A Christmas memory by Truman Capote

A Christmas memory (original 1956; edition 1989)

by Truman Capote, Beth Peck (Illustrator), Celeste Holm

Member:cchristians
Title:A Christmas memory
Authors:Truman Capote
Other authors:Beth Peck (Illustrator), Celeste Holm
Info:New York : Knopf, [1989]
Collections:South Austin Bookies Book Club
Rating:*****

A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote (1956)

English (26)  Spanish (1)  All (27)
Classic telling of a Southern small town friendship; bittersweet. ( )
  clifforddham | Feb 22, 2017 |
Capote writes beautifully in this autobiographical short story of the friendship between he and his elderly cousin, his “special friend”. It’s a tender story on the power of love and simple pleasures to bring joy even amidst extreme poverty and living among disapproving and unloving relatives.

My favorite passage:
““My, how foolish I am!...You know what I've always thought? I've always thought a body would have to be sick and dying before they saw the Lord. And I imagined that when He came it would be like looking at the Baptist window: pretty as colored glass with the sun pouring through, such a shine you don't know it's getting dark. And it's been a comfort: to think of that shine taking away all the spooky feeling. But I'll wager it never happens. I'll wager at the very end a body realizes the Lord has already shown Himself. That things as they are" - her hand circles in a gesture that gathers clouds and kites and grass and Queenie pawing earth over her bone - "just what they've always seen, was seeing Him. As for me, I could leave the world with today in my eyes.”
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
read this my senior year in high school in my English class. loved the story and liked the movie
  KimSalyers | Oct 2, 2016 |
  KimSalyers | Oct 1, 2016 |
Lovely,touching,heartwarming. A quick but unforgettable read for the season.The illustrations were beautiful.I will read this every year! ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Imagine a morning in late November.
Capote's "A Christmas Memory" ("Un ricordo di Natale", "Eine Weihnachts-Erinnerung", "Een kerstherinnering", etc.) should not be confused with his "One Christmas" ("Un Noel", "Eine Weinechtan", "Un Natale", etc).

Anthologized:

In: Breakfast at Tiffany's: A Short Novel and Three Stories (Modern Library, 1994) pp. 143-161.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375837892, Hardcover)

A Christmas Memory is the classic memoir of Truman Capote's childhood in rural Alabama. Until he was ten years old, Capote lived with distant relatives. This book is an autobiographical story of those years and his frank and fond memories of one of his cousins, Miss Sook Faulk. The text is illustrated with full color illustrations that add greatly to the story without distracting from Capote's poignant prose.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:32 -0400)

A reminiscence of a Christmas shared by a seven-year-old boy and a sixtyish childlike woman, with enormous love and friendship between them.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,490,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible