Mayday! by Clive. Cussler

Info:CAHILL. (2004), Hardcover
Rating:**
Tags:fiction

The Mediterranean Caper by Clive Cussler

Recently added byprivate library, lalachan, Bisneau, fabio1969, jonathan21, eliseph, dimndbk
1st (6) 20th century (4) action (21) action/adventure (19) adventure (107) adventure fiction (6) Clive Cussler (10) Cussler (18) Dirk Pitt (98) dj (4) ebook (11) fiction (133) Greece (5) Kindle (4) MO (4) mystery (30) nautical (7) novel (7) NUMA (21) own (7) paperback (16) pb (10) read (20) series (5) signed (9) suspense (20) Suspense/Thriller (4) thriller (67) to-read (6) underwater (4)

English (14)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (16)
Not nearly as involving and well thought out as Cussler's later books... And the sexism is incredibly obvious! Not one I would reread. ( )
  kerrikins | Sep 25, 2013 |
Review Chicago Tribune Cussler has developed and patented a vibrant, rollicking narrative style that seldom shows signs of relenting. -- Review Product Description Dirk Pitt rides a tidal wave of intrigue in this classic Cussler. On an isolated Greek island, a World War I fighter plane attacks a modern U.S. Air Force base--a mysterious saboteur preys on an American scientific expedition--and Dirk Pitt plays a deadly game of hunter and hunted with the elusive head of an international smuggling ring. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
After having read quite a few Cussler novels, this one felt like a trip back in time. It's easy to see how his style has grown and changed over time, while his base instinct has stayed the same. ( )
  davevanl | Jun 26, 2012 |
Clive Cussler's Mediterranean Caper is the first Cussler book I picked up to read and I enjoyed it. This is not the first Dirk Pitt story, but it was the first published. Dirk Pitt is a Major transferred from the Air Force to the National Underwater Marine Agency (NUMA). On paper he is the Surface Security Officer. In reality, when an oceanic research project has trouble, Pitt flies in, figures out the problem, fixes it and gets the project back on track.

In Mediterranean Caper, the First Attempt research vessel is in the Aegean Sea looking for a missing link fish. Some unusual accidents take place; Dirk Pitt swoops in for the rescue to run into an apparent ghost plane. While sorting out the problems with the research project and an explanation for the ghost plane, Pitt runs into a drug smuggling scheme, undercover agents, and a traitor. I am no expert when it comes to the Air Force or anything military for that matter, so I have no idea about plausibility. For me it was an exciting story filled with twists and turns.

The point of view did bounce around a bit, but I did not have trouble following it. Cussler does a good job introducing characters, so I had no trouble keeping track of everybody. I will warn you that Dirk Pitt is very James Bond-esque. In fact the whole story has that feel to it, but since I'm a fan of James Bond, it works. All in all, a fun, entertaining read and I will be looking for another Clive Cussler/Dirk Pitt adventure to read. ( )
  jennyrosewriter | Jan 21, 2011 |
This is the first Clive Cussler book that I have read even though my husband has seven or eight of them on the shelf. I found the book entertaining and easy to read. Even though the plot was fairly predictable, it was fast paced and enjoyable. This is a great book to stash in your purse to read on a vacation where you might get a few moments of down time. ( )
  kimberlycox27 | Jun 22, 2010 |
To Amy and Eric,

long may they wave.
It was oven hot, and it was Sunday.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425197395, Mass Market Paperback)

Dirk Pitt rides a tidal wave of intrigue in this classic Cussler.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:51 -0400)

On an isolated Greek island, a World War I fighter plane attacks a modern U.S. Air Force base; a mysterious saboteur preys on an American scientific expedition; and Dirk Pitt plays a deadly game of hunter and hunted with the elusive head of an international smuggling ring. Reissue.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible