Malice at the Palace (A Royal Spyness…

Malice at the Palace (A Royal Spyness Mystery) (edition 2015)

by Rhys Bowen (Author)

Member:Jaylia3
Title:Malice at the Palace (A Royal Spyness Mystery)
Authors:Rhys Bowen (Author)
Info:Berkley (2015), 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:series

Malice at the Palace by Rhys Bowen

Lady Georgiana has been asked by her cousin, the Queen, to move into Kensington Palace for a few months to be a companion to the future bride of the Queen's youngest, a deposed Grecian princess. George sowed his oats without discrimination before agreeing to marry, so half of Lady Georgiana's job is making sure the stories of his illicit affairs do not reach the ears of the bride to be. This task is made harder by Lady Georgiana's discovery the first night of the dead body of one of George's ex-lovers.

I love this series; I love Lady Georgiana and Darcy. Malice at the Palace was no exception, although I'll admit it dragged a bit until Darcy was back on the scene. Rhys Bowen knows how to weave a plot and send readers' imaginations off on wild goose chases (geese chase?). While the series is the very epitome of cozy, the author doesn't shy away from the less cozy issues of the time: homosexuality, drug use/abuse, out of wedlock pregnancy, extra-marital affairs - they're all woven into the fabric of the series, giving it gravitas without the gritty atmosphere.

The light dawned on the perpetrator somewhat early for me, but I enjoyed every word nonetheless. The ending was fanciful but hugely fun and the last page of the book, that last line of text, has me positively in suspense for the next one (please Ms. Bowen: don't let it be a red-herring!!!). ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 20, 2016 |
Her Royal Spyness It's Rhys Bowen need I say more? Everything she writes is great! I'm very happy with the turn of events at the end. If you're a fan of the series you don't want to miss this one. : ) ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Lady Georgiana is charged with guiding impending bride, Princess Marina of Greece, through the joys and pitfalls of London's High Society. Quite unexpectedly, drug abuse and murder are found, literally, at the door of Kensington Palace or The Aunt Heap as it is called by the Prince of Wales. Life among the Royals in the 30s takes a serious turn as the author addresses the excesses, sexual and otherwise, with their consequences for those in line for England's Throne. Georgie dines with her great aunts, stumbles over Darcy but wins through. Lively entry in this fun series. ( )
  jamespurcell | Feb 24, 2016 |
Lady Georgiana, Great-granddaughter to Queen Victoria & 34th in line to the crown, has been staying in her friend Belinda's flat, when Belinda & a very prominent member of the HOL show up for a romp! Surprising them (as Belinda doesn't remember her being there) Georgie leaves the next day.

While walking around Grosvenor Square, Georgie runs into her Brother Binky, who invites her to share the family town-home, much to the displeasure of her sister-in-law Fig. Much more to Fig's disdain is the fact that Georgie is invited by Queen Mary to stay at Kensington Palace, the "Aunt Heap". and be companion to Princess Marina of Greece prior to her wedding to Prince George.

After returning to Kensington late one night, Georgie sees a green glow of one of the palace's haunts, beneath the glow she finds the body of society floozy, Bobo Carrington, well known as the Girl w/ the Silver Syringe.

Not only must Georgie find out who killed Bob & why, but she must protect the Prince's private life from his future bride.

Except for Georgie's maid, Queenie and their relationship, I liked the story... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
A little overdone. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |

Rhys Bowenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frangie, RitaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattos, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Karen Mayers,
with thanks for her friendship, her support of authors like me, and her fantastic Giants ticket! Love that seat behind home plate.
Weather outside: Utterly bloody!

From the New York Times betselling author of Queen of Hearts comes another mystery for "fans of P.G. Wodehouse looking for laughs mingled with some amateur sleuthing." (Publishers Weekly)

Lady Georgiana Rannoch won’t deny that being thirty-fifth in line for the British throne has its advantages. Unfortunately, money isn’t one of them. And sometimes making ends meet requires her to investigate a little royal wrongdoing.

While my beau Darcy is off on a mysterious mission, I am once again caught between my high birth and empty purse. I am therefore relieved to receive a new assignment from the Queen—especially one that includes lodging. The King’s youngest son, George, is to wed Princess Marina of Greece, and I shall be her companion at the supposedly haunted Kensington Palace.

My duties are simple: help Marina acclimate to English life, show her the best of London and, above all, dispel any rumors about George’s libertine history. Perhaps that last bit isn’t so simple.

George is known for his many affairs with women as well as men—including the great songwriter Noel Coward. But things truly get complicated when I search the Palace for a supposed ghost only to encounter an actual dead person: a society beauty said to have been one of Prince George’s mistresses.

Nothing spoils a royal wedding more than murder, and the Queen wants the whole matter hushed. But as the investigation unfolds—and Darcy, as always, turns up in the most unlikely of places—the investigation brings us precariously close to the prince himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:45 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,406,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible