A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote

A Christmas Memory (1956)

by Truman Capote

5391918,630 (4.3)75

English (17)  Spanish (1)  All languages (18)
A beautifully written autobiographical story of a Christmas some twenty years in the author's past, during the Depression, when he was a boy and his sixty-something older cousin, still a child in her mind and his best friend, would make some thirty fruitcakes for Christmas to deliver to everybody they knew, and some they didn't. The picture on the cover is of Capote and his cousin. I think this is the best thing I have read by Capote, certainly the most poignant. ( )
  burnit99 | Apr 19, 2014 |
This is one of my favorite holiday stories, though I only discovered it a few years ago. It is beautiful and familiar and heartbreaking. This version has lovely illustrations and includes an audio CD with Celeste Holm narrating. ( )
  glade1 | Dec 29, 2013 |
In “A Christmas Memory,” Capote eloquently shares what was likely one of the most poignant Christmases of his life. It is the story of seven-year-old ‘Buddy’ and his closest friend, an elderly cousin. The captivating nature of this considerably older cousin springs the story into action with a simple declaration, “Oh my, it’s fruitcake weather!” Thus begins our journey with Buddy and his friend, and there’s not a moment to lose. Dozens of fruitcakes must be baked and given away as Christmas gifts, which is no simple task. However, this is only the beginning. There is still a tree to be cut, countless decorations to make by hand, and naturally, all the busy activity of the big day itself – Christmas.

Capote paints such a delicious picture of this memory that like Buddy and his friend’s Christmas tree, you feel you could almost eat it. Sweet and delightfully funny, it is the touching story of two friends encountering the highs and lows of the Christmas season together. Perhaps, most importantly, it is a reminder to us all that, like Buddy, we never know what the next day or the next Christmas will bring. Wherever we are and whoever we are with – these are the places and the people we must enjoy to the fullest, wringing out every drop of joy that we can because there is no guarantee it will come again. As Buddy’s friend may have very well said, “This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.”
1 vote RGatti | Dec 17, 2013 |
"A reminiscene of a Christmas shared by a seven-year-old boy and a sixtyish childlike woman, with enormous love and friendship between them."
  SABC | Nov 12, 2013 |
sweet, sad little story. made me realize that the thanksgiving visitor was also autobiographical in nature. having the same characters in both makes it easier to be affected by this little short one. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Apr 2, 2013 |
Imagine a morning in late November.
Capote's "A Christmas Memory" ("Un ricordo di Natale", "Eine Weihnachts-Erinnerung", "Een kerstherinnering", etc.) should not be confused with his "One Christmas" ("Un Noel", "Eine Weinechtan", "Un Natale", etc).

Anthologized:

In: Breakfast at Tiffany's: A Short Novel and Three Stories (Modern Library, 1994) pp. 143-161.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375837892, Hardcover)

A Christmas Memory is the classic memoir of Truman Capote's childhood in rural Alabama. Until he was ten years old, Capote lived with distant relatives. This book is an autobiographical story of those years and his frank and fond memories of one of his cousins, Miss Sook Faulk. The text is illustrated with full color illustrations that add greatly to the story without distracting from Capote's poignant prose.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:04 -0400)

A reminiscence of a Christmas shared by a seven-year-old boy and a sixtyish childlike woman, with enormous love and friendship between them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,377,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible