The Letters of the Younger Pliny (Penguin…

The Letters of the Younger Pliny (Penguin Classics) (edition 1963)

by Pliny the Younger, Betty Radice (Translator), Betty Radice (Introduction)

In these letters to his friends and relations, Pliny the Younger, lawyer, author, and natural philosopher, provides a fascinating insight into Roman life in the period 97 to 112 AD. Part autobiography, part social history, they document the career and interests of a senator and leading imperial official whose friends include the historians Tacitus and Suetonius. Pliny's letters cover a wide range of topics, from the contemporary political scene to domestic affairs, the educational system, the rituals and conduct of Roman religion, the treatment of slaves, and the phenomena of nature. He describes in vivid detail the eruption of Vesuvius, which killed his uncle, and the daily routines of a well-to-do Roman in the courts and at leisure, in the city, or enjoying rural pursuits at his country estates. This is a lively new translation by eminent scholar Peter Walsh, based on the Oxford Classical Text and drawing on the latest scholarship. In his introduction, Walsh considers the political background of the letters, the span of Pliny's career, the range of topics covered in the letters, and Pliny's literary style. Invaluable notes identify the letters' recipients and explain allusions to historical events and terms. A general index is supplemented by two specific indexes on aspects of social life and Pliny's correspondents. This classic will make great reading for those with an interest in classical literature and ancient history. About the Series: For over 100 years Oxford World's Classics has made available the broadest spectrum of literature from around the globe. Each affordable volume reflects Oxford's commitment to scholarship, providing the most accurate text plus a wealth of other valuable features, including expert introductions by leading authorities, voluminous notes to clarify the text, up-to-date bibliographies for further study, and much more.… (more)
Member:jamesshelley
Title:The Letters of the Younger Pliny (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Pliny the Younger
Other authors:Betty Radice (Translator), Betty Radice (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (1963), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Someday (inactive)

The Letters by Gaius Plinius Caecilius Secundus (Author)

English (9)  Spanish (2)  All languages (11)
[From “Books of the Year”, Sunday Times, 25 December 1955; reprinted in A Traveller in Romance, ed. John Whitehead, Clarkson N. Potter, 1984, p. 123:]

The third book I wish to speak about I came upon entirely by accident. I have some three thousand books in my house and now and then, looking at the serried shelves, I realise that I haven’t one I want to read. On one such occasion I caught sight of The Letters of Pliny the Younger (Loeb Library. 2 vols. Heinemann). I had bought my edition sixty years ago, when I was trying to make acquaintance with Latin literature, but had never read it. For want of anything more tempting, I took it from its shelf and began to read. I found it entrancing. I hasten to add that I read it in the admirable translation which accompanied the Latin text.

Pliny was a Roman gentleman of wealth who flourished during the reign of the Emperor Trajan. He had been governor of a province, but had retired to live on his estates and went to Rome only when duty called. He was house-proud, and his description of a house he had built, with its swimming pool and central heating, is very engaging. He was addicted to writing indifferent verse, which he was overproud to read to his friends. He was very generous, but well aware that his generosity was praiseworthy, and always ready to oblige a friend. He was vain in a childish and rather charming way. The more you read his letters the more you feel at home with him.

He was in fact very like one of those cultured English noblemen of the nineteenth century who, after years in the public service, spent their declining years on their ancestral estates and went up to London only when they felt it incumbent on them to oppose some amendment in the House of Lords. Some of them, too, published now and again a slim volume of light verse.

The Letters of Pliny the Younger can be read with pleasure without any classical learning and with only the most elementary knowledge of Roman history. They make a most enjoyable bedside book.
  WSMaugham | Dec 10, 2016 |
As an official in the Roman government, Pliny wrote on numerous things. His complaint about Christians is worth reading as is Trajan's response. Shows the routine of government. He had accompanied Pliny the Elder to watch Vesuvius erupt, but had survived. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
The worldview and observations of a wise and very observant Roman magistrate.
  Fledgist | Feb 12, 2013 |
Edition: // Descr: xvi, 552 p. 17 cm. // Series: The Loeb Classical Library Call No. { 876 P71-L vol I. } Series Edited by T.E. Page With an English Translation by William Melmoth Contains Latin and English Versions, Biographical Index, Index Siglorum, and Index of Names and Places Volume I. // //
  ColgateClassics | Oct 26, 2012 |
Edition: // Descr: v, 450 p. 17 cm. // Series: The Loeb Classical Library Call No. { 876 P71-L vol II. } Series Edited by T.E. Page With an English Translation by William Melmoth Contains Latin and English Versions, Biographical Index, Index Siglorum, and Index of Names and Places Volume II. // //
  ColgateClassics | Oct 26, 2012 |

Plinius Caecilius Secundus, GaiusAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baar, Marry vanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bacardzieva, NicolinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hutchinson, W. M. L.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Melmoth, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Radice, BettyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Todoranova, VasilenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walsh, P. G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plinius' Briefe sind halbierte Dialoge.
This is the letters of Pliny the Younger in translation. Do not combine with Latin texts of Pliny's letters.

Collections of letters written by Pliny the Younger.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,623,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible