Walking in Circles Before Lying Down: A…

Walking in Circles Before Lying Down: A Novel (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Merrill Markoe

4312624,472 (3.4)1 / 24
Member:alynnk
Title:Walking in Circles Before Lying Down: A Novel
Authors:Merrill Markoe
Info:Villard (2007), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:@read: own, February, 2009, dogs

Walking in Circles Before Lying Down by Merrill Markoe (2006)

Recently added byprivate library, Necronian, qaphsiel, patsaintsfan, MFlemming, Marlin.Library, ejeon, lizatclif

I read this right after Speaker For The Dead by Orson Scott Card, so I was definitely up for something lighter, and for a short while my mood and the humor of the book carried me along quite nicely.

Then the characters started to get on my nerves. The protagonist is a whiny doormat. If she ever fully came to her senses she'd leave her self-deluded, pushy sister; her ego-centric mother; and on and off opportunistic boyfriend in a second. Instead we have to suffer through waiting for the boyfriend to leave her, her mother's get rich scheme to bear fruit, and her sister to become famous enough to lose interest. Yes, this book is just a tad short on character development.

In a nutshell, it's a sitcom put to paper, so one shouldn't expect much character development. Still, it's one thing to half-watch 20 minutes (taking out the commercials) of something as insipid as Friends, but quite another to have to devote my attention to a 270 page book of the same.

Still, it was rather funny in places, and that earns it two stars instead of one.
  qaphsiel | May 11, 2014 |

qaphsiel | May 11, 2014 |
Way too weird for me.... ( )
  Goldberrygal | Jun 1, 2011 |
amusing little book about a woman with horrible taste in men learning to cope with life from the mouth of her dog, Chuck. Dawn Tarnauerhas two short marriages under her belt and is trying to find and keep #3. Her mother is trying out her new get-rich-quick-scheme with a not too honest new man in her life and her flighty sister,Halley, has become a Life Coach simply because she can't do anything else.
Chuck is her new dog who has neuroses of his own,especially his belief that Dawn loved her first dead dog more than him. The difference is Chuck doesn't suffer in silence. he tells Dawn exactly what he thinks and seems utterlt bewildered by human ways.
A touching portrait of the bond between man and dog filled with humor and zany characters. A thoroughly enjoyable quick read. You will delight in this author's writing. ( )
  elliezann | Aug 19, 2010 |
This was a mildly amusing tale (ha!)but full of a little too much angst in the character of Dawn for my tastes. But it was fine to read when recovering from the flu and wanting something light. I've often wondered what dogs were thinking, because I'm sure it's more than the classic cartoon that has parts of the brain outlines as sleep. roll over, hump leg, fetch, etc. A good dog is hard to find and Dawn was blessed with two, one of which she was smart enough to listen to. ( )
  bookczuk | Mar 23, 2010 |
For Lewis
I think one of the things that makes me unique is that as far back as I can remember, I have always talked to a lot of things besides people.
. . . If you live your life basing your opinions on someone on other people's complaints, you'd soon find yourself with no members of the human race to love.
Maybe that was why God didn't like us, I thought. He was sick to death after a million years of listening to a billion souls whine about one another. Maybe even He didn't know how to believe.

Dawn Tarnauer’s life isn’t exactly a success story. Already twice divorced, the young Californian is too busy job-hopping to start a career, her current boyfriend insists on living “off the grid,” her Life Coach sister perpetually interferes with incomprehensible affirmations, her eccentric mother is busy promoting the culmination of her life’s work: The Every Holiday Tree, and her father is ending his brief third marriage while scheduling two dates for the same night.

Dawn’s only source of security and comfort, it seems, is Chuck, a pit-bull mix from the pound. So, when her boyfriend announces that he’s leaving her for another woman, a despairing Dawn turns to Chuck for solace.
“I should have said something sooner,” Chuck confides, as he tries to console her. “Couldn’t you smell her on his pants?” Dawn is stunned. It’s one thing to talk to your pets, but what do you do when they start talking back? It’s not just Chuck, either; she can hear all dogs–and man’s best friend has a lot to say. The ever-enthusiastic Chuck offers his tried-and-true advice on the merits of knocking over garbage and strewing it everywhere, auxiliary competitive peeing etiquette, and the curative powers of tossing a ball. Doubtful of her own sanity, Dawn considers that, in the ways of life and love, it might be better to trust Chuck’s doggie instincts instead of her own.

Filled with sharp wit, biting humor, and canine conversation that would make Doctor Dolittle’s jaw drop, Merrill Markoe’s engaging, cleverly written novel is about the confusing search for love and the divine acts of dog.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:28 -0400)

With her life rapidly falling apart in the wake of two divorces and her boyfriend dumping her, Dawn discovers that Chuck, a mixed-breed dog she had adopted from a local animal shelter, can talk and that he may have some solutions to her problems.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,286,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible