A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote

A Christmas Memory (original 1956; edition 2006)

by Truman Capote, Beth Peck (Illustrator)

531None18,957 (4.31)70
Member:Donna828
Title:A Christmas Memory
Authors:Truman Capote
Other authors:Beth Peck (Illustrator)
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2006), Edition: HAR/COM, Hardcover, 48 pages
Collections:TIOLI Challenge - 2012, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Classic, 12/2012

A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote (1956)

English (16)  Spanish (1)  All languages (17)
This is one of my favorite holiday stories, though I only discovered it a few years ago. It is beautiful and familiar and heartbreaking. This version has lovely illustrations and includes an audio CD with Celeste Holm narrating. ( )
  glade1 | Dec 29, 2013 |
In “A Christmas Memory,” Capote eloquently shares what was likely one of the most poignant Christmases of his life. It is the story of seven-year-old ‘Buddy’ and his closest friend, an elderly cousin. The captivating nature of this considerably older cousin springs the story into action with a simple declaration, “Oh my, it’s fruitcake weather!” Thus begins our journey with Buddy and his friend, and there’s not a moment to lose. Dozens of fruitcakes must be baked and given away as Christmas gifts, which is no simple task. However, this is only the beginning. There is still a tree to be cut, countless decorations to make by hand, and naturally, all the busy activity of the big day itself – Christmas.

Capote paints such a delicious picture of this memory that like Buddy and his friend’s Christmas tree, you feel you could almost eat it. Sweet and delightfully funny, it is the touching story of two friends encountering the highs and lows of the Christmas season together. Perhaps, most importantly, it is a reminder to us all that, like Buddy, we never know what the next day or the next Christmas will bring. Wherever we are and whoever we are with – these are the places and the people we must enjoy to the fullest, wringing out every drop of joy that we can because there is no guarantee it will come again. As Buddy’s friend may have very well said, “This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.”
  RGatti | Dec 17, 2013 |
"A reminiscene of a Christmas shared by a seven-year-old boy and a sixtyish childlike woman, with enormous love and friendship between them."
  SABC | Nov 12, 2013 |
sweet, sad little story. made me realize that the thanksgiving visitor was also autobiographical in nature. having the same characters in both makes it easier to be affected by this little short one. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Apr 2, 2013 |
Believe it or not, this was my first reading of this heartwarming autobiographical story by Truman Capote. It tells about an unusual friendship between Buddy and his much older distant cousin Sooke. It inspires memories of simpler times....going out in the woods and cutting down a Christmas tree, gathering the windfall pecans that were missed by the orchard owner, and scrimping and saving all year to purchase the ingredients for the 30 fruitcakes that will be made with love and delivered to a strange collection of acquaintances and people they admire, including President Roosevelt. This story of love and friendship is charmingly illustrated and will become a family tradition that reminds us of the true meaning of Christmas. ( )
1 vote Donna828 | Dec 26, 2012 |
Imagine a morning in late November.
Capote's "A Christmas Memory" ("Un ricordo di Natale", "Eine Weihnachts-Erinnerung", "Een kerstherinnering", etc.) should not be confused with his "One Christmas" ("Un Noel", "Eine Weinechtan", "Un Natale", etc).

Anthologized:

In: Breakfast at Tiffany's: A Short Novel and Three Stories (Modern Library, 1994) pp. 143-161.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375837892, Hardcover)

A Christmas Memory is the classic memoir of Truman Capote's childhood in rural Alabama. Until he was ten years old, Capote lived with distant relatives. This book is an autobiographical story of those years and his frank and fond memories of one of his cousins, Miss Sook Faulk. The text is illustrated with full color illustrations that add greatly to the story without distracting from Capote's poignant prose.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:04 -0400)

A reminiscence of a Christmas shared by a seven-year-old boy and a sixtyish childlike woman, with enormous love and friendship between them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible