Walter the Farting Dog Goes on a Cruise by…

Walter the Farting Dog Goes on a Cruise (2006)

by William Kotzwinkle, Audrey Colman (Illustrator), Elizabeth Gundy, Glenn Murray

My son received this as a gift a long time ago. He`s clearing off his shelves and I thought I would read it before sending it to the thrift store.

Honestly, I was not expecting much from this book because of the title and my dislike of toilet humour. However, I was pleasantly surprised and found a cute, funny, enjoyable story. Besides the extensive use of the word ``fart`` there is nothing uncomfortable about the scenario presented. This bodily function is treated as such and the humour comes from the situations created rather than resorting to the `toilet`` variety. One feels a little sorry for the unfortunate Walter and is happy when his farts save the day. Digital artwork is not my favourite but the bright, bold purple, pink, orange, green colour palette is stunning and captures the attention throughout. A pleasant surprise for me! I`d recommend to any parent who won`t mind repeating the word `fart`` throughout a readaloud. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jul 12, 2013 |
I can't say that I really loved this book but I want to read books that are out of my normal reading comfort zone and this one came highly recommended from my six year old nephew. I didn't find it very funny but I think I would have to read it aloud to see how younger children appreciate the humour.
  ydenomy | Jul 24, 2010 |
A gross humor book for kids. If you can get over the idea of saying fart over and over you'll love this book. Walter is aboard a cruise ship and cannot maintain his bodily functions. His farts smell so bad that they send him to the lower deck and even further on a little lifeboat behind the big cruiser. Although he is treated with much disrespect, Walter shows great personal confidence and does not lose face throughout the book. Ending up the savior, he farts enough to power the boat and becomes the hero. ( )
  amcgoogan | Jun 19, 2009 |
A very funny book that features Walter, the farting dog. On the cruise ship, an odor spreads throughout and Walter is the culprit. He is sent down below in the ship to sit with the stinky cheeses, but eventually placed in a lifeboat to trail the ship, because he stinks so bad. The ship loses power and Walter, the ship, and all it's passenger are stuck in the high waves. But Walter found a way to save the day by eating and digesting the stinky cheese. The humor is this book's biggest strength.
  sbpagac | Mar 16, 2009 |
Walter the farting dog has a slight but horrible gas problem that he cannot control. He and his owner family go on a cruise and his owners take him to the pet area on the ship. Because of Walter's gas problem, he is kicked out and put on a life boat behind the ship. Walter tries to control his gas as hard as he can.The ship then has mechanical problems and stuck at sea. When Walter finally cannot control his gas, he then propels the ship forward.
  linseymomof2 | Jan 24, 2008 |

William Kotzwinkleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colman, AudreyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gundy, Elizabethmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Murray, Glennmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For everyone who's ever felt misjudged or misunderstood
"Look at the size of that ship!" said Billy.

Walter the Farting Dog is now a hero of the high seas!

Everybody is having a great time on a cruise . . . until a terrible odor permeates the ship. All signs point to Walter, and so he is first banished down below, with the stinky cheeses, and then into a lifeboat to float behind the ocean liner. Then catastrophe strikes! How long will the great cruise ship and its frightened passengers be marooned on the high seas? About as long as it takes Walter to digest that cheese!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:36 -0400)

Because his farts create unpleasantness for everyone on a cruise ship, Walter the dog continues the journey in a lifeboat, but when the ship's computer crashes, causing the liner to drift, Walter again proves himself a hero.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible