The Apple: New Crimson Petal Stories by…

The Apple: New Crimson Petal Stories (2006)

by Michel Faber

The Crimson Petal and the White is one of the best-loved novels of recent years. Now a major BBC TV drama, it captured hearts and left readers desperate for more. InThe Apple, Faber returns to Silver Street to find it still teeming with life, and conjures further tantalising glimpses of Sugar, Clara, Mr Bodley and many other favourites.… (more)

English (32)  Dutch (3)  All languages (35)
''Snow continues to whirl through the sky, the windowpanes rattle and creak, but still those damned partridges and turtledoves proliferate. Passerby must be tossing coins to this bawling nuisance; better they should throw stones.''

The Crimson Petal and the White is a novel that has acquired a modern classic status. Faber depicted the hypocrisy of the London upper class, the misery of the children and the women who were left destitute and unprotected, the dark side of a metropolis through the eyes of one of the most fascinating heroines to ever grace the pages of a book. Sugar.

Faber writes like a contemporary Dickens, freed from censorship, and strikes at the very heart of the story. However, The Crimson Petal and the White was one of the first novels that made me turn the book upside down in a serious moment of denial of the ending. The Apple is a collection of stories with the POVs of the characters that led us in the dark underbelly of London. Be warned, though. you won't find the answers you may be looking for but you will find yourselves in the world of Sugar and enjoy the superb writing style of Faber once more.

Christmas in Silver Street: It's Christmas Day and Sugar is walking London's streets, observing and purchasing. Young Christopher has never understood what Christmas is all about and our favourite night butterfly is wondering on the ''modern'' Christmas customs that are slowly taking over London. Michel Fabel makes everything feel like Christmas, even in the middle of August.

Clara and the Rat Man: Clara...This story is twisted and violent but also terribly sad. The underground London, the prostitution, the dog fights and the traumas of the returning soldiers.

Chocolate Hearts From the New World: Dr. Curlew's determined daughter is fighting to convince the landlords in the USA to abolish slavery. It doesn't hurt to find a love match in the process.

The Fly, and Its Effects Upon Mr Bodley: A ridiculous man experiences an existential crisis prompted by an equally ridiculous incident. Faber exposes the stupidity of the men who seek pleasure in a brothel in all its despicable pseudo-philosophy.

The Apple: Sugar contemplates on the nature of the novels of the time, dreams of writing her own version of the modern woman of the late 19th century and tries to defend an innocent child. Obviously, the story takes place before the events of the novel.

Medicine: William Rackham reminisces over his relationship with Sugar 15 years after the events of the novel. He still fails to see how much of a scum he actually is.

A Mighty Horde of Women In Very Big Hats, Advancing: Small wonder that the sole boring story in the collection has Sophie and her son as its main characters...

Two things you need to know, in my opinion. Firstly, it is highly advisable to have read The Crimson Petal and the White prior to reading this collection and secondly, you definitely don't want to miss this if you are a Faber admirer.
''It is almost time to open your eyes; the twenty- first century is waiting for you, and you've been among prostitutes and strange children for too long.''
My reviews can also be found on https://theopinionatedreaderblog.wordpress.com/ ( )
  AmaliaGavea | Aug 26, 2019 |
This little collection offers a glimpse into the histories and futures of some of the characters from the brilliant The Crimson Petal and the White. It answers some questions about the novel's ending, but not fully, to retain that air of mystery.

Faber's writing is on point as usual, but I could easily have gobbled up a collection twice the size of this one! I'd love a follow-up to this particular follow-up... ( )
  mooingzelda | Dec 12, 2018 |
Not bad, just nothing of interest for me here. Phillip Pullman already did all the Victorian re-imagining I need to read. Not to mention John Fowles. ( )
1 vote CSRodgers | Feb 17, 2016 |
Having recently finished reading Crimson Petal, I couldn't wait to read the follow up short stories in The Apple and I wasn't disappointed!

Just a handful of stories sees us re-visiting Sugar in her life pre-Crimson, Clara, Mr Bodley, William and, indirectly, Sophie all post-Crimson. So good to see what had become of them and interesting to see if they matched my own hopes and perceptions (largely they did!). My only detraction from the book was that I wanted more. After the weighty tome that was Crimson Petal, this was lightweight and I read it in less than a day (part during the evening, the rest on the train to work the next day). Hugely enjoyable, but left me wanting more.

Will now have to dig out more of Michel Faber's writing to see whether his other work lives up to these two books. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I only just discovered Faber's follow up of sorts to The Crimson Petal and the White, years after I finished the original book. After reading the former, and left wanting more, I was thrilled to discover The Apple, but a little disappointed by it's novella-length.

The Apple is a compilation of short stories, which serve as either prologues or epilogues to some of the characters in The Crimson Petal and the White. The stories are just as fantastic and engaging as the first one was, but aside from the story of Sophie's son, very short. They're less story, and more glimpses- though this is something Faber does best; making you feel a bit like a voyeur, just chancing upon the daily going-ons of strangers.

It's this style of writing that left a lot of unanswered questions and what if's with the novel; The Apple does follow up with some of them, but still leaves a lot of questions unanswered and a lot of open road, should Faber ever decide to return to these characters (a girl can dream).

If you didn't read The Crimson Petal, The Apple might seem disjointed- but most short story collections are so. If you read The Crimson Petal and liked it- or read it and didn't really know if you liked it, but still made it through the whole thing- you owe it to yourself to read The Apple. It won't consume nearly as much time (to my dismay), but might provide some closure. ( )
  SparrowByTheRailStar | Oct 21, 2013 |
My thanks, as always, to Eva.
Close your eyes.

Canongate Books

2 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1841959804, 0857860852

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,821,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible