Ink and Ashes by Valynne E. Maetani

Ink and Ashes (edition 2015)

by Valynne E. Maetani (Author)

Member:Terrell_Sanzone
Title:Ink and Ashes
Authors:Valynne E. Maetani (Author)
Info:Tu Books (2015), Edition: 1, 368 pages
Collections:Won
Tags:to-read

Ink and Ashes by Valynne E. Maetani

So, I accidentally read this book...I know...sounds dumb, but I mistakenly thought it was on a list of books that I am required to read for a committee I am on, but I am so glad I read it! I loved this book! I loved Claire and how determined she was in everything she did. I love that she's not a simpering, whiny MC depending on everyone else to save/help her. With that being said, however, she does have a crew of boys/family that are with her all the way, and that is AWESOME. I have always envied people that have life-long friends that remain friends through thick and thin, and this is how Claire's crew is.

I loved the protectiveness of the guys, but I also love that Claire is still very independent.

I loved the mystery, I loved the suspense, and I loved the outcome. All-in-all, this is a MUST READ! ( )
  KWadyko | Mar 5, 2018 |
You know, it's really refreshing to read a book where all the situations are completely plausible and are handled like they would be in real life (aka talking to your parents! contacting the police!). This was good, really good. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
A little suspense, a little family drama, a little romance, all add up to a page turning read. ( )
  kimpiddington | Feb 15, 2017 |
Claire suddenly finds that her dad and her step-father might have a history together that she and her siblings knew nothing about. A curious and tenacious person, Claire enlists the help of her brothers and best friends to get to the bottom of the mystery. Unfortunately, it takes them places they don't want to go and gets them in a lot of life-threatening situations.
There's a romance.
There's action and suspense.
I read this book in an afternoon. It hooked me in, and I wanted to know what was going on. The group is pretty ingenious.
Might be a little mature for 4-5, but I think middle schoolers would really like it! ( )
  ewyatt | Aug 17, 2016 |
Great to read a stand alone novel; though the author left some clues that could be continued in another follow-up novel. Overall, I would classify this as a one stop book. Death, mystery, family secrets, and an alliance among the 6 teens moves the plot along quickly. Plausible and not too predictable makes this realistic fiction novel great read for teens in high school and perhaps junior high. Glossary at the end will help with the Japanese terms used throughout the book. Overall recommendations: teens, semi- mystery lovers, Japanese culture affectionados, family relationships and secrets interests, and those who want to see how a bunch of friends who act as family deal with deep, dark family secrets. ( )
  cablesclasses | Apr 17, 2016 |

"When Japanese American Claire Takata finds out that her deceased father was once a member of the yakuza, a Japanese crime syndicate, danger enters her life that could end up killing someone"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,480,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible