A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

A Christmas Carol (original 1843; edition 2012)

by Charles Dickens

13,435310162 (4.06)3 / 1070
Member:jillmbeverly
Title:A Christmas Carol
Authors:Charles Dickens
Info:Textbook Classics (2012), Paperback, 110 pages
Tags:ghosts, Christmas, greed

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (1843)

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (ncgraham)
    The Man Who Invented Christmas: How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits by Les Standiford (bell7)
    bell7: Les Standiford explores the many ways in which Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" affected our celebration of Christmas.
    Stories For Christmas by Charles Dickens (ReadHanded)
    The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde (chrisharpe)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking-Glass and Alice's Adventures Under Ground by Lewis Carroll (cometahalley)
    The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain by Charles Dickens (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: The Haunted Man is the last of Charles Dickens' five Christmas tales and the one most like A Christmas Carol.
    The Haunted Looking Glass: Ghost Stories Chosen by Edward Gorey by Edward Gorey (jonathankws)
    The Lives and Times of Ebenezer Scrooge by Paul Davis (JGKC)
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (cometahalley)
    I Saw Three Ships by Elizabeth Goudge (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: Sweet, short Christmas story. Not a similar plot to A Christmas Carol, but I find it more enjoyable.
    A Christmas Carol as a mime with narration by Kay Macaulife (KayCliff)
    The Greatest Gift: The Original Story That Inspired the Christmas Classic It's a Wonderful Life by Philip Van Doren Stern (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Greatest Gift is the book that was turned into It's a Wonderful Life, probably the second best Christmas story after A Christmas Carol!
    Payback: Debt and the Shadow Side of Wealth by Margaret Atwood (kathrynnd)
Read (43)
. (4)
Ghosts (1)
Unread books (1,040)

English (295)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  All languages (308)
3.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I had never read A Christmas Carol before, and even more shocking, I'd never read Charles Dickens before last week (unless you count a manga adaptation of Great Expectations). I was however familiar with the story (can someone not be familiar with the story?) and after I happened to stumble on the first chapter by chance last week, I immediately thought: I want to read this for Christmas.

I got a copy that was made available via Project Gutenberg, bringing ebooks of old books. I will just discuss some thought, as I believe the books has been reviewed way better than I could possibly do, and detailed description can easily be found.

I liked it more than I expected. Of course, the story held little to no surprises, and that's exactly why I was afraid I wouldn't like it any more. However, in reading there was something extra, I can't really decide what it was, that made it feel like it still added something to what I already knew. (As good books tend to do). Even though it was written quite some time ago, it didn't bother me when reading and there was definitely enough going on to keep the story (which is not so long after all) interesting.

It almost breathed Christmas. I was never such a big fan of the story, but in the light of Christmas, I may have to revise my opinion! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Why I Read It:

Like many people, I have yet to experience a Christmas during which A Christmas Carol is not on the television at some point during the day. Despite this, though, I’ve only seen snatches of the movie, so I thought I’d pick up the book this year.

Plot: 4/5

Classic. Everyone knows it. Ebenezer, the Original Scrooge, is the most miserly old man you’ll ever meet. He doesn’t have a single kind word or deed to spare for anyone, and he has no use for Christmas. Of course, all of that changes when he is visited by three ghostly acquaintances.

This story is very heartwarming in the way that Scrooge transforms at the end, which makes it a satisfying Christmas tale.

Characterization: 5/5

Dickens has given us some of his most memorable characters in A Christmas Carol. “Scrooge” has become a household term. He is outrageously hateful at the beginning, and terribly pitiful in the middle, and wonderfully lovable at the end. Scrooge’s character (and the changes he undergoes) is what makes the lesson of the book so strong. And of course, Scrooge’s foils–Bob Cratchit, Tiny Tim, his sister Fan–only serve to highlight how crotchety he is.

Voice/Style: 5/5

I love Dickens, so I love his writing style. This book didn’t disappoint–it was in turns funny, eerie, sentimental and heartwarming. I liked that the creepiness of the ghosts balanced out the at times sickly sweet narrative.

Additional Elements: 5/5

My favorite thing about this story is the method that the ghosts use to turn Scrooge’s heart from stone to warm, beating flesh. It’s not just that he is scared into change, although fear does play a part in his transformation. No, he also remembers what he once had and the people he once loved and who loved him. Memory, empathy, and knowledge help him to see how much he still has to offer the world. And I think that’s a valuable lesson during Christmastime or anytime: remember the good times in life, be grateful for what you have, and share with people who don’t have as much.

Recommended for:

People who want a good Christmas classic or a quick, heartwarming read. ( )
  blackrabbit89 | May 6, 2016 |
The timeless classic of a grumpy old man who gets a wake up call from a ghostly friend/former business partner & some other ethereal beings.

I know the back of the novel I have says that its the "unabridged" version, but this seems much shorter than other copies I've seen, so I can't honestly say if that is true or not. ( )
  cebellol | May 3, 2016 |
A Christmas Carol is a timeless story about a man who is far removed from the Christmas spirit. He swindles people out of their money daily and will have to answer for it if he does not change his ways. He is visited by three ghosts that will cause him to change his ways. He sees his past, present, and future and decides to get into the Christmas spirit.

This story is timeless as a movie and a book. Every Christmas my family watches the movie. I believe that this poetry was written to show what the Christmas spirit is about. I personally love the spirit of Christmas and what it stands for.

Classroom Extension 1: I would ask the students to journal about what Christmas means to them and draw a picture that corresponds.

Classroom Extension 2: As a class we would discuss the pros and cons of the main character. We would make a chart on the board to show the data we had formed. ( )
  AngieOliviaDodd | Apr 17, 2016 |
try to read it every year - short and sweet !
  frahealee | Apr 3, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge’s name was good upon ’Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.
"God bless us, every one!" said Tiny Tim, the last of all.
"Bah!" said Scrooge. "Humbug!"
Marley was dead: to begin with.
If you should happen, by any unlikely chance, to know a man more blest in a laugh than Scrooge's nephew, all I can say is I should like to know him too.
This work contains various editions of the unabridged book "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. Please do not combine it with adaptations or abridgments, or with collections that contain additional works.
I am assuming (without any evidence!) that the Puffin children's edition is an adaptation: if you know that it is NOT, please combine with the main work, otherwise leave it be.
Specially edited for reading aloud before an audience.
ISBN 1568461828 is not a DK Eyewitness Classics edition.
ISBN 1580495796 is "Unabridged with glossary and reader's notes." "This Prestwick House edition, is an unabridged republication of A Christmas Carol, published by George Routledge and Sons, London."
Filled with description, Charles Dickens writes about the struggles of a poor family and the despicable Ebenezer Scrooge. Scrooge is a ruthless man who only cares about himself and money. Scrooge's entire character is changed on the night of Christmas Eve when is is visited by three ghosts as he relives parts of his past and his future in order to see what has and would become of him if he does not make a dramatic change in his life. I absolutely love this story and all that it entails. It is somewhat towards the bottom of my list though because some of the description can become a bit daunting as you read this novel.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0486268659, Paperback)

In the history of English literature, Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol, which has been continuously in print since it was first published in the winter of 1843, stands out as the quintessential Christmas story. What makes this charming edition of Dickens's immortal tale so special is the collection of 80 vivid illustrations by Everett Shinn (1876-1953). Shinn, a well-known artist in his time, was a popular illustrator of newspapers and magazines whose work displayed a remarkable affinity for the stories of Charles Dickens, evoking the bustling street life of the mid-1800s. Printed on heavy, cream-colored paper stock, the edges of the pages have been left rough, simulating the way in which the story might have appeared in Dickens's own time. Though countless editions of this classic have been published over the years, this one stands out as particularly beautiful, nostalgic, and evocative of the spirit of Christmas.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:58 -0400)

Una grabacion completa por un elenco de artistas, en espa ol, de la obra clasica de Charles Dickens Un Cuento de Navidad (A Christmas Carol). Se le da la oportunidad a un hombre llamado Scrooge de cambiar un destino maldito por ser tomado en un viaje a traves del tiempo por los fantasmas de las Navidades pasadas, presentes, y futuras.… (more)

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014132452X, 014119474X, 0141389478

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438863, 1909438871

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,852,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible