The Trap by Melanie Raabe

The Trap

by Melanie Raabe

English (15)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (18)
Couldn't get into this story at all and found the regular diversions into extracts of a book the main character had written irritating. The basic premise is a reclusive author whose sister was murdered eleven years previously, suddenly sees the man she thinks murdered her sister on tv and decides to write a book paralleling the events of the murder in order to set a trap for the murderer. However I found the plot very slow to develop and hard to care if her trick worked or not. ( )
  edwardsgt | May 10, 2018 |
The Trap was originally written in German and has since been translated into English by Imogen Taylor. When I first began this novel, I had no idea that this novel was written in German. However, as the story progressed, and more references to Munich came about, I started making connections. Either way, I went through this book in no time, which is a testament to the amazing storyline that the author has created. So here is my review:

Linda Conrads is a bestselling author who has not left her house for eleven years. Haunted by the unsolved murder of her younger sister - whose body Linda discovered - and the face of the man she saw leaving the scene of the crime, Linda has lived her life alone and away from prying eyes. But this illusion of safety is shattered when Linda sees her sister's murderer on television. Now that she has seen him roaming freely, she knows she must do something to avenge her sister's death. And she knows just how to do it: by writing a story that will lure the murderer to her. As past and present mingle, Linda must overcome her demons in order to reveal the truth. But as those around her begin to doubt her sanity, Linda must ask herself: is the man she is accusing really the killer, or is he innocent?

How do I begin to describe this novel? I really loved how the author let this story play out. I loved how the reader could never really trust anything, and was in the same position as the protagonist. Throughout the novel, I was second-guessing myself and wondering if what Linda was feeling and seeing were really true or whether they were a figment of her imagination. The excerpts from Linda's book and the actual story that was happening flowed seamlessly, and added an extra layer of depth to it all. The character development that occurred made me really happy; oftentimes, authors forget that their characters can change and develop while solving a crime. Not everything about this novel was perfect: Linda could be an annoying character at times and the reason behind her sister's death was a little on the meh side. But everything fit together and overall, it was a very enjoyable and unique read. This is definitely on the top of my mystery/thriller must-read lists so if you like books in this genre, I highly recommend you check this one out! ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
Note (2/4-17): I've updated this review from 2016-07-05 with a Swedish review of the book!

SWEDISH REVIEW

Melanie Raabe har verkligen lyckats skriva en bok där jag var inte säker på om huvudkaraktären, Linda Conrad, var helt galen, eller om hon hade rätt om att ha sett hennes systrar mördare på TV: n. Jag drogs in i historien redan från början och boken hålls mitt intresse upp ända fram till slutet. Vi får följa Linda historia, men också kapitel från hennes bok om mordet ingår i berättelsen. Och genom dessa kapitlel, får vi en bild av vad som hände 12 år tidigare.

Det var intressant att läsa om en karaktär som aldrig lämnar sitt hus som gör historien lite mer intim eftersom mycket av det som händer i boken utspelas inne i huset med få personer iblandade. Och som jag skrev ovan, att man inte vet om Linda var rätt eller om hon hade blivit galen och detta gjorde boken riktigt intressant att läsa eftersom man inte kunde vara säker på någonting.

Jag gillade boken jättemycket, den var välskriven, spännande och överraskande. Dock var jag var lite förvirrad varför hon hade så lite kontakt med sina föräldrar. Jag menar bara att hon inte kan lämna huset betyder inte att de inte kan besöka och jag aldrig känt att det förklarades varför de hade så lite kontakt. Men det är det enda som jag kände lite udda, resten av boken var riktigt bra!

Tack till Louise Bäckelin Förlag för recensionsexemplaret!

ENGLISH REVIEW

I have to hand it to Melanie Raabe, she has really managed to write a book where I was not sure if Linda Conrad was utterly mad or if she was right about having seen her sisters killer on the TV. I was pulled into the story right from the start and the book kept my interest up. We get to follow Linda's story, but also chapters from her book about the murder are included in the story. And through the chapters, we get a picture of what happened 12 years before.

It was interesting to reading about a character that never leaves her house that makes the story a bit more intimate since most of the story takes place inside the house and with very few people. And, as I wrote above, one just couldn't know if Linda was right or if she had gone mad. And, that made the book really interesting to read since one could not be sure about anything.

I liked the book very much, it was well-written, exciting and surprising. I was a bit confused why she had so little contact with her parents. I mean just because she can't leave the house doesn't mean that they can't visit and I never felt that it was explained why they had so little contact. However, that's the only thing that I felt a bit odd, the rest of the book was really good!

I want to thank Grand Central Publishing for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Built in 5 stages like a classical drama, the suspense was falling after the confrontation in the mid of the book. I wasn't sure at this point if the story could return to the path of the first half or if everything would end in destruction. But it accomplished an satisfying ending for me.

So if you are looking for a gripping story with a few mind games i can recommend this book ( )
  Morituri | Dec 7, 2017 |
The Trap by Melanie Raabe
2 Stars

From the Book:
The renowned author Linda Conrads is famous for more than just her bestselling novels. For over eleven years, she has mystified fans by never setting foot outside her home. Far-fetched, sometimes sinister rumors surround the shut-in writer, but they pale in comparison to the chilling truth: Linda is haunted by the unsolved murder of her younger sister, whom she discovered in a pool of blood twelve years ago, and by the face of the man she saw fleeing the scene.

Now plagued by panic attacks, Linda copes with debilitating anxiety by secluding herself in her house, her last safe haven. But the sanctity of this refuge is shattered when her sister's murderer appears again--this time on her television screen. Empowered with sudden knowledge but hobbled by years of isolation, Linda resolves to use her only means of communication with the outside world--the plot of her next novel--to lay an irresistible trap for the man.

But as the plan is set in motion and the past comes rushing back, Linda's memories of that traumatic night--and her very sanity--are called into question. Is this man really a heartless killer or merely a helpless victim?

My Views:
Sounded intriguing....however I am hard pressed to tell you what this book was even about. Don't think I'll be doing this again any time soon. ( )
  Carol420 | Apr 21, 2017 |
Ich bin nicht von dieser Welt.

"In this twisted debut thriller, a reclusive author sets the perfect trap for her sister's murderer--but is he really the killer? For 11 years, the bestselling author Linda Conrads has mystified fans by never setting foot outside her home. Haunted by the unsolved murder of her younger sister--who she discovered in a pool of blood--and the face of the man she saw fleeing the scene, Linda's hermit existence helps her cope with debilitating anxiety. But the sanctity of her oasis is shattered when she sees her sister's murderer on television. Hobbled by years of isolation, Linda resolves to use the plot of her next novel to lay an irresistible trap for the man. As the plan is set in motion and the past comes rushing back, Linda's memories--and her very sanity--are called into question. Is this man a heartless killer or merely a helpless victim?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,097,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible