sons, London."
Filled with description, Charles Dickens writes about the struggles of a poor family and the despicable Ebenezer Scrooge. Scrooge is a ruthless man who only cares about himself and money. Scrooge's entire character is changed on the night of Christmas Eve when is is visited by three ghosts as he relives parts of his past and his future in order to see what has and would become of him if he does not make a dramatic change in his life. I absolutely love this story and all that it entails. It is somewhat towards the bottom of my list though because some of the description can become a bit daunting as you read this novel.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0486268659, Paperback)

In the history of English literature, Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol, which has been continuously in print since it was first published in the winter of 1843, stands out as the quintessential Christmas story. What makes this charming edition of Dickens's immortal tale so special is the collection of 80 vivid illustrations by Everett Shinn (1876-1953). Shinn, a well-known artist in his time, was a popular illustrator of newspapers and magazines whose work displayed a remarkable affinity for the stories of Charles Dickens, evoking the bustling street life of the mid-1800s. Printed on heavy, cream-colored paper stock, the edges of the pages have been left rough, simulating the way in which the story might have appeared in Dickens's own time. Though countless editions of this classic have been published over the years, this one stands out as particularly beautiful, nostalgic, and evocative of the spirit of Christmas.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:58 -0400)

Una grabacion completa por un elenco de artistas, en espa ol, de la obra clasica de Charles Dickens Un Cuento de Navidad (A Christmas Carol). Se le da la oportunidad a un hombre llamado Scrooge de cambiar un destino maldito por ser tomado en un viaje a traves del tiempo por los fantasmas de las Navidades pasadas, presentes, y futuras.… (more)

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014132452X, 014119474X, 0141389478

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438863, 1909438871

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,633,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible