HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Moby-Dick; or The whale (Illustrated ed.) by…
Loading...

Moby-Dick; or The whale (Illustrated ed.) (original 1851; edition 2017)

by Herman Melville (Author), Evan Dahm (Illustrator)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
23,41236647 (3.82)6 / 1311
Member:donutage
Title:Moby-Dick; or The whale (Illustrated ed.)
Authors:Herman Melville (Author)
Other authors:Evan Dahm (Illustrator)
Info:
Collections:Moorestown
Rating:
Tags:19c, novel, american, Melville, illustrated

Work details

Moby Dick by Herman Melville (1851)

  1. 140
    The Sea Wolf by Jack London (wvlibrarydude)
  2. 130
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex tells the true story that inspired Melville to write Moby Dick.
  3. 90
    Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad (_eskarina)
  4. 60
    Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Jr. Dana (knownever)
    knownever: A more enjoyable, shorter, and less allegorical story of sailing life, although there aren't any whales. The author of this one kind of looks down on whalers. All together a more jaunty sea tale.
  5. 50
    The Whale: In Search of the Giants of the Sea by Philip Hoare (chrisharpe, John_Vaughan)
  6. 50
    The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe (caflores)
  7. 40
    The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway (caflores)
  8. 41
    Why Read Moby-Dick? by Nathaniel Philbrick (John_Vaughan)
  9. 31
    Railsea by China Miéville (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: An imaginative, affectionate pastiche of the novel's themes, imagery, and characters.
  10. 31
    Genoa: A Telling of Wonders by Paul Metcalf (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Melville's heir struggles to close his relationship to his preceding literary genius. Click the link above, read what you can, and get yourself hooked on one of the most critically-adored yet criminally-underread novels written in a century defined by self-analysis and experimentation.… (more)
  11. 32
    The Myth of Sisyphus and other essays by Albert Camus (WilfGehlen)
    WilfGehlen: Camus was greatly influenced by Melville and in The Myth of Sisyphus mentions Moby-Dick as a truly absurd work. Reading Moby-Dick with Camus' absurd in mind gives a deeper, and very different insight than provided by the usual emphasis on Ahab's quest for revenge.… (more)
  12. 32
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (ateolf)
  13. 43
    Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund (ecleirs24, AriadneAranea)
    ecleirs24: Cause this novel is based upon a passage from Mobi Dick......
  14. 00
    The Wreck of the Whaleship Essex by Owen Chase (meggyweg)
  15. 44
    Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (caflores)
    caflores: Para amantes del lenguaje náutico y de las descripciones detalladas.
  16. 22
    The Confidence-Man: His Masquerade by Herman Melville (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: Compared to Moby Dick, The Confidence Man is a much lighter read. But after ploughing through Moby Dick, this may be a welcome change. It is not as profound, but you also don't have to struggle through any of it. This is worth reading.
  17. 11
    The Last Fish Tale by Mark Kurlansky (John_Vaughan)
  18. 11
    The Nautical Chart by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Ronoc)
  19. 44
    Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham (JGKC)
  20. 11
    Oil! by Upton Sinclair (edwinbcn)

(see all 24 recommendations)

Romans (14)
Read (14)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (329)  Dutch (9)  Spanish (7)  German (6)  Italian (4)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All (366)
Showing 1-5 of 329 (next | show all)
per questo libro ci vorrebbe una sesta stella, le cinque possibili non bastano. Leggere un libro così lungo senza stancarsi e rapiti è sintomo che chi lo ha scritto ha redatto un capolavoro. Grazie a Pivano che lo ha fatto conoscere in Italia. Aggiungere altre parole non serve e diventa inutile, l'unica cosa possibile da dire è che lo si deve leggere. Aggiornamento: su richiesta di una persona mi è stato chiesto di dire cosa mi è piaciuto di questo libro. Aggiungo quanto segue. Moby Dick mi è piaciuto per alcuni fattori del libro, anche se capisco che è abbastanza ostico da leggere, perchè molto lungo e spesso prolisso. Ma i personaggi sono interessanti, e sono in realtà il paradigma dei personaggi umani. La continua ricerca del limite, dell'oltre, del significato sono impersonati dal capitano Achab, il narratore impersona colui che ricerca di continuo, che non si ferma alle apparenze, indaga la natura umana senza accontentarsi della spiegazione più facile e immediata per comprendere e per darsi una motivazione a ciò che osserva. Inoltre, per me, è evidente la capacità dell'autore nello scrivere, nel costruire i personaggi, nel raccontare una storia ai limiti dell'assurdo riuscendo ad avvincerti. La storia inoltre la ritengo quasi "epica", perchè è una storia che descrive il tentativo umano di superare il limite dato dalle condizioni, il tentativo umano di esplorare l'ignoto (sembra l'Ulisse dantesco che supera le colonne d'Ercole), la ricerca di significato nella vita che ti è data di vivere. ( )
  SirJo | Sep 4, 2017 |
Short Review:

Absolutely. Brilliant.

The Longer Version:

Moby-Dick is not a work you can consume in a few hours, put down and forget about. It has to be read slowly and with patience. Melville does not coddle the reader, or appear to have any compunction about narrative conventions. He experiments with form, often bringing the central story to a screeching halt so that he can, for example, discourse on the anatomy of the whale. Your impulse is to skip these segments in order to get back to the story. But that would be a mistake, as
his treatment of these topics is detailed and fascinating in their own right.

The read is also a slow go because of Melville's language, as dense and off-putting as a blackberry thicket. But if you tease apart each clause and phrase of his prose, and follow it to its end point, you will usually be amply rewarded. At times Melville is convoluted and inscrutable, especially when Ahab launches into one of his rants. But more often that not, Melville startles and amazes with language so beautiful and profound few writers can compare.

My greatest concerns with this novel are societal. I was very uncomfortable with his depiction of race. Though the Pequod sports a multi-cultural crew, minorities are often characterized as savages incapable of the complex feelings and musing of the white men, e.g. Ahab, Ishmael, and Starbuck. In addition, the whale hunt itself, which of course is at the heart of the novel, is viscerally repulsive. One scene, in particular, when Melville describes a whale killing in graphic detail, is horrifying.

Both of these issues might have been a deal-breaker had I not sensed that, in both cases, Melville's intentions were to assign nobility-- to Queequeg, Tashtego, and Daggoo, and to the beleaguered whales at the mercy of the 19th century's insatiable demand for whale oil. In short, while Melville was, to a great extent, a man of his time, he tried, at least in some capacity, to transcend it.

As major as those drawbacks are, they simply don't diminish the breathtaking span and scope of this incomparable novel. It's not for all readers, or most, but it is a novel for the ages. ( )
1 vote deheinze | Aug 30, 2017 |
This is the best book I've ever read. An amazing adventure. I couldn't believe what I was reading at times! The way the main character delivers his humor is just exquisite. I had to look up a lot of words, a lot of Biblical references, and a lot of American history to understand parts of the book, and that was a great educational experience. ( )
1 vote Steven.Riedel | Aug 25, 2017 |
Amo questo romanzo e lo avrei amato ancor di più se non fosse stato per il trattato di cetologia che esso contiene. ( )
  downisthenewup | Aug 17, 2017 |
While I am no stranger at all to the digressions and slow pace of 19th century literature, much of which I love, I am unwilling at the moment to read any more of this after reaching the 40% mark. The basic theme of Captain Ahab's monomanic revenge against the sperm whale that cost him his leg is fair enough, and some of the characters are vividly described, but there is just too much information dumping on the history of the whaling industry, different types of whales, and other digressions, and very many (mercifully) short chapters which seem opaque and purposeless. A pity as the novel started well, and the first few chapters, in particular Ishmael's first meeting with Queequeg, were humorous. I may return to this some day, but there are just too many other books to read and enjoy. ( )
  john257hopper | Aug 2, 2017 |
Showing 1-5 of 329 (next | show all)
Forfatter: Herman Melville

Moby Dick I
«Kall meg Ismael. For noen år siden - akkurat når det var, er likegyldig - bestemte jeg meg for å gå til sjøs og lære verdenshavene å kjenne. Jeg hadde lite eller ingenting å leve av, og ikke noe særlig som interesserte meg på land. Gå til sjøs - på den måten har jeg ofte drevet tungsinn på flukt og regulert blodomløpet.»
Slik begynner verdens kanskje mest kjente roman, romanen som stiller de vanskeligste og viktigste spørsmål; om det ondes og godes natur og om viljens mulighet til å trosse skjebnen.

Moby Dick II
Historien om kaptein Akabs glødende hat til den hvite hvalen fortsetter:
«Riggen levde. Mastetoppene var som høye palmer, var vidt behengt med armer og ben. Enkelte av sjøfolkene klynget seg til spirene med den ene hånden, mens de utålmodig viftet med den andre. Noen satt ytterst ute på de gyngende rærne og skjermet øynene mot det skarpe solskinnet. Hele riggen var full av dødelige mennesker, rede og modne til å ta imot sin skjebne. Å, hvor de stirret ut gjennom det uendelige blå, for å oppdage det vesen som kanskje skulle ødelegge dem!»

Herman Melville
Herman Melville (1819-1891), amerikansk forfatter, essayist og poet. Melville blir ansett å være blant de fremste amerikanske forfattere gjennom tidene, og hans hovedverk Moby Dick (1851) regnes som en av verdenslitteraturens største romaner. Samtidens forfattere hadde gått på de «riktige» skolene, mens Melvilles bakgrunn var annerledes. Han ble født inn i en rikmannsfamilie, men måtte tidlig greie seg selv. Som ung gutt gikk han til sjøs og sa senere; «havet ble mitt universitet». Melville hadde store reiser og merkelig eventyr bak seg da Moby Dick kom ut. Han hadde seilt i over fire år, var to ganger rundt Kapp Horn og hadde levd blant kannibaler etter at han deserterte på Marquesas-øyene. Melville kjente virkelig til det livet han beskriver i boken, et farefullt liv i jakten på havets gull, spermasetthvalens verdifulle olje.
added by KystbiblioteketOslo | editFlyt Forlag, Anne Nygren
 

» Add other authors (166 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Melville, Hermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adler, Mortimer J.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beaver, Harold LowtherEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
D'Agostino, NemiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Delbanco, AndrewIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fadiman, CliftonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jendis, MatthiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kent, RockwellIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meynell, ViolaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moser, BarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mummendey, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palmer, GarrickIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pavese, CesareTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quirk, TomCommentarysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rathjen, FriedhelmTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, BoardmanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schaeffer, MeadIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sutcliffe, DenhamAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walcutt, Charles ChildEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
There Leviathan, Hugest of living creatures, in the deep
Stretch'd like a promontory sleeps or swims,
And seems a moving land; and at his gills
Draws in, and at his breath spouts out a sea.
PARADISE LOST
Dedication
In token

of my admiration for his genius,

This Book is Inscribed

to

Nathaniel Hawthorne.
First words
Call me Ishmael. Some years ago — never mind how long precisely — having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world.
Quotations
Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off — then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. ...from Chapter 1 : Loomings
"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me."
All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event--in the living act, the undoubted deed—there, some unknown but still reasoning thing put forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.
To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Please do not combine adaptations or abridged editions of Moby Dick with unabridged versions. Versions aimed at children are normally abridged editions and should not be combined here. Also, books ABOUT Moby Dick (such as study guides) should not be combined with the unabridged nor the abridged novel. Please keep such books as an independent work.
The ISBN 9025463312 is shared with a different work.
The Penguin Classics 150th Anniversary Ed (ISBN 0142000086) is not abridged, although that word has appeared in some user's data.
Norton Critical editions, Longman Critical editions and other scholarly editions should not be combined with the unabridged novel. The scholarly-type editions contain much additional material so they should be considered as separate works.
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Book description
Haiku summary
Call me Ishmael.
Score: Whale 1, Ahab 0.
I alone returned.
(bertilak)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142437247, Paperback)


Over a century and a half after its publication, Moby-Dick still stands as an indisputable literary classic. It is the story of an eerily compelling madman pursuing an unholy war against a creature as vast and dangerous and unknowable as the sea itself. But more than just a novel of adventure, more than an encyclopedia of whaling lore and legend, Moby-Dick is a haunting, mesmerizing, and important social commentary populated with several of the most unforgettable and enduring characters in literature. Written with wonderfully redemptive humor, Moby-Dick is a profound and timeless inquiry into character, faith, and the nature of perception.


@greatwhitetale Call me Ishmael. You could call me something else if you want, but since that’s my name, it would make sense to call me Ishmael.

Captain obsessed with finding a whale called Moby Dick. Sounds like the meanest VD ever, if you ask me. Sorry. Old joke. Couldn’t resist.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:32 -0400)

(see all 8 descriptions)

Moby-Dick] is an 1851 novel by Herman Melville. The story tells the adventures of the wandering sailor Ishmael and his voyage on the whaleship Pequod, commanded by Captain Ahab. Ishmael soon learns that Ahab seeks one specific whale, Moby Dick, a white whale of tremendous size and ferocity. Comparatively few whaleships know of Moby Dick, and fewer yet have encountered him. In a previous encounter, the whale destroyed Ahab's boat and bit off his leg. Ahab intends to take revenge. -- Wikipedia.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 50 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.82)
0.5 20
1 185
1.5 25
2 331
2.5 75
3 742
3.5 140
4 1116
4.5 159
5 1426

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,514,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible