Moby Dick. by Herman Melville

Moby Dick. (original 1851; edition 2003)

by Herman Melville

22,68735554 (3.82)6 / 1273
Member:letseatgrandpa
Title:Moby Dick.
Authors:Herman Melville
Info:Btb Bei Goldmann (2003), Paperback, 1056 pages
Rating:**

Moby Dick by Herman Melville (1851)

The Sea Wolf by Jack London (wvlibrarydude)
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex tells the true story that inspired Melville to write Moby Dick.
    Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad (_eskarina)
    Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana (knownever)
    knownever: A more enjoyable, shorter, and less allegorical story of sailing life, although there aren't any whales. The author of this one kind of looks down on whalers. All together a more jaunty sea tale.
    The Whale: In Search of the Giants of the Sea by Philip Hoare (chrisharpe, John_Vaughan)
    The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe (caflores)
    The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway (caflores)
    Why Read Moby-Dick? by Nathaniel Philbrick (John_Vaughan)
    Genoa: A Telling of Wonders by Paul Metcalf (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Melville's heir struggles to close his relationship to his preceding literary genius. Click the link above, read what you can, and get yourself hooked on one of the most critically-adored yet criminally-underread novels written in a century defined by self-analysis and experimentation.… (more)
    Railsea by China Miéville (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: An imaginative, affectionate pastiche of the novel's themes, imagery, and characters.
    The Myth of Sisyphus and other essays by Albert Camus (WilfGehlen)
    WilfGehlen: Camus was greatly influenced by Melville and in The Myth of Sisyphus mentions Moby-Dick as a truly absurd work. Reading Moby-Dick with Camus' absurd in mind gives a deeper, and very different insight than provided by the usual emphasis on Ahab's quest for revenge.… (more)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (ateolf)
    Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund (ecleirs24, AriadneAranea)
    ecleirs24: Cause this novel is based upon a passage from Mobi Dick......
    Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (caflores)
    caflores: Para amantes del lenguaje náutico y de las descripciones detalladas.
    The Confidence-Man: His Masquerade by Herman Melville (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: Compared to Moby Dick, The Confidence Man is a much lighter read. But after ploughing through Moby Dick, this may be a welcome change. It is not as profound, but you also don't have to struggle through any of it. This is worth reading.
    The Last Fish Tale by Mark Kurlansky (John_Vaughan)
    Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham (JGKC)
    Oil! by Upton Sinclair (edwinbcn)
    The Nautical Chart by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Ronoc)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: I once heard Harlan Ellison talking about how some works are unadaptable into film and he cited Dune and Moby-Dick And thinking about it, both works use their story telling as platforms for ruminations on well everything about life

Romans (14)
Read (14)

English (319)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (7)  German (6)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (354)
Very slow read if you want to get a grasp on all the descriptive images by Melville. Nice short chapters keeps reader from getting bogged down in too long of a reading session. These short chapters are akin to where a commercial would be if the book were a TV show, LOL, but make the reading more easy. ( )
  jdaley | Apr 18, 2017 |
Despite Ishmael's astonished and disquieting first encounter with Queequeg, readers may feel a gentle entry,
an easing into his life as a whaler. Then comes an awakening call from Jonah and Father Mapple:
"You cannot hide the soul!"

Melville alternates unflinching minutely detailed descriptions of whale hunting, hideous cold-blooded
killings, and god-awful butchery with his own kind hearted compassion, love, and respect for animals.
One imagines him pondering, as he did the nursing whale babies who were spared death, all the three-legged Easter lambs that never get a chance at life.
He skewers foie gras, leading this reader to wonder if President Obama read the volume before his visit to Paris restaurants.

Though daunting reading at times for animal lovers, the unrelenting pursuit of the divine, sublime, mystic
Leviathan monster sphinx overrides the parts to skim over.

Midway through the lengthy book when interest may be waning, Melville changes directions, introducing GAMS, and the plot takes off again. Insights into various characters' humor, mysteries, and personal life philosophies abound as we are all "lashed athwartship." The rhythms of the ship, the winds, weather, and waves interweave in this fateful journey toward the "...spouting fish with a horizontal tail."

And, woe be to anyone who interrupts the reading of the Three Chapter Chase!

Rockwell Kent's many illustrations not only illuminate the long text, but move it smoothly along. As well,
we see the world from the whale's eye...and, we want that Great White Whale to make it, to live,
sounding deep and free and far from Ahab's treacherous commands to "...spout black blood."

"Speaking words of wisdom, let (them) be..."

For readers who inquire about the relevance of this old Classic, Ishmael offers up the headline he sees:
"BLOODY BATTLE IN AFGANISTAN"

The climax of Moby-Dick is perfect.

For me, the ending was not.
Why did the bird need to be nailed to the mast of the dying ship?
Why are we left with this horrifying image? What does it mean?

Other mysteries > The significance of the three mountains
(rooster, tower, and flame) on the Spanish doubloon?

Why the out-of-place, contrived conversational "Town-Ho"
episode is included? It would not be missed.

> What Fedallah gets out of joining Ahab? With his gift of prophecy,
he must have known before departure that he would be doomed
with the rest, so what was he seeking? Unlike Hecate and the
three witches who did not join MACBETH in his castle, Fedallah
strangely casts his lot with The Captain.

(The book I read was unabridged - this Great Illustrated Classics is the only Rockwell Kent title I could find.) ( )
  m.belljackson | Mar 27, 2017 |
This is an odd book. It has some passages that I found really very uncomfortable, the chase of the sick whale, for example, turned my stomach. Having said that, it serves to illustrate the mindset and the times they lived in. Did I enjoy it? Not sure. But I did always want to know how it ended (badly).
Starts and ends as a first person tale, not sure it always fits into that category though. ( )
  Helenliz | Jan 21, 2017 |
I know sometimes it's hard for people of this time to get into books written so long ago, but I read a lot of classics. I had sooooo much trouble with this one. It seemed just like a bunch of madness wrapped in references to stories from the bible, greek myths etc. Obviously Herman Melville was a very learnéd man, but I just couldn't feel that reader connection with this story. I made myself read it just so I can say that I have. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
THE American Epic. No one understood the existential dilemmas of American life more profoundly than Melville, the way that the expansiveness of the American frontier (which has its strange twin in the expansiveness of the ocean) and the radical democratic leveling of Jacksonian American made the big metaphysical questions all the more urgent and at the same time unknowable. This is the key to Ishmael's constant reveries about cetology. As he puts it, "How vain and foolish ... for timid untravelled man to try to comprehend aright this wondrous whale, by merely poring over his dead attenuated skeleton." The novel is funny, thrilling, and lyrical, and if you think you don't like it, you should give it another try. And if you still don't like it, try again. After that, I'm afraid there's no hope for you. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
Forfatter: Herman Melville

Moby Dick I
«Kall meg Ismael. For noen år siden - akkurat når det var, er likegyldig - bestemte jeg meg for å gå til sjøs og lære verdenshavene å kjenne. Jeg hadde lite eller ingenting å leve av, og ikke noe særlig som interesserte meg på land. Gå til sjøs - på den måten har jeg ofte drevet tungsinn på flukt og regulert blodomløpet.»
Slik begynner verdens kanskje mest kjente roman, romanen som stiller de vanskeligste og viktigste spørsmål; om det ondes og godes natur og om viljens mulighet til å trosse skjebnen.

Moby Dick II
Historien om kaptein Akabs glødende hat til den hvite hvalen fortsetter:
«Riggen levde. Mastetoppene var som høye palmer, var vidt behengt med armer og ben. Enkelte av sjøfolkene klynget seg til spirene med den ene hånden, mens de utålmodig viftet med den andre. Noen satt ytterst ute på de gyngende rærne og skjermet øynene mot det skarpe solskinnet. Hele riggen var full av dødelige mennesker, rede og modne til å ta imot sin skjebne. Å, hvor de stirret ut gjennom det uendelige blå, for å oppdage det vesen som kanskje skulle ødelegge dem!»

Herman Melville
Herman Melville (1819-1891), amerikansk forfatter, essayist og poet. Melville blir ansett å være blant de fremste amerikanske forfattere gjennom tidene, og hans hovedverk Moby Dick (1851) regnes som en av verdenslitteraturens største romaner. Samtidens forfattere hadde gått på de «riktige» skolene, mens Melvilles bakgrunn var annerledes. Han ble født inn i en rikmannsfamilie, men måtte tidlig greie seg selv. Som ung gutt gikk han til sjøs og sa senere; «havet ble mitt universitet». Melville hadde store reiser og merkelig eventyr bak seg da Moby Dick kom ut. Han hadde seilt i over fire år, var to ganger rundt Kapp Horn og hadde levd blant kannibaler etter at han deserterte på Marquesas-øyene. Melville kjente virkelig til det livet han beskriver i boken, et farefullt liv i jakten på havets gull, spermasetthvalens verdifulle olje.
added by KystbiblioteketOslo | editFlyt Forlag, Anne Nygren

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

There Leviathan, Hugest of living creatures, in the deep
Stretch'd like a promontory sleeps or swims,
And seems a moving land; and at his gills
Draws in, and at his breath spouts out a sea.
PARADISE LOST
In token

of my admiration for his genius,

This Book is Inscribed

to

Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world.
Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off — then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. ...from Chapter 1 : Loomings
"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me."
All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event--in the living act, the undoubted deed—there, some unknown but still reasoning thing put forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.
To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
Please do not combine adaptations or abridged editions of Moby Dick with unabridged versions. Versions aimed at children are normally abridged editions and should not be combined here. Also, books ABOUT Moby Dick (such as study guides) should not be combined with the unabridged nor the abridged novel. Please keep such books as an independent work.
The ISBN 9025463312 is shared with a different work.
The Penguin Classics 150th Anniversary Ed (ISBN 0142000086) is not abridged, although that word has appeared in some user's data.
Norton Critical editions, Longman Critical editions and other scholarly editions should not be combined with the unabridged novel. The scholarly-type editions contain much additional material so they should be considered as separate works.
Call me Ishmael.
Score: Whale 1, Ahab 0.
I alone returned.
(bertilak)

Over a century and a half after its publication, Moby-Dick still stands as an indisputable literary classic. It is the story of an eerily compelling madman pursuing an unholy war against a creature as vast and dangerous and unknowable as the sea itself. But more than just a novel of adventure, more than an encyclopedia of whaling lore and legend, Moby-Dick is a haunting, mesmerizing, and important social commentary populated with several of the most unforgettable and enduring characters in literature. Written with wonderfully redemptive humor, Moby-Dick is a profound and timeless inquiry into character, faith, and the nature of perception.

@greatwhitetale Call me Ishmael. You could call me something else if you want, but since that’s my name, it would make sense to call me Ishmael.

Captain obsessed with finding a whale called Moby Dick. Sounds like the meanest VD ever, if you ask me. Sorry. Old joke. Couldn’t resist.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:32 -0400)

Moby-Dick] is an 1851 novel by Herman Melville. The story tells the adventures of the wandering sailor Ishmael and his voyage on the whaleship Pequod, commanded by Captain Ahab. Ishmael soon learns that Ahab seeks one specific whale, Moby Dick, a white whale of tremendous size and ferocity. Comparatively few whaleships know of Moby Dick, and fewer yet have encountered him. In a previous encounter, the whale destroyed Ahab's boat and bit off his leg. Ahab intends to take revenge. -- Wikipedia.… (more)

Legacy Library: Herman Melville

Herman Melville has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Herman Melville's legacy profile.

See Herman Melville's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437247, 0142000086, 0143105957, 0141198958

Library of America Paperback Classics

An edition of this book was published by Library of America Paperback Classics.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,762,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible