Creative Aging: A Baby Boomer's Guide to…

Creative Aging: A Baby Boomer's Guide to Successful Living

by Cheryl Vassiliadis

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm not really sure why I requested this book through the Early Reviewer program but probably in hopes that it might help with planning, adjusting to retirement life. But, alas, I did not find much that would be helpful. For years I have been reading newspaper articles, etc in anticipation of retirement so that there was not much new in this book. There were a few helpful parts however: one chapter on emotions about aging and about setting goals made a couple of helpful points. I note that other previous reviewers also made this same point - that there was little new presented. Perhaps this is because retirement and aging are really very individual things. ( )
  catarina1 | Jan 31, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I feel badly reviewing a book I didn't like, but here it is anyway. This was a very disappointing read. From the title, I expected something new, something challenging, something unexpected geared toward the people who came of age primarily in the 60s. Instead of that, it was more of the authors' take on what experiences they'd had and how they wanted to continue living creatively. Being self motivated, seeking life long learning, trying new things - all common sense for any age. Even the assignments contained nothing new. It was not at all what I expected. ( )
  marasgma | Sep 11, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The concept is timely and important. Aging is a privilege; not everyone gets the opportunity. I applaud the authors for their effort. Unfortunately the book did not speak to me. There as little that was new. I felt I was receiving common knowledge. I would have preferred something that dealt more deeply with the issues of aging and mortality. ( )
  stellarexplorer | May 3, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through LTER and unfortunately, I did not find it to be insightful or enlightening. Maybe I have already done so much reading about retirement, that it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. The other reviewers all seemed to like it but I can't recommend it. Most of it was just common sense. ( )
  andrea58 | Mar 27, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In "Creative Aging", Cheryl Vassiliadis and Joanna Romer look at how the Baby Boomer generation can go on being the creative generation that helped change the world. This is not a book that shies away from talking about the things that made this generation famous. One of the chapters is "Feminism and Creative Aging" and another is "Facing Death Creatively". This is an excellent book for good answers for troubling questions.
  FCClibraryoshkosh | Feb 6, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Cheryl Vassiliadis's book Creative Aging: A Baby Boomer's Guide to Successful Living was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,656,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible