Blood on Snow by Jo Nesbo

Blood on Snow

by Jo Nesbo

Series: Blood on Snow (1)

English (41)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All (44)
Reading that a Hogarth Shakespeare take on [Macbeth] had been published caught my interest. But who was this Jo Nesbø who authored it? Wiki informed me that Nesbø is a Norwegian author of crime/mystery novels. [Blood on Snow] revealed to me just how skilled an inventor and writer of such material he is.

Olav Johansen, Nesbø's narrator, tells us he's a "fixer," by which he means a killer. An Oslo drug lord took Olav on and tried him in several capacities before realizing that the one task Olav is good at is killing, mostly competitors. But Olav struggles with the greater context of every murder. Tormented by knowing that one of his victims had a wife and several small children, he gives her the payment the killing earned him. Assigned to wring money from an addict, Olav learns that the girlfriend has offered to work as a prostitute to liquidate the debt. He extricates her from her bargain and tries to hide her from both her addict boyfriend and the drug lord's debt collector. Moreover, though she's plain looking and has a limp, he's drawn to her.

Olav's torment ratchets up when the boss commissions him to fix his (the boss's) wife; she's having an affair. Renting a hotel room directly across from the boss's apartment (yeah, convenient, isn't it?) he spends several days observing the unfaithful wife. Her lover shows up and beats her and then fucks her. (Sorry, but that's what he does.) What to make of this? Is the wife really unfaithful? Or is she a victim of this brute?

Olav's considered response to what he's witnessed releases a blizzard (it's Norway) of unpleasant violence and woe. A masterful creation, a masterful conclusion. I give 'er both thumbs up.
  weird_O | May 31, 2018 |
Blood on Snow by Jo Nesbo; (5*)

Am I the only one who LOVED this novel?

The ending of this story broke my heart and took my breath away. Beautiful and tragic.
Told from the point of view of a hit man, this story is about relationships, redemption and morality. The atmosphere created by Nesbo parallels the cold emptiness of the narrator's life. The reader sees, hears and smells everything that happens to the main character and this reader found the protagonist to be a fascinating character.
Olav is a dyslexic who possesses a real and easily swayed heart. He justifies his profession by saying that he mostly kills the sort of men who deserve it. He further clarifies by stating that he's chosen to do this because he "will not be a driver, a robber, deal in drugs or prostitution."
His boss, Hoffman, is Oslo's Red Light Boss along with sharing the heroin business with a competitor, the Fisherman. Hoffman hires Olav to murder his wife Corina. Olav stakes himself out across the street and observes a man coming to Hoffman's apartment each day, slapping Corina around and then having sex with her. Olav follows the culprit and shoots him in the back. Upon reporting to Hoffman that he'd 'fixed' the wife's lover and that he suspected she was being blackmailed; Hoffman's reply leaves Olav stunned. (along with this reader!)
With that, the game of cat and mouse begins with Olav being the one sought for fixing. The story takes place in the 1970's in the dead of winter. The characters turn out to be almost as chilling as the weather. I found the book a fascinating read and was struck dumb when it ended.
I loved this Nesbo outing. ( )
  rainpebble | Mar 27, 2018 |
I found it hard reading for little payback. Most of the time I was asking myself where is this going? ( )
  dh-writer | Mar 20, 2018 |
I didn't find it terribly memorable, but it was still pretty decent. Nice dark themes, and a story that is approached from an interesting angle as well. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Nov 14, 2017 |
I didn't care for the first Nesbø book I read but decided--based on recommendation from my daughter--to try again. I still have not connected to him. This book was so dark and none of the characters seemed real to me. I am sure this author is talented but his books just aren't for me. ( )
  TGPistole | Aug 14, 2017 |

Jo Nesboprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jonsson, PluraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, NeilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The snow was dancing like cotton wool in light of the street lamps.
Snön dansade som bomull i ljuset under gatlyktan.
The first book in the 'Blood on snow' series. Not to be confused with 'Midnight Sun' the second book in the series

Olav lives the lonely life of a fixer. When you 'fix' people for a living - terminally - it's hard to get close to anyone. Now he's finally met the woman of his dreams. But there are two problems. She's his boss' wife. And Olav's just been hired to kill her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:25 -0400)

Oslo, 1970s. Olav, an extremely talented "fixer" whose unexpected capacity for love is as far-reaching as his talent for murder, works for Oslo's crime kingpin, "fixing" anyone who causes him trouble. But it's becoming clear to Olav that the more you know about your boss's business, the more your boss might want you fixed yourself, especially if you've fallen in love with his wife.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,334,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible