Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics) by Herman…

Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics) (original 1851; edition 1999)

by Herman Melville

22,13634456 (3.82)6 / 1211
Member:lox
Title:Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics)
Authors:Herman Melville
Info:Wordsworth Editions Ltd (1999), Paperback, 544 pages

Moby Dick by Herman Melville (1851)

The Sea Wolf by Jack London (wvlibrarydude)
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex tells the true story that inspired Melville to write Moby Dick.
    Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad (_eskarina)
    Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana (knownever)
    knownever: A more enjoyable, shorter, and less allegorical story of sailing life, although there aren't any whales. The author of this one kind of looks down on whalers. All together a more jaunty sea tale.
    The Whale: In Search of the Giants of the Sea by Philip Hoare (chrisharpe, John_Vaughan)
    The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe (caflores)
    The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway (caflores)
    Why Read Moby-Dick? by Nathaniel Philbrick (John_Vaughan)
    Genoa: A Telling of Wonders by Paul Metcalf (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Melville's heir struggles to close his relationship to his preceding literary genius. Click the link above, read what you can, and get yourself hooked on one of the most critically-adored yet criminally-underread novels written in a century defined by self-analysis and experimentation.… (more)
    Railsea by China Miéville (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: An imaginative, affectionate pastiche of the novel's themes, imagery, and characters.
    The Myth of Sisyphus and other essays by Albert Camus (WilfGehlen)
    WilfGehlen: Camus was greatly influenced by Melville and in The Myth of Sisyphus mentions Moby-Dick as a truly absurd work. Reading Moby-Dick with Camus' absurd in mind gives a deeper, and very different insight than provided by the usual emphasis on Ahab's quest for revenge.… (more)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (ateolf)
    Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund (ecleirs24, AriadneAranea)
    ecleirs24: Cause this novel is based upon a passage from Mobi Dick......
    Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (caflores)
    caflores: Para amantes del lenguaje náutico y de las descripciones detalladas.
    The Confidence-Man: His Masquerade by Herman Melville (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: Compared to Moby Dick, The Confidence Man is a much lighter read. But after ploughing through Moby Dick, this may be a welcome change. It is not as profound, but you also don't have to struggle through any of it. This is worth reading.
    The Last Fish Tale by Mark Kurlansky (John_Vaughan)
    Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham (JGKC)
    Oil! by Upton Sinclair (edwinbcn)
    The Nautical Chart by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Ronoc)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: I once heard Harlan Ellison talking about how some works are unadaptable into film and he cited Dune and Moby-Dick And thinking about it, both works use their story telling as platforms for ruminations on well everything about life

Romans (14)

English (309)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (7)  German (6)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (344)
I won't say this is a terrible book. It's full of wonderfully thematic and significant description and the eerie, almost science fiction direction of the story is compelling overall. I think the reason this book did not appeal to me was because Melville tends, frequently, to get distracted from his primary story. To get to the climax of Moby Dick, the reader has to wade through a ton of I'm sure very accurate information on how whales were captured and rendered for their several products back in the day. Only, those points aren't particularly interesting when they shove a grand vengeance plot into the background. They could be compacted into far fewer words and the story would benefit from the editing. ( )
  StephanLoy | Nov 25, 2016 |
I have very mixed feelings about Moby Dick. There are many beautiful passages tucked into this epic adventure of Ahab VS The Whale, that being said, there is also a lot of unnecessary (imo) content.

Melville has many side chapters that are usually only a few pages in length, but they are soley focused on something like the skull of a Sperm Whale or the difference between a couple of species of whale, or what have you. While I do think some of these chapters add to the epicness of whaling and they help the layperson understand the gritty adventure that Ahab and his crew are voyaging, I found much of this content to be very dull.

I found myself wanting to give up multiple times throughout this one, but Ahab is no quitter and he doesn't allow for it from any of his crew. "There's no crying in whaling!?!" or something like that. In the end, I'm glad I stuck with it, if nothing else to prove to myself that I could stick with it to the bitter end, just like Ahab. I do think that there are enough enjoyable pieces with the shakespearian dialogue, gritty adventure, and the all-inspiring Ahab that it is worth grinding through. ( )
  masteryoda716 | Aug 31, 2016 |
With a formidable reputation built up over hundred-and-sixty-five years as an allegory about one man's obsessive quest for revenge against a whale, this seeming-slog of a novel is an utterly entertaining and informative romp through the history of whaling, with the inevitable occasional dull chapters and pacing issues. On one hand, there are metaphors and biblical allusions - which whizzed right by me unplucked - and historical details, but on the other, there are playful subversions of the novel-structure and just generally a good ol' sea adventure from the viewpoint of its sarcastic narrator with the modern sensibility.

It's difficult to approach a book which has entered the cultural subconscious as much as Moby-Dick. It emphasises the whale, the obsessed, and Ishmael but even though the presence of the whale looms large over the course of the novel, it's not until the last hundred pages of the book - and even then, only in brief cameos - the eponymous character physically appears. Perhaps it is due to this expectation, the already off-kilter pacing of the entire novel is flipped overboard, but thankfully there are so many other things happening than the pacing, that it is impossible to not find something you can enjoy.

What I enjoyed were the Ishmael's wordplay, friendship with Queequeg - I initially had concerns that the character Queequeg was to be developed in the usual old-white-author way, a "savage" exoticised, useful and stronger than the others but is merely a pawn to be killed off for the convenience of the other white characters - and the facts about whaling - I've never thought about narwhal(e)s and porpoises as being clearly in the whale family, nor the actual immensity of their sizes. The details of lowering the boats, killing the whales, skinning the whale - they peeled it like a continuous strip of an apple, who knew! - , method of extracting the sperm, etc, were engrossing, even if they are repulsive in light of our current ethical sensibilities, immuned here only by the book's context.

What I cherish most of all from the novel, is that I was so fascinated by all the whaling facts, I expounded them to the nearest person at the time, my mother. At which point, I found out that she has actually spotted whales many times in her childhood, and even beached whales, accompanied by some details of her childhood. It was not something that would've come up in everyday conversation - even though it'd be a great conversation-starter - and I'm grateful that Moby-Dick made it happen. ( )
1 vote kitzyl | Aug 19, 2016 |
Probably the best book I've ever read. Truly a classic in every sense of the word. ( )
  manishch | Aug 2, 2016 |
My full review is here.

There are passages of true brilliance in this book. There is a gripping narrative in this book. Unfortunately, there is a lot of indulgent and overblown blather in this book as well. Those who hail it as a classic and urge it on their friends are the same kind of people who insist that no American has really lived until he has visited Yellowstone National Park and seen its wonders -- wonders there are, and it is they that stick in the visitor's fond memory, but what is forgotten are the miles and miles and miles of monotonous stands of lodgepole pine on every side. Kind of like the sea. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Forfatter: Herman Melville

Moby Dick I
«Kall meg Ismael. For noen år siden - akkurat når det var, er likegyldig - bestemte jeg meg for å gå til sjøs og lære verdenshavene å kjenne. Jeg hadde lite eller ingenting å leve av, og ikke noe særlig som interesserte meg på land. Gå til sjøs - på den måten har jeg ofte drevet tungsinn på flukt og regulert blodomløpet.»
Slik begynner verdens kanskje mest kjente roman, romanen som stiller de vanskeligste og viktigste spørsmål; om det ondes og godes natur og om viljens mulighet til å trosse skjebnen.

Moby Dick II
Historien om kaptein Akabs glødende hat til den hvite hvalen fortsetter:
«Riggen levde. Mastetoppene var som høye palmer, var vidt behengt med armer og ben. Enkelte av sjøfolkene klynget seg til spirene med den ene hånden, mens de utålmodig viftet med den andre. Noen satt ytterst ute på de gyngende rærne og skjermet øynene mot det skarpe solskinnet. Hele riggen var full av dødelige mennesker, rede og modne til å ta imot sin skjebne. Å, hvor de stirret ut gjennom det uendelige blå, for å oppdage det vesen som kanskje skulle ødelegge dem!»

Herman Melville
Herman Melville (1819-1891), amerikansk forfatter, essayist og poet. Melville blir ansett å være blant de fremste amerikanske forfattere gjennom tidene, og hans hovedverk Moby Dick (1851) regnes som en av verdenslitteraturens største romaner. Samtidens forfattere hadde gått på de «riktige» skolene, mens Melvilles bakgrunn var annerledes. Han ble født inn i en rikmannsfamilie, men måtte tidlig greie seg selv. Som ung gutt gikk han til sjøs og sa senere; «havet ble mitt universitet». Melville hadde store reiser og merkelig eventyr bak seg da Moby Dick kom ut. Han hadde seilt i over fire år, var to ganger rundt Kapp Horn og hadde levd blant kannibaler etter at han deserterte på Marquesas-øyene. Melville kjente virkelig til det livet han beskriver i boken, et farefullt liv i jakten på havets gull, spermasetthvalens verdifulle olje.
added by KystbiblioteketOslo | editFlyt Forlag, Anne Nygren

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

There Leviathan, Hugest of living creatures, in the deep
Stretch'd like a promontory sleeps or swims,
And seems a moving land; and at his gills
Draws in, and at his breath spouts out a sea.
PARADISE LOST
In token

of my admiration for his genius,

This Book is Inscribed

to

Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world.
Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off — then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. ...from Chapter 1 : Loomings
"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me."
All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event--in the living act, the undoubted deed—there, some unknown but still reasoning thing put forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.
To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
Please do not combine adaptations or abridged editions of Moby Dick with unabridged versions. Versions aimed at children are normally abridged editions and should not be combined here. Also, books ABOUT Moby Dick (such as study guides) should not be combined with the unabridged nor the abridged novel. Please keep such books as an independent work.
The ISBN 9025463312 is shared with a different work.
The Penguin Classics 150th Anniversary Ed (ISBN 0142000086) is not abridged, although that word has appeared in some user's data.
Norton Critical editions, Longman Critical editions and other scholarly editions should not be combined with the unabridged novel. The scholarly-type editions contain much additional material so they should be considered as separate works.
Call me Ishmael.
Score: Whale 1, Ahab 0.
I alone returned.
(bertilak)

Over a century and a half after its publication, Moby-Dick still stands as an indisputable literary classic. It is the story of an eerily compelling madman pursuing an unholy war against a creature as vast and dangerous and unknowable as the sea itself. But more than just a novel of adventure, more than an encyclopedia of whaling lore and legend, Moby-Dick is a haunting, mesmerizing, and important social commentary populated with several of the most unforgettable and enduring characters in literature. Written with wonderfully redemptive humor, Moby-Dick is a profound and timeless inquiry into character, faith, and the nature of perception.

@greatwhitetale Call me Ishmael. You could call me something else if you want, but since that’s my name, it would make sense to call me Ishmael.

Captain obsessed with finding a whale called Moby Dick. Sounds like the meanest VD ever, if you ask me. Sorry. Old joke. Couldn’t resist.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:32 -0400)

Moby-Dick] is an 1851 novel by Herman Melville. The story tells the adventures of the wandering sailor Ishmael and his voyage on the whaleship Pequod, commanded by Captain Ahab. Ishmael soon learns that Ahab seeks one specific whale, Moby Dick, a white whale of tremendous size and ferocity. Comparatively few whaleships know of Moby Dick, and fewer yet have encountered him. In a previous encounter, the whale destroyed Ahab's boat and bit off his leg. Ahab intends to take revenge. -- Wikipedia.… (more)

Legacy Library: Herman Melville

Herman Melville has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Herman Melville's legacy profile.

See Herman Melville's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437247, 0142000086, 0143105957, 0141198958

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Library of America Paperback Classics

An edition of this book was published by Library of America Paperback Classics.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,832,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible