Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Links (original 1923; edition 1974)

by Agatha Christie

Member:wisewoman
Title:Murder on the Links
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Dell (1974), Mass Market Paperback
Collections:My Library
Tags:Mystery

Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie (1923)

English (48)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (51)
Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie - good

Oops, another Agatha Christie so soon after the last one! My excuse is that I've needed to read things on my kindle recently as I've hurt my arm and am finding holding a book difficult. This was sitting in my TBR folder just tempting me. Sadly, as it was given to me, I think whatever software was used to break the DRM mangled the text a bit as there were a few places which had [missing], thankfully not enough to spoil the read, but a little annoying.

This one is written from Hasting's perspective and I found that quite different (think it is the first of that style I've read). It was also different from the TV adaptation which was quite refreshing (didn't like the way the TV played up silly rivalries and added comedy).

Not the best Agatha Christie, not the worst. Certainly worked in the 'keep Chrys occupied without straining her arm' stakes!
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I can't stand Arthur Hastings. I never loved fussy Poirot with his mustache and his LGC's, so I fully expected to be annoyed by him – but by the end of this book I was longing to slip into an alternate universe in which Hastings became the next murder victim. I assume he's supposed to be an ass (see what I did there?), but good grief, he's an overachiever.

Case in point: "Now I am old-fashioned. A woman, I consider, should be womanly. I have no patience with the modern neurotic girl who jazzes from morning till night, smokes like a chimney, and uses language which would make a Billingsgate fishwoman blush!" My ladylike response to this in a Kindle note was "Bite me, Hastings."

Also, anyone who can say "My blood literally froze at the sight" - twice - instantaneously loses any lingering respect I might have had.

There are just a number of oddities in the writing, which I didn't expect from Christie. Like: "'One can see by his face that he was stabbed in the back,' remarked Poirot." That still makes me smile. Honestly, the whole bent of the mystery just seemed silly, and had me making snide or incredulous notes throughout. In the end, Poirot was so arrogant, and Hastings such a moron, and the plot so ludicrous I was left feeling like I was reading some pastiche instead of the genuine Christie.

Something interesting that did pop up:

I believe that a well-known anecdote exists to the effect that a young writer, determined to make the commencement of his story forcible and original enough to catch and rivet the attention of the most blasé of editors, penned the following sentence: '"Hell!" said the Duchess.'

- I assumed that was a reference to Lord Peter; the very first line of his very first appearance is '"Oh, damn!" said Lord Peter Wimsey at Piccadilly Circus.' But there actually is a book by Michael Arlen – called, in fact, "Hell!" Said the Duchess. I wonder, though: "Hell" came out in 1934, and Whose Body? In 1923 – was "hell" a response to Peter's "Damn!"? ( )
  Stewartry | Jan 24, 2016 |
Picked up a copy of this at a used book store this summer. That leaves only 4 Christie mysteries that I haven't read. Poirot at the height of his investigative power, with more input that usual from Hastings. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Jan 19, 2016 |

This book is not only a mystery, but it is about relationships & romance. As most all Christie's mysteries are about relationships, that of the victim to the suspects and the murderer(s), as well as the friendships the detectives have their co-detectives.

M. Poirot receives an extraordinary letter from businessman M. Renauld: "For God's sake, come!" Poirot and Hastings go to Renauld's home, only to find that Renauld had been murdered that morning. Meeting them at the gate is Marthe, the girl M. Poirot noted has "anxious eyes".

Madame Renauld was tied up and her husband taken away. Entry to the house was through the open front door. Renauld's body was found, stabbed in the back, in a newly-dug pit that was to serve as a sand bunker of the adjacent golf course. Renauld had sent his son Jack away on business to South America; given the chauffeur a holiday; his secretary, Gabriel Stoner, remains in England, leaving three female servants in the house.

A servant reported that neighbour Madame Daubreuil, the mother of Marthe, (had paid two hundred thousand francs into her bank account in recent weeks) visited M. Renauld after Madame Renauld had retired for the night but another servant contended it was an unknown woman who came the day before, whom Renauld urged to "leave now".

At the scene of crime there was: a smashed watch; a long piece of lead pipe; a love letter signed by "Bella"; the fragment of a check with the name "Duveen"; and the murder weapon (a letter opener used as a dagger). Renauld changed his will two weeks before, leaving almost everything to his wife and nothing to his son.

While the M. Poirot, the French magistrate and police do their work, Monsieur Giraud of the Sûreté joins them and is overtly hostile to M.Poirot and the rest of the team.

Hastings had previously encountered a young lady whom he named "Cinderella" on a train to Calais and fell in love with her. She later turned up at the links and asked Hastings to be shown the scene of the crime. Like the great azz Hastings is, he left her alone at the scene of the crime and she absconded with the murder weapon.

Jack Renauld returns home, his ship having been delayed. Jack admits to arguing with his father over who he wants to marry, but shows he is unaware of the change in the will. Marthe is the girl in question, considered unsuitable to both his parents.

Meanwhile when M. Poirot is away, another body was found with the same dagger in his heart. No one recognises the well–dressed man who, by his hands, could be a tramp. It is found that the man died before Renauld's murder. When M. Poirot examined the new corpse with the doctor they find that the man died of an epileptic fit and was stabbed after death.

So the book goes on & on, with many side clues, investigations, & romantic involvement. The characters are not likeable and most of the dialog between M. Poirot & Hastings is imbecilic blathering. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Audio book performed by Hugh Fraser

Captain Arthur Hastings narrates this second book in the mystery series featuring Hercule Poirot. It all begins when Hastings meets a young woman on a train. In short order Poirot receives a letter from a South American millionaire living in France stating that his life is in danger and pleading with Poirot to come at once. Hastings and Poirot immediately go to France, only to find that their “client” has been murdered. There is no shortage of suspects – wife, son, neighbors, vagrants, even the girl on the train shows up. The local police are not happy to have Poirot interfering but he insists on his using his superior “little grey cells” to ferret out the truth amid all the clues, red herrings, prevarications, and intrigues.

I love Poirot, but I don’t think this is Christie’s best effort. In my opinion, the whole love-interest between Hastings and the girl stretches credulity too far, and is totally superfluous to the basic plot; did I say “basic” – it’s really far from basic, in fact it’s overly complicated. Given that this was originally published in 1923, and was only the second book in the series, I should probably cut Christie some slack, and I will. It’s still an entertaining cozy, and I was interested from beginning to end.

Hugh Fraser does a marvelous job performing the audio version. He really brings Poirot (and the many other characters) to life.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gibbs, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moffatt, JohnStarring cast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Husband

a fellow enthusiast for detective stories

and to whom I am indebted for much

helpful advice and criticism

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425067947, Mass Market Paperback)

A millionaire's been found stabbed in the back on his private golf course. Hercule Poirot finds no shortage of suspects in the victim's family tree, but even he is surprised when the killer strikes again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:07 -0400)

An urgent cry for help brings Poirot to France. But he arrives too late to save his client, whose brutally stabbed body now lies face downwards in a shallow grave on a golf course. But why is the dead man wearing his son's overcoat? And who was the impassioned love-letter in the pocket for? Before Poirot can answer these questions, the care is turned upside down by the discovery of a second, identically murdered corpse.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible