Mayday! by Clive. Cussler

Info:CAHILL. (2004), Hardcover
Rating:**
Tags:fiction

The Mediterranean Caper by Clive Cussler

English (17)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (19)
The Mediterranean Caper - Clive Cussler ****

I'm relatively new to Clive Cussler, but decided to read his books as there seemed to be a fair similarity to Ian Fleming and Jack Higgins. This is my second book by the author, and it definitely will not' be my last. This was also published under the title 'Mayday'.

What is it about?

Although this is the first published book in the Dirk Pitt adventure series, it was actually the second written (Pacific Vortex being the first). The novel opens with a WW 1 plane attacking an American base on the Greek island of Theros. The conning tower issues a mayday warning requesting immediate assistance; luckily Dirk is flying nearby and answers the call of distress. Although successful in stopping the assault it is not without cost and he has to land for repairs at the same base. Kirks original destination is 'The First Attempt' a marine research vessel anchored just off shore from where the attack took place. Unfortunately they have also been having issues with some accidents that have hindered their research in trying to find a fish that is believed to have been extinct for millions of years. Is there any connection between the unexpected visitor and the constants mishaps? Can Pitt use his wits to figure out the reason for the plane’s actions? And who is the mysterious German millionaire Von Till?

What did I like?
Action books have always been my favourite genre, and picking up a Cussler book seems to be the next logical step after exhausting practically all of Jack Higgins catalogue. The book is full of action and the pages just seem to melt away. Dirk Pitt is a typical man’s man, strong, womanising, hard drinking, and even harder hitting. This is a man that gets shot in the leg and looks down as if an ant has nipped him and carries on with the task at hand. The plot is totally unrealistic, but that just adds to the charm (escapism at its finest). Some readers may be put off by the apparent sexism, but I think you have to read it within the context of the era it was written (1973) and the subject matter involved, for me it just adds to the atmosphere and cements Pitt as a Bond like character. The book seems very well researched and Cussler’s enthusiasm for technology and science really does start to shine through.

What didn’t I like?
The only thing I can put my finger on, and the reason for the 4 stars instead of five, was the ending. Although not written in the first person, the majority of the book features Pitt and his surroundings, because of this were are allowed to see and feel most things as they happen. The ending seemed to just disregard this and in order to tie up the loose ends it added to previous scenes, for example if Pitt sent a telegram earlier in the novel and received a reply, the reply was kept secret until now, when surely we should have found out the same time as him.

Would I recommend?
Definitely. Although from reading other reviews it seems that this is one of the weaker Dirk Pitt novels, I always find it best to start at the beginning of a series rather than midway. If you like the ‘Boys own’ style of adventure then give it a try. Cussler is unlikely to win the Nobel literature prize, but if you take his books at face value, I’m sure you will have a good time. ( )
  Bridgey | Apr 2, 2015 |
0n the remote Greek Island of Thasos, a German Albatros, a vintage World War I fighter plane, has swooped out of the blazing blue sky to attack a modern U.S. Air Force base, nearly destroying its fleet of F-105 Starfire jets. Thirty miles offshore, piloting a Catalina en route to the American scientific research vessel First Attempt, Dirk Pitt hears and responds to the Brady Field emergency call. He blows the Albatros back into the oblivion from which it came, ripping open a mammoth half-century-old conspiracy in the process.

Dirk Pitt is back as is Jordino, and they're still great together with their banter and camaraderie. Still a little on edge a year after all that happened in The Pacific Vortex, Dirk is moving forward with his life. Now in the Aegean, he's trying to help find a mysterious fish. After a crazy attack, he meets a seductively beautiful Teri who invites him for dinner. Everything goes downhill from there until the fast paced action takes you to a fast paced ending.

I do have a few drawbacks with the character Dirk, and that this story is almost a twin to the first. I still like the dialogue, the mystery, and the fact that it's a light, no-brainer read. But Dirk is highly sexist, and doesn't have any qualms about airing his low opinion of women at every possible turn. I'm not overly offended in the least, but it does make his character more unlikeable which is probably why I'm always happy when Jordino is around to make the dialogue more fun. ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
Dirk Pitt is one of my favorite characters in the world of books and he's making his debut in this ( )
  Tutter | Feb 26, 2015 |
Not nearly as involving and well thought out as Cussler's later books... And the sexism is incredibly obvious! Not one I would reread. ( )
  kerrikins | Sep 25, 2013 |
Review Chicago Tribune Cussler has developed and patented a vibrant, rollicking narrative style that seldom shows signs of relenting. -- Review Product Description Dirk Pitt rides a tidal wave of intrigue in this classic Cussler. On an isolated Greek island, a World War I fighter plane attacks a modern U.S. Air Force base--a mysterious saboteur preys on an American scientific expedition--and Dirk Pitt plays a deadly game of hunter and hunted with the elusive head of an international smuggling ring. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
To Amy and Eric,

long may they wave.
It was oven hot, and it was Sunday.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425197395, Mass Market Paperback)

Dirk Pitt rides a tidal wave of intrigue in this classic Cussler.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:51 -0400)

On an isolated Greek island, a World War I fighter plane attacks a modern U.S. Air Force base; a mysterious saboteur preys on an American scientific expedition; and Dirk Pitt plays a deadly game of hunter and hunted with the elusive head of an international smuggling ring. Reissue.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,829,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible