Etched in Bone (2017)

by Anne Bishop

Series: The Others (5)

"New York Times bestselling author Anne Bishop returns to her world of the Others, as humans struggle to survive in the shadow of shapeshifters and vampires far more powerful than themselves... After a human uprising was brutally put down by the Elders--a primitive and lethal form of the Others--the few cities left under human control are far-flung. And the people within them now know to fear the no-man's-land beyond their borders--and the darkness... As some communities struggle to rebuild, Lakeside Courtyard has emerged relatively unscathed, though Simon Wolfgard, its wolf shifter leader, and blood prophet Meg Corbyn must work with the human pack to maintain the fragile peace. But all their efforts are threatened when Lieutenant Montgomery's shady brother arrives, looking for a free ride and easy pickings. With the humans on guard against one of their own, tensions rise, drawing the attention of the Elders, who are curious about the effect such an insignificant predator can have on a pack. But Meg knows the dangers, for she has seen in the cards how it will all end--with her standing beside a grave.."--… (more)
Recently added byCallsigntinks, lillyshea, Arina40, private library

English (26)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
It has been proven time and again how much trouble one bad person can cause for an entire community and just how easily that trouble can get out of hand if it's not caught in time. Etched in Bone, the final book in The Others series by Anne Bishop, uses this idea as its main plot line. Communities that survived the Namid's teeth and claws are starting to rebuild. Through the efforts of Simon and Meg Lakeside Courtyard weathered the storm better than most and has managed to keep the peace between humans and Others in their small town. That fragile balance is threatened when Lieutenant Montgomery's shady brother arrives in town looking for a free ride and the Elders are curious about the effect one seemingly insignificant predator can have on a pack.

This series has become one of my favorites. I never imagined paranormal slice of life stories where humans are in constant fear of getting eaten could feel so cozy. I absolutely love these characters and this world. Twyla and Skippy stole the show for me and pulled on my heartstrings with one of the best scenes written about a youngster with disabilities that I've ever read. Monty's brother Jimmy is absolutely horrid and I couldn't wait for his comeuppance. Each of the characters have grown so much over the course of five books that they all have a place in my heart. This series is going into my reread list.

Meg and Simon's love story was wonderful. It has been the longest slow burn, understated romance and I loved every minute of it. If you are someone who enjoys a hot and steamy romance, you're going to be disappointed. For me the slow burn felt right for these characters.

This was a solid ending to the series. I'm going to miss these characters. Hopefully Ms. Bishop returns to write more about our Lakeside Courtyard someday. Or at least a short story about Skippy. I need to know now Skippy is doing! ( )
  Narilka | Jul 18, 2020 |
I really enjoy this series and the fifth installment did not disappoint. However, do not listen to the audiobook if can avoid it, it does a great disservice to a well-written story. ( )
  buleth | Jul 9, 2020 |
The latest in The Others series has the Courtyard secretly hosting the Elders as they observe the humans that live there. A known troublemaker moves in and is being allowed to stay only because he is related to Lt. Montgomery. His family knows he causes strife and is always looking for the easy way to slide through life. But the Elders want to see what happens. There is progression with Sam and Meg. For the most part this felt more like a book of smaller stories and things happening to lots of people to set up future stories set in this universe. Over all I enjoyed it but I certainly wouldn’t recommend starting here at all in the series.

Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |
Listened to fabulous narration in audio by Alexandra Harris. Continue story of life at the Courtyard, as the Elders decide how much human they should keep. Funny and scary moments.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
What can I say? I love this series!! One of my absolute favorites. I'd recommend it to anyone. Anyone. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |

Jennifer Jackson

And for
Ruth 'The Ruthie' Stuart
You will be remembered.
As they gathered in the wild country between Tala and Etu, two of the Great Lakes, their footsteps filled the land with a terrible silence. (Prologue)
Eager to join his friends for an early morning run, Simon Wolfgard, leader of the Lakeside Courtyard, hurried toward the terra indigene Wolves who were using trees and shrubs for camouflage as they watched the paved road that looped the Courtyard. (Chapter 1)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,695,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible