Mayday! by Clive. Cussler

Info:CAHILL. (2004), Hardcover
Rating:**
Tags:fiction

The Mediterranean Caper by Clive Cussler

English (15)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (17)
0n the remote Greek Island of Thasos, a German Albatros, a vintage World War I fighter plane, has swooped out of the blazing blue sky to attack a modern U.S. Air Force base, nearly destroying its fleet of F-105 Starfire jets. Thirty miles offshore, piloting a Catalina en route to the American scientific research vessel First Attempt, Dirk Pitt hears and responds to the Brady Field emergency call. He blows the Albatros back into the oblivion from which it came, ripping open a mammoth half-century-old conspiracy in the process.

Dirk Pitt is back as is Jordino, and they're still great together with their banter and camaraderie. Still a little on edge a year after all that happened in The Pacific Vortex, Dirk is moving forward with his life. Now in the Aegean, he's trying to help find a mysterious fish. After a crazy attack, he meets a seductively beautiful Teri who invites him for dinner. Everything goes downhill from there until the fast paced action takes you to a fast paced ending.

I do have a few drawbacks with the character Dirk, and that this story is almost a twin to the first. I still like the dialogue, the mystery, and the fact that it's a light, no-brainer read. But Dirk is highly sexist, and doesn't have any qualms about airing his low opinion of women at every possible turn. I'm not overly offended in the least, but it does make his character more unlikeable which is probably why I'm always happy when Jordino is around to make the dialogue more fun. ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
Not nearly as involving and well thought out as Cussler's later books... And the sexism is incredibly obvious! Not one I would reread. ( )
  kerrikins | Sep 25, 2013 |
Review Chicago Tribune Cussler has developed and patented a vibrant, rollicking narrative style that seldom shows signs of relenting. -- Review Product Description Dirk Pitt rides a tidal wave of intrigue in this classic Cussler. On an isolated Greek island, a World War I fighter plane attacks a modern U.S. Air Force base--a mysterious saboteur preys on an American scientific expedition--and Dirk Pitt plays a deadly game of hunter and hunted with the elusive head of an international smuggling ring. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
After having read quite a few Cussler novels, this one felt like a trip back in time. It's easy to see how his style has grown and changed over time, while his base instinct has stayed the same. ( )
  davevanl | Jun 26, 2012 |
Clive Cussler's Mediterranean Caper is the first Cussler book I picked up to read and I enjoyed it. This is not the first Dirk Pitt story, but it was the first published. Dirk Pitt is a Major transferred from the Air Force to the National Underwater Marine Agency (NUMA). On paper he is the Surface Security Officer. In reality, when an oceanic research project has trouble, Pitt flies in, figures out the problem, fixes it and gets the project back on track.

In Mediterranean Caper, the First Attempt research vessel is in the Aegean Sea looking for a missing link fish. Some unusual accidents take place; Dirk Pitt swoops in for the rescue to run into an apparent ghost plane. While sorting out the problems with the research project and an explanation for the ghost plane, Pitt runs into a drug smuggling scheme, undercover agents, and a traitor. I am no expert when it comes to the Air Force or anything military for that matter, so I have no idea about plausibility. For me it was an exciting story filled with twists and turns.

The point of view did bounce around a bit, but I did not have trouble following it. Cussler does a good job introducing characters, so I had no trouble keeping track of everybody. I will warn you that Dirk Pitt is very James Bond-esque. In fact the whole story has that feel to it, but since I'm a fan of James Bond, it works. All in all, a fun, entertaining read and I will be looking for another Clive Cussler/Dirk Pitt adventure to read. ( )
  jennyrosewriter | Jan 21, 2011 |
To Amy and Eric,

long may they wave.
It was oven hot, and it was Sunday.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425197395, Mass Market Paperback)

Dirk Pitt rides a tidal wave of intrigue in this classic Cussler.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:51 -0400)

On an isolated Greek island, a World War I fighter plane attacks a modern U.S. Air Force base; a mysterious saboteur preys on an American scientific expedition; and Dirk Pitt plays a deadly game of hunter and hunted with the elusive head of an international smuggling ring. Reissue.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,245,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible